Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MASTER THREAD: Rear view camera image goes black [2019-2020]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Usually, the car going fully to sleep fixes this issue. By fully to sleep, I mean parked, and completely off. I am willing to bet that, when you park for the evening if your car has this issue, it wont be there in the morning.

I dont think a service appointment will do anything, as I have seen this issue come and go with various firmware updates over the past year I have owned my model 3.

Its fairly annoying when you want to use the backup camera and it fails but its rare, or has been for me at least.

Reactions: OCR1
Same just happened to me. Tried soft and hard resets (steering wheel buttons plus brake) and deep sleep, none of which fixed it. May try battery disconnect tomorrow morning if it's still dead.

When this problem occurs, rebooting the car does not fix it (or at least never did for me). Car going to sleep fully always fixed it... until it appeared randomly at some other point. I havent had this on 36.2.4 yet (actually have not had this for a few firmwares, but last december when I got my car, I had this problem off and on from december to about june.

Yes and to me too yesterday. Very odd behavior - tried multiple resets, power off, disconnecting USB drive and nothing worked. After charging overnight now functions as normal. Interestingly when viewing the Teslacam files, the rear camera showed multiple mp4 files (that I couldn't open) of 500 bytes or so. All the other cameras recorded normally. I do hope that this gets resolved- in the winter dark and wet it really is a safety issue....

Moderator note: five threads, all about the same topic, were merged to make this thread.

Our cars have been having this very annoying delay or in some instances, complete black out, for the backup camera. It’s very inconvenient. We’ve tried many resets. We’re on software 2019.12.1.2. Anyone having this issue?

I had an update a few days ago and to day my camera won't work (black). Done 2 reset, still won't work. Is there a sollution?

I had this today, no combination of hard reset, soft reset, or power on/off would fix it. I had a long drive full of city traffic and parking so I took the time to pull the 12V battery negative terminal and disconnect the contactor harness under the rear passenger seat. Upon rebooting after this process, my problem was fixed. Classic case of "have you tried turning it off and then on again". Make sure if you're gonna do the battery disconnect you roll your windows down and leave the doors OPEN. Once you close them without power you're stuck, so don't do that.