Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MASTER THREAD: Tesla Insurance Services in California

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't know that I am. Single Southern California Model S Plaid owners, what are you paying?
I'm in your area, do not have a Plaid but paying Tesla Insurance $181 a month for two Teslas (2017 MX100D and 2018 Performance M3). Two adult drivers with over 40+ years driving experience each, perfect driving records for 20+ years. Tesla attempted to increase rate two months ago, also claiming we were getting employee discount, nonsense. I called them and made them lower annual milage to reflect our actual 5+ years of driving. They wanted $205 a month but after mileage discount, it is now $181. Before Tesla insurance, I had State Farm for everything, home, 2 Teslas, Liability, and Earth Quake in so called discount package. I saved over $2K by buying separate policies from different companies. In 2019, State Farm was charging me what would equate to $465 month for the two Teslas, everything being the same. I switched to Travelers in 2019 as Platinum benefit with my bank...hahaha. So called bank platinum benefit was costing me $506 a month for the same two Teslas. I canceled my bank's benefit (what a joke) and switched to Tesla in 2020 for $180 a month, saving me $326 a month, $3,912 a year. Not bad. Interesting that I also received a letter with a check from Travelers in January, 2022 that an audit had revealed that I was over charged for my car insurance, refund was $484. Travelers letter ended by saying they hope I would reconsider and come back to them...not a chance.

Did anyone's policy renewal occur recently and their premium increased?

There was a statement provided that said "Your renewal premium reflects removal of a verified mileage enrollment discount that was not available on your policy."

> I was told they're collecting the mileage numbers directly from the cars now.

You mean you were told they are NOT collecting the mileage from the cars now, right?
I will call tomorrow to see why that is the case, new law?
Just for anyone who would like a response. Called them and they mentioned it is a change within the company. There isn't new law. They have never been reading data from the car.