Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Range Loss Over Time, What Can Be Expected, Efficiency, How to Maintain Battery Health

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Picked up my 2021 m3p 2 weeks ago. Been charging to about 80% or 250 miles. I drive 26 miles on my commute one way and am using 45 miles of battery range.

Conditions: in chill mode not sport, 90% highway DRIVING AT 80. 48 degrees F outside.

Is it normal to lose this much charge?

As mentioned, yes perfectly normal at the speed I bolded in your quote above.

Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
Picked up my 2021 m3p 2 weeks ago. Been charging to about 80% or 250 miles. I drive 26 miles on my commute one way and am using 45 miles of battery range.

Conditions: in chill mode not sport, 90% highway driving at 80mph. 48 degrees F outside.

Is it normal to lose this much charge?

Yes, totally normal. Sounds like a fine result. Expect no more than 240 miles of range, starting at 100% charge, at those speeds. This assumes you are not using the heat at all. Knock it down to ~225 miles with the heat. For shorter drives you won’t make these projected numbers due to startup transient.

Moral of the story: don’t use chill mode, unless you like it for some reason. It’s certainly not going to save you energy, at all, unless you are not in control of your faculties.

Reactions: jjrandorin
I'm new to Tesla and only took delivery of a Model 3 a week before Christmas with no handover due to Covid. A have a few questions relating to battery charge and preconditioning:

I fully charged my vehicle at work before Christmas (338 miles - 544Km). I done approx 100 miles (160km) and the battery has only 70 miles (112km) remaining. It has been pretty cold in the mornings sub zero degree C and I have been doing lots of very short journeys - between 4 and 8 miles. Is this normal range for journey type and temperature?

Ive also noticed that climate control is coming on in the evening when the car is standing on the drive. I need to check whether I have inadvertently set a scheduled heat up or would the car do that in cold conditions? I did set up a departure whilst trialling a 13amp charge, to finish at 10pm. Is it anything to do with that? the car was not plugged in when I noticed the climate control coming on.

Although I am having a home charger installed tomorrow I intend charging at work the majority of the time which is about 9 miles (15K) away. How should I precondition the battery? Can I just set the Defrost Icon on the app say 15minutes before I depart? Is 15 minutes long enough? or do I need to start full climate control? or do i need to set a schedule or departure and plug in? I want to keep plug in charging at home to a minimum. If I set a depart time but did not plug in would it precondition the battery and car?

I intend having a further look and read up over the next couple of days but wondered whether anyone on here could give some valued advice?

I'm new to Tesla and only took delivery of a Model 3 a week before Christmas with no handover due to Covid. A have a few questions relating to battery charge and preconditioning:

I fully charged my vehicle at work before Christmas (338 miles - 544Km). I done approx 100 miles (160km) and the battery has only 70 miles (112km) remaining. It has been pretty cold in the mornings sub zero degree C and I have been doing lots of very short journeys - between 4 and 8 miles. Is this normal range for journey type and temperature?

Ive also noticed that climate control is coming on in the evening when the car is standing on the drive. I need to check whether I have inadvertently set a scheduled heat up or would the car do that in cold conditions? I did set up a departure whilst trialling a 13amp charge, to finish at 10pm. Is it anything to do with that? the car was not plugged in when I noticed the climate control coming on.

Although I am having a home charger installed tomorrow I intend charging at work the majority of the time which is about 9 miles (15K) away. How should I precondition the battery? Can I just set the Defrost Icon on the app say 15minutes before I depart? Is 15 minutes long enough? or do I need to start full climate control? or do i need to set a schedule or departure and plug in? I want to keep plug in charging at home to a minimum. If I set a depart time but did not plug in would it precondition the battery and car?

I intend having a further look and read up over the next couple of days but wondered whether anyone on here could give some valued advice?
Short trips tend to show higher energy usage so that is normal.
Until the latest software update the scheduled departure was ignored when the car wasn’t plugged in. Now it will attempt to precondition when not plugged in as well.

Short trips tend to show higher energy usage so that is normal.
Until the latest software update the scheduled departure was ignored when the car wasn’t plugged in. Now it will attempt to precondition when not plugged in as well.
Many thanks - I think that it has just started preconditioning since the new software - why I had not noticed it before.

Is there a particular reason for not wanting to charge while at home?

The car uses power when parked. If you have either Sentry, or Smart Summon, or Overheat Protection on, you could lose as much as 1.4miles/hr while parked. With those off, in Summer you might only lose 0.1miles/hr. Depending upon how cold it is, you might lose more in Winter, 0.2 to 0.4miles/hr.

My Model 3 LR charging parameters have seemed to change. When adjusting the addition of miles on the battery sliding dial, the highest I can adjust the mileage to is only 300 miles. The car should have a range of 353 miles. I currently have 2400 miles on my car and usually charge to 250 mile range.

Input with regard to this would be very appreciated l

Believe the input you are going to get is to ignore the miles and pay attention to the percentage/charge level like you would a gas gauge in an ICE vehicle.
This is pretty close to the standard Tesla answer of “it’s within spec”.

The range display *should* be static based on EPA rating, wheel size, etc while taking into account degradation. But it isn’t. And Tesla isn’t very forthcoming with how that number is calculated.

Reactions: mrgoogle
Moral of the story: don’t use chill mode, unless you like it for some reason. It’s certainly not going to save you energy, at all, unless you are not in control of your faculties.

That isn't my experience at all. I have a Stealth performance.

While sure you can likely get exactly the same power usage as you would in chill mode, in practice you'll achieve much better range in chill mode simply because you can no longer have massive burst of acceleration.

That isn't my experience at all. I have a Stealth performance.

While sure you can likely get exactly the same power usage as you would in chill mode, in practice you'll achieve much better range in chill mode simply because you can no longer have massive burst of acceleration.

Even if you have no control of your faculties, for range you’ll be accelerating at most 3-4 times per charge, so I can’t see it making any significant difference, unless you slam on the brakes after accelerating.

I’ve never seen any difference between chill mode and performance mode - as long as you have control of your faculties, as I said. And if you stay in the chill envelope in sport mode, the result will be identical.

I never even worry about it on a road trip. It makes no difference. Just gun it, and don’t ever use the brakes, and avoid regen as well.

• Helpful
Reactions: Arctic_White
My Model 3 LR charging parameters have seemed to change. When adjusting the addition of miles on the battery sliding dial, the highest I can adjust the mileage to is only 300 miles. The car should have a range of 353 miles. I currently have 2400 miles on my car and usually charge to 250 mile range.

Hard to tell much without more background and info. Screenshots would help.

Reactions: AlanSubie4Life

When the forum allows it, post a picture. Or post a link to one elsewhere. Or be careful to describe what you are seeing. I assume you have AWD not Performance.

Is there a particular reason for not wanting to charge while at home?

The car uses power when parked. If you have either Sentry, or Smart Summon, or Overheat Protection on, you could lose as much as 1.4miles/hr while parked. With those off, in Summer you might only lose 0.1miles/hr. Depending upon how cold it is, you might lose more in Winter, 0.2 to 0.4miles/hr.
Only that it is free for me to charge at work. I'm having charger installed at home this morning - still new to this and learning the best ways to run the car. at the moment I'm disappointed withe the range I am experiencing but over Christmas I have only done short trips so not really given a chance for the battery to warm up. How long should you precondition before driving? Does using climate control on the app precondition. Steadily learning - I think?

PLUG IN EVERY DAY NO MATTER WHAT.
I'm a new owner, but that's reportedly not the best method for battery life. It's best to charge it to 90% (or 80% when hot), and let it drop to 20 to 30% before recharging it. And also to let the car go to sleep every day, if possible, meaning no sentry mode all the time, since it doesn't let the car go to sleep. Something to do with the car reading SOCs lower every day, rather than 90% (or whatever you have it capped at) all the time. That's what Tesla says, but the elaborate tech explanation made sense to me, so will do that instead :). Hope this helps.

I'm a new owner, but that's reportedly not the best method for battery life. It's best to charge it to 90% (or 80% when hot), and let it drop to 20 to 30% before recharging it. And also to let the car go to sleep every day, if possible, meaning no sentry mode all the time, since it doesn't let the car go to sleep. Something to do with the car reading SOCs lower every day, rather than 90% (or whatever you have it capped at) all the time. That's what Tesla says, but the elaborate tech explanation made sense to me, so will do that instead :). Hope this helps.
You’re taking what people with BMS drift are using to recover. Generally do whatever strategy you like, and if you find it not meeting your expectations, then try something different. There’s been no discernible pattern to what works and what doesn’t. We know, in theory, what should be better, but in practice, everyone’s battery is unique, and so what works for someone else, may not work for you. Thus, do what you want.

Only that it is free for me to charge at work. I'm having charger installed at home this morning - still new to this and learning the best ways to run the car. at the moment I'm disappointed withe the range I am experiencing but over Christmas I have only done short trips so not really given a chance for the battery to warm up. How long should you precondition before driving? Does using climate control on the app precondition. Steadily learning - I think?
Well how long your vehicle needs to precondition depends upon which heater it has. Mine is resistive, so it heats almost instantly. 15mins is plenty. A heat pump probably takes longer, but I don’t have one, so I don’t know how much longer. You probably have already figured it out based upon your experience. Turning on climate is fine. Defrost will just set everything on high.

preconditioning helps with your efficiency since you don’t have to heat up the car when you get going. However, your range issue is impossible to decipher without any information. What efficiency is your vehicle showing? And I’ve already explained that there’s phantom drain due to Sentry or Smart summon and climate protection. Without information, no one can help you.

• Informative
Reactions: Arctic_White
Will using only superchargers (from 20-80%) for an entire year affect my overall battery health?

Good Morning TMC! Long-time lurker, first time poster. I just got my Model 3 LR a couple of weeks ago, so it "should" come with the free 1 year of supercharging. I am currently using the mobile charger at home, but was wondering if there are any negatives to taking full advantage of the free supercharging while I've got it.

Thanks a ton in advance!