Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MASTER THREAD: Rear view camera image goes black [2019-2020]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anyone else had this become a permanent problem? It seems like it happens for a little while to most people, then a firmware update comes along that fixes it, and people disappear from this thread.

Contrary to the person up the thread that boasted it hasn't happened since upgrading to HW 3.0, I never had it happen in over 2 years with HW 2.5 and it started happening a month after my HW 3.0 retrofit. Not right away, and not right after firmware update, just randomly started one day about a month ago.

Like most everyone else who has this problem describes, my backup camera stops working after I've been parked for a while when I have Sentry mode enabled. Overnight, the car sleeps and it works again the first time I drive the next day. This is not a "sometimes thing"; it is completely predictable and repeatable every.single.day. Disabling Sentry mode is the work around, but an unacceptable long-term solution. I'm using a Samsung SSD and I haven't tried swapping it out yet to see if that changes anything.

Four firmware updates have been pushed since this problem started and it has persisted through all of them. Mobile service came out to troubleshoot and found all the physical connections were okay. They couldn't replicate the problem. They replaced the camera to see if that would solve anything, but it didn't fix it.

I haven't seen any other complaints about this in recent months. I don't understand what it is about my specific car that is making this happen. It's just the latest in frequent bugs/annoyances that has really started to sour me about this car over the past 2.5 years.