Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MASTER THREAD: Rear view camera image goes black [2019-2020]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Varies by state, and usually need to be a serious problem you've taken in for service/repair and they've tried and failed to fix on your specific car multiple times (or vehicle entirely out of service for a certain amount of time)

Unlikely "my backup camera takes too long to display" would qualify though.

In virginia where you say you are it's not enforceable by any government agency, you'd have to settle it yourself privately with Tesla- see here:

Lemon Law

That would be a good laugh thou xD

I just got my TM3 the end of September. All was well until last week. On a road trip, I parked in a public structure and plugged in to a non-SC (@ 8 mph, ugh). A couple hours later when I got back it the car and put it in R, I got the black screen backup camera. When I drove away, my GPS was frozen, the outside cameras weren't working (no lane lines or car shapes), the TACC/AP didn't work, the driving lights were on in daylight and had to be turned off manually, and voice control was deaf. I did a soft reboot, hard reboot, and power off/on with no luck. Fortunately, I was able to pull into nearby service center. They logged in but said they didn't see anything right away so I'd have to leave it there for a week or so. Since I was headed home the next day, they said to take it into my service center. They let me charge at their SC before I left, and when I unhooked and got back into the car to leave, everything reset back to normal. Go figure.

I naively thought all was well until last Tuesday when the same cycle happened again. So in it goes next week. I'm almost regretting selling my modified 2015 Mini Cooper (which never had a single problem despite doubling the HP and taking it on road rallies).

• Funny
Reactions: Falkirk and kelly
You seem to be missing the point. The point is something is "malfunctioning" when it's supposed to be functioning. If your washing machine is malfunctioning, why don't you just wash your clothes by hand like the old days? ya know?

I was commenting on the OP saying he had to "back up blind" since his camera didn't come on. Yes, the camera should work every time but if it doesn't you don't back up blind! You look over your shoulder the way we did before there were back up cameras.

I was commenting on the OP saying he had to "back up blind" since his camera didn't come on. Yes, the camera should work every time but if it doesn't you don't back up blind! You look over your shoulder the way we did before there were back up cameras.

Ok, I can kind of buy this statement in regards to backing up blind...lol. I think the OP's statement was more of a generalization, but I see what you did.

PPL like you hold tesla down, and they get away with all their immature deeds risking everybody life. back up camera works flawlessly in my 13 years old Toyota.
Tesla with all that advancements and relying solely on cameras for ambitious AP can not resolve the basic cam technology, because some people encourage their incompetence. Now they charge $7000k for features that rely so much on their buggy cameras.

• Funny
Reactions: kelly
I agree with the OP. It’s an intermittent problem that has existed since day one in my car, 17 months ago. It still happens today in a new one. I don’t know how this can be such a hard thing to fix but they just don’t have anyone smart enough down at Tesla to make a back up camera that work every time like the other manufacturers.

I received my SR+(still HW 2.5) mid-June 2019 and it didn't really do this my first 2 weeks and after I purchaed FSD it seemed to start, but it could just be a coincidence.
An MCU reboot usually helps it load pretty consistently for a few days but I've had it happen same day as an MCU reboot too.

It seems as though everytime our car goes into sleep, it clears some sort of buffer. What I generally do is tap on the rear camera view as soon as I get in my car. Once it has loaded the stream, it seems to come back instantly during that drive.
If I let my car sleep again, it's hit or miss, almost 50/50 during the next drive.
The only consistency I've noticed is if I start up the camera app first thing, it takes a good 10-12 seconds sometimes but it always comes back quickly during that drive.
So if you plan to amaze others with your Tesla, maybe start up that camera app ahead of time for that first impression ;)

I'm on 2019.32.12.2 ATM and every version since initial purchase has had this random bug.
Tesla has detailed the FSD computer architecture quite well, but I don't know much about HW 2.5 other than the specs on Wikipedia and that it has two nVidia Drive PX 2 AI nodes and Tesla is using at least 1 of the nodes & backup camera for the perception NN.
Maybe Tesla prioritizes processing of the backup camera stream for logging/learning sometimes and the MCU is just waiting to get the access back for the driver's display?

This black camera has become a lot more common for me since the V10 update. It almost never works anymore and it's very frustrating. I'm often left backing up "blind" (looking over shoulder) into tiny spaces between giant monster trucks.

This kind of reminds me of similar issues with mobile phones. Camera apps don't always start up right away because the camera has to prepare. Similarly, the camera APIs may not even be available if another app is currently using it. I remember doing a ton of research on this behavior on Android and somewhat on iOS. For that, I sorta understand Tesla's issues.

Reactions: Type1
[cut]
It seems as though everytime our car goes into sleep, it clears some sort of buffer. What I generally do is tap on the rear camera view as soon as I get in my car. Once it has loaded the stream, it seems to come back instantly during that drive.
If I let my car sleep again, it's hit or miss, almost 50/50 during the next drive.
[cut]

I've noticed the same and have also resorted to turning rear camera on until it works after waking the car from sleep (and then it's fine until next sleep).

What's most infuriating is the lack of any formal statement on the matter.

My car has the 'black screen' issue on and off since I got it 11 months ago. I actually used that as a justification to ask (over the app) the service center to push the latest firmware update to me early this year even though it's not yet my turn (and they obliged immediately). Now I don't bat an eye when it's a few seconds late to come on. When it's excessively long, here's what I do to fix it: Close the camera window, and then manually re-invoke the rearview camera. That gets the image back on right away, at least for me.