Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Range Loss Over Time, What Can Be Expected, Efficiency, How to Maintain Battery Health

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
255wh/mile. 25,000 miles. September 2018 Stealth M3. 18” aeros 100%. 1.5 mile in town commute and many 1-6 hour trips. Likely down to 250 wh/m by the two year mark, as cold weather in winter uses much more energy on short daily commute and, as noted, I bought in the fall.

I realize there are a lot of variables which is why I posted the question. I'm not asking what should I be getting, I'm just curious how my usage stacks up with everyone else. I live in Southeast Texas which is extremely flat. The only hills we have around here are overpasses. I would define my driving style as spirited. Lol.

I have a model 3 long range dual motor but not performance. I'm running on stock wheels and tires but without the aero hubcaps...

I have the exact same config as you, @jlg32281 , but I live in Ottawa, Canada - so two cold winters take ~40% range off in cold weather. My average has been 323 wh / mile (201 wh / km) over 32,000 miles. I've also driven a 7,800 mile trip from Ottawa, through Texas to Monterrey Mexico, up to California and back which I did at 278 wh/m. :)

road-trip-to-mexico-california-google-maps-jpg.478973

Hi I am new to the forum and I have just ordered a new Tesla Model 3.

I have a 220V 14-50 charger installed in my home.
I have a universal charger available to me at work (free).

My normal daily drive is about 20 miles roundtrip to and from work.

Just in preparation, I wanted tips on how to charge my Model 3, so that I preserve range throughout the years and preserve battery life.

I have read the Tesla website where it says to charge with low voltage daily and stay between 10-90% charge.

Is 220V considered to high then in this scenario?

And is someone able to provide tips on how to maintain my battery life and range?

I am one of those people that likes to research things to the death so that I live in the most optimal way :)

Thank you for reading. Cheers

Two things ...
@ Teslizzel23: If I was starting over, I'd leave charge limit at 90% and charge to that daily. I think 220V is considered normal voltage for these cars.

Second thing: I think something is off with the software in these cars. I love my 2019 LR RWD, but lately I've noticed this ...
1. I received the car in June of 2019
2. It charged reliably to 292 for 90% for months.
3. It charged to 324 once at 100% for a trip
4. After a software update around October 2019, 100% became 318, 90% 286
5. Around March 2020, my 100% suddenly became 310
6. Since COVID started, the car sits a lot and loses charge just cooling itself
7. I never let the SOC drop below 45% or so, but when I charge from < 60% to 90%, the mileage number generally drifts down from 279 each time (think it was 277 last)

Doesn't make me particularly anxious, as I bought the LR expecting this and I'm around the 5% loss that most consensus says is normal. Just thought I'd share a bit.

Every week I’m losing 1-2miles on my SR+ With 24kmi. Estimated range of 210 when slider set to 100. Was told the initial degradation would ease off, but it’s been on a constant pace since I got the car. It’s turning into a game for me at the moment and I’m looking forward to 199miles at full charge.

Pretty ridiculous seeing a LR model 3 with 100,000+ miles that lives only off super chargers have less degradation than mine. Obviously a contributing a factor is the LR battery.

CD5B00AD-27FB-4ED7-8E8D-91AEE363A358.jpeg

• Informative
Reactions: mrgoogle
Every week I’m losing 1-2miles on my SR+ With 24kmi. Estimated range of 210 when slider set to 100. Was told the initial degradation would ease off, but it’s been on a constant pace since I got the car. It’s turning into a game for me at the moment and I’m looking forward to 199miles at full charge.

Pretty ridiculous seeing a LR model 3 with 100,000+ miles that lives only off super chargers have less degradation than mine. Obviously a contributing a factor is the LR battery.

View attachment 569753
Not an SR? SR+?

It's possible having the pack is inherently less stable. Get it looked at.

View attachment 569753

There’s comfort in numbers....not really. Mine was at 209 yesterday when I checked. August 2019 SR+ with 21k miles.

D44F0229-61E0-45F6-A957-538A7EDA84CE.png

• Informative
Reactions: mrgoogle
Range loss regained - but no idea why.

1. software update in May?
2. charging to 80% rather than 90%?
3. COVID antibodies?
3. anybody's guess?

BatteryDegReport7-24-20b.jpg BatteryDegReport7-24-20a.jpg

Nov 2018 M3D Extended Range 26400 miles
two road-trips 1600 and 1000 miles.
all home charges other than V2 superchargers on the road-trips
Two charges to 100%

Is this rather steady loss and recovery common?
The X axis on the graph is heavily truncated, but even so...

Range loss regained - but no idea why.

1. software update in May?
2. charging to 80% rather than 90%?
3. COVID antibodies?
3. anybody's guess?

View attachment 569930 View attachment 569931

Nov 2018 M3D Extended Range 26400 miles
two road-trips 1600 and 1000 miles.
all home charges other than V2 superchargers on the road-trips
Two charges to 100%

Is this rather steady loss and recovery common?
The X axis on the graph is heavily truncated, but even so...

Aliens.

View attachment 569753
My SR+ has been and is like that aswell it’s almost 9 months old or so and been way lower then others since we got it,

i Have forced Tesla to look at it 2 times but in short “no errors fits the fleet, we don’t do anything about it” They even say and tell you capacity remaining is secret and I was lucky I didn’t get charged for a battery check