Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Range Loss Over Time, What Can Be Expected, Efficiency, How to Maintain Battery Health

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My 2018 LR RWD (310 miles new, 325 mile update) had been rock solid at 313 miles up until this past October and has trended to about 300 miles over the past two months. Today I woke up to the reported 100% charge being 253 miles.

Is this a case of the app displaying expected range based on the past consumption, miscalibration, or sudden capacity loss?

From my experience, the number on the app has always been rated range, not projected range. If it's simply displaying projected range then I have no issues other than wishing that it would state "projected range at current temperatures".

Yes, I realize that my battery is cold, but the range number has never cared about that before.
swfIupa.jpg
The range number reps the green section. It’s not counting the blue. Mine has knocked as much as 30 miles off my range estimate.

My 2020 M3 full-charge is 303 miles indicated after charging 100% (65ºF).
I have only 4,000 miles on the car. First time I've only charged it 100% once since I bought it.
That's a 10% loss compared to the claim. Additionally, I noticed that the my new M3 gets worse mileage than the old M3.

Note: My 2018 M3 full-charge was 318 miles indicated after charging 100%. That car was 2yrs old and had 18K miles. Additionally, I noticed that the my new M3 gets worse mileage than the old M3.

Why is the new car so much worse than the old car? Is this perhaps a battery problem? Thoughts?

Current Stats:

Oct 2018 Model 3 AWD LR
51,000 miles
Full Charge limit is 281 vs 310
Everyday is set to 90% with mostly home charger.

You're doing better than me. Mine has been dropping quickly over the last month. I was getting 225-235 miles at 80% a month ago. I made an appointment to have the service look at it.
Oct 2018 Model 3 AWD LR
40,000 miles
The full Charge limit is 260
80% charge gets me 208 miles
Charge to 80% almost every day, rarely use supercharging.

I'm at 3500 miles. Just installed and ran ScanMyTesla for the 1st time. I know from the graphs that there is an initial fall in battery degradation before it stabilizes... at what miles does that fall take place and whats a reasonable range for that fall?

Aloha All,
I have a 2021 Model 3; it's not a car, it's a spaceship! Anyway, I know this is a the most common concern, but after watching YouTube and trying to research the topic myself, I've come up with the following charging method:
PLUG IN EVERY DAY NO MATTER WHAT.

I live in a condo and have no home charging. Oahu has very few higher powered chargers that cost a FORTUNE to charge (starts at 49 cents a KWH). Luckily there are a few free chargers at Ala Moana Mall where I charge my car.
Sooooo, if I drive only a few miles a day can I charge every other day from 75-80% up to 90%?
Advance Thanks to all!

Aloha All,
I have a 2021 Model 3; it's not a car, it's a spaceship! Anyway, I know this is a the most common concern, but after watching YouTube and trying to research the topic myself, I've come up with the following charging method:
PLUG IN EVERY DAY NO MATTER WHAT.

I live in a condo and have no home charging. Oahu has very few higher powered chargers that cost a FORTUNE to charge (starts at 49 cents a KWH). Luckily there are a few free chargers at Ala Moana Mall where I charge my car.
Sooooo, if I drive only a few miles a day can I charge every other day from 75-80% up to 90%?
Advance Thanks to all!

(moderator note: moved to master thread which discusses battery health)

===================================

To answer your question, yes, you can if thats what you prefer to do.

• Love
Reactions: Kianaf808
Thank you!!

Your welcome. To prevent you from feeling like you need to (or should) read this entire thread, in general:

1. The recommendation to plug in all the time is one more of convenience from tesla's end. Its also to prevent people from "forgetting" to plug in, and not understanding that their car will lose range just sitting there, even if they dont drive it.

2. As long as you understand the above (that the car will lose range sitting there when you dont drive it), and keep enough range in your car for things you want to or need to do, you can charge it however is convenient for you, between the battery percentages of about 50% to about 90%.

3. Avoid charging to 100% frequently, only do so when you will be driving soon, and think you need the range (unlikely on the island I would think)

4. Avoid leaving the car at low states of charge for a long time (10-15%).

thats pretty much it. The rest (and there is a LOT of "the rest") is people digging into details because they either enjoy it, or are paranoid about it.

I probably only drive about once a week at this point, and probably only to the grocery store or similar. Maybe less.

Thinking only in terms of what's best for the battery, should I leave it charging continuously, set a scheduled charge and allow it to fluctuate a bit, or does it even matter?

I don't care about off peak charging, and I'm only charging on 120v to 70%. Sentinel is on.

I probably only drive about once a week at this point, and probably only to the grocery store or similar. Maybe less.

Thinking only in terms of what's best for the battery, should I leave it charging continuously, set a scheduled charge and allow it to fluctuate a bit, or does it even matter?

I don't care about off peak charging, and I'm only charging on 120v to 70%. Sentinel is on.

(moderator note: moved to battery master thread)

==============================

To answer your question, it doesnt really matter. Set it to whatever percentage you want (in your case 70%) and let it top off as needed. Since you are using sentry mode, it will need to charge some every day anyway, and it doesnt matter much whether its every day, every couple of days etc.

Reactions: ehacke
Picked up my 2021 m3p 2 weeks ago. Been charging to about 80% or 250 miles. I drive 26 miles on my commute one way and am using 45 miles of battery range.

Conditions: in chill mode not sport, 90% highway driving at 80mph. 48 degrees F outside.

Is it normal to lose this much charge?

Picked up my 2021 m3p 2 weeks ago. Been charging to about 80% or 250 miles. I drive 26 miles on my commute one way and am using 45 miles of battery range.

Conditions: in chill mode not sport, 90% highway driving at 80mph. 48 degrees F outside.

Is it normal to lose this much charge?

Very easy to see that when doing short trips in cooler temperatures. Longer trips are more efficient in the cold than many short trips in the cold.

Also, speed becomes a major factor the faster you go.