Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Range Loss Over Time, What Can Be Expected, Efficiency, How to Maintain Battery Health

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
i bought my model 3 in aug 2018. After the software upgrade I only got 316 miles when charged to 100%. Last night I got only 312 miles from 5% SOC to 100%. A 4% degradation within 10 months? Have others degraded similarly?

you say you got 312 miles charging from between 5% to 100% SOC? As written, that would mean your total range = 328 miles.

Or if you meant that when you got to 100% SOC the car showed 312, the difference from your post-firmware range increase is only 4 miles, which is about a 1% degradation. Not everyone saw their range increase to the full 325mi after the firmware update. I'd even wager that most people did not. So I would not use 325 in your calcs unless you actually witnessed your car charging to that amount after the update.

i bought my model 3 in aug 2018. After the software upgrade I only got 316 miles when charged to 100%. Last night I got only 312 miles from 5% SOC to 100%. A 4% degradation within 10 months? Have others degraded similarly?

Same here. I’ve had my LR RWD 3 w 19in Sport wheel since April 2018 and seen the initial 3% range degradation (yielding appr. 300 total range ) earlier this year. Then, a software update when Tesla announced the 325 LR 3 increased my total range from 300 to 315.

The most recent update 2019.20.4.2 update that included Beach Buggy reduced it to 310 compared to the 315 I was getting with version 2019.20.2.1.

Doubt this is Range degradation but Tesla discontinuing the 325 mile LR model 3 altogether.

Thoughts?

Wow some ppl in this forum are worse than Apple fanboys. The OP was just asking about range and how others have been effected and you hit him with disagrees and saying he should be appreciative it's more miles than he purchased it....but that's not the point. Tesla put out a press release that he should have either 325 or 315 miles now, depending on model, that's the advertised range now.

People have to understand that the range is determined by EPA not Tesla, and it is performed under a specific driving criteria. Not real world driving conditions. Gasoline engines are rated by EPA as well. If you can find me any vehicle that matches the MPG they promise please let me know because I have not seen one yet, and gasoline cars are not even close to their EPA rating.

10,000 miles. I have charged to 100% about 5 times.

Normally routine is to drain the battery to around 15% and charge to 90%. About one charge every 3-4 days. I do not follow the plug it in all the time rule.

I think I’m doing quite well.

3A3F68B5-4B2B-4953-8600-7BE7AA1F8BB6.png

My April 2018 build had 321 when the update happened with approx.18k miles, I now have 27k and have seen it as low as 304 and then adjust up to almost 310 recently, currently shows 308, I have had the battery down to 20% and charged to 90% a couple of times and it seemed to help with reported range adjustments, I will be road tripping soon and we will see if there are any changes then, I tend to arrive at Superchargers with less than 10% on this route when stopping at Harris Ranch and when I eat I charge to 100% as long as there is very light usage there so maybe reported range will change after this?

I noticed that after updating to 2019.32 my M3 doesn't fully charge any longer! I always charge to 80% ~248 miles and before 2019.32 it would charge to about 250 miles. After it was always charging to 242. So I charged to 100% and it will only go to 295 Miles. I did it twice as a test and both times 100% charge is 295 miles. Anyone else have this experience?