Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So, the paper towel trick worked, and lo and behold the hat stained it. So, a little bit of liquid and it transfers dye.

The good news is that it enabled me to try different things to see if anything would get the dye out of the paper towel. The only thing I had any luck with was nail polish remover. So, armed with a small paintbrush and a bottle I carefully attacked the stain in the car one small spot at a time. Each time I’d finish a spot, I’d thoroughly clean the remover off of the seat. After a nerve-wracking eternity, I was able to get most of it to come out. There’s still some left but it’s a lot better than it was. Perhaps I’ll get up some more courage another day, but for now I’ll live with it.

Fascinating. That cap should be tossed if you ask me. Who knows what you’re absorbing through your skin when you sweat into it.

Definitely a problem with that cap. I would get rid of it.

But, the white stain resistant seats are supposed to be resistant against stain makers. When you have something that does not stain, you do not need stain resistance.

You only need stain resistance when you come up against a stain maker.

So the fact that the cap was a stain maker is not an excuse for the stain resistant seats.

Reactions: Icer
I have the black interior but I’m still very careful what I leave on the seats. No matter how hard I try I seem to leave sunscreen on the seats and door trim. It generally comes off with an alcohol wipe but I’m not sure how many times I can rub those stains off with alcohol before I rub off some of the dye.

With white seats I think I would be a nervous wreck. I would probably keep some towels in the car to protect the seats if I’m sweaty or covered with sunscreen.

Reactions: vickh
So, I’m a little over a week into a new (to me) Model 3 Performance. I absolutely love it, and I did a lot of reading about how great and stain resistant the white interior is. So, I went with it.

Late this week, I left a black baseball hat on the back seat for a few days. The car was in a parking garage but out of the sun. It’s a very nice hat and I’ve had it for over a year with no problems at all and no ink transfer to other things before.

Well, lo and behold, I picked the hat up and it left behind a nasty surprise. The seat now has a black fabric dye stain that I’ve now exhausted my options to get clean. Before you offer suggestions, I’ve searched on here and read every thread I could. I’ve tried just about all of it. At this point I’ve pretty much given up. Anything above what I’ve already done is likely to do some damage to the fabric. Hell, I may have already done that.

Is this a warranty-able item from Tesla? It’s just so damned disappointing that I’ve just barely gotten the car and it already has a huge noticeable blemish on the back seat.

:(

I’m certain that a little isopropyl alcohol with a microfiber cloth would take care of that. If not, a tiny amount of white shoe restorer would take care of it, lickety-split.

Lesson learned. Leave nothing on your white seats when you park the car. Put it on the rear floor carpet.
The carpet would not ever be a problem or get a black interior.
Just like people learning not to stain marble counter tops. They should have gone with Quartz.

Thought I'd share, saw this in a FB group. Looks like staining isn't isolated to black hats. The owner used alcohol, Fantastik, Magic Eraser, baby wipes, etc, none of it worked.
554b3dba-058b-4a43-b373-e86104957ab2-original.jpg

Not saying the fault lies with either party yet, but I'd think leaving a hat on a seat falls under "normal use" for the car seats. Leaving a salt water drenched hat on the seat to bake for months will probably fall under the "not normal use" category (OP said this wasn't the case).
But for the seat belt to stain is a whole other story. That's a component of the car affecting another part of the car.

• Informative
Thought I'd share, saw this in a FB group. Looks like staining isn't isolated to black hats. The owner used alcohol, Fantastik, Magic Eraser, baby wipes, etc, none of it worked.
554b3dba-058b-4a43-b373-e86104957ab2-original.jpg

Not saying the fault lies with either party yet, but I'd think leaving a hat on a seat falls under "normal use" for the car seats. Leaving a salt water drenched hat on the seat to bake for months will probably fall under the "not normal use" category (OP said this wasn't the case).
But for the seat belt to stain is a whole other story. That's a component of the car affecting another part of the car.
If this dude with the seatbelt issue is the only one experiencing this issue, more then likely he’s the cause.

Lesson learned. Leave nothing on your white seats when you park the car. Put it on the rear floor carpet.
The carpet would not ever be a problem or get a black interior.
Just like people learning not to stain marble counter tops. They should have gone with Quartz.
I have a white interior with over 17,000 miles on it with no issues. If I toss stuff in the back it's on my 3D MAXpider all-weather floor mat.

I do agree with the ceramic coating comments. I'll probably pick up this www.amazon.com/CarPro-CQuartz-Leather-30mL/dp/B00REX3LFM before someone tosses a hat like this in my seats.

I used 91%.
That is an unbelievably horrible hat. Did they use permanent marker dye to make the hat? As an insane experiment try washing that cap with a white t-shirt and see what happens. Then burn the hat.

One area where the wife and I strongly disagree is washing new clothing. She does not care but I'm always worried about chemicals in clothing from the manufacturing process and leaching dyes so I refuse to wear anything without it being washed first... even sweatbands I wear on my head when I work outside in 100F heat.

Seems like the hat is what has a defect. Where was it made. Do not buy another from them.
I would guess that the hat is a cheap knock off of something pricier and as such is of poor quality that it would stain anything you left it on in the hot sun. Try washing it and see if it bleeds color or chemicals.

• Disagree
Reactions: Chuckie69
Seems like the hat is what has a defect. Where was it made. Do not buy another from them.
I would guess that the hat is a cheap knock off of something pricier and as such is of poor quality that it would stain anything you left it on in the hot sun. Try washing it and see if it bleeds color or chemicals.
OP has confirmed it bleeds on a paper towel.