Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MASTER THREAD: Tesla Insurance Services in California

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What is Tesla Insurance's policy of safety glass (windshield, roof, rear, windows, etc)? Is it covered under comprehensive or does it have a different deductible or free like Nationwide? Does claiming safety glass coverage under comprehensive result in higher premiums?

does it have a different deductible or free like Nationwide? Does claiming safety glass coverage under comprehensive result in higher premiums?

I'm not sure really what you mean by "free like Nationwide", but I don't know there is any FREE comprehensive for any of those glass surfaces you mention. If you have free coverage for that, you're paying for it somewhere in your policy.

9/13/2019
I was hoping I could never use it, but unfortunately, yesterday (9/13/2019) a motorcycle hit me on 405 HWY and ran away when I was just driving on the carpool.

The exact same thing happened to me on the 405N last week. A motorcycle took off my passenger side mirror and ran. Here's the pic of the guy who did it. Curious if it was the same dude. Motorcycle-Hit-n-Run.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you for the information. I didn't mentioned TeslaCam because it was working I'm pretty sure but when I off the HWY it's already 1 hour ahead and all record was overwritten by new data (yeah TeslaCam didn't recognize it as an emergency, that guy used his left leg to kick my car on the right front fender and damaged it, guess not enough to trigger Tesla's build-in camera's alarm)

But I have an additional dash camera, and kept the video. That's why I only mentioned "dash camera" but not TeslaCam

Glad you had video, did you get a plate number?

BTW on TeslaCam while driving and you see something or have something happen, give it two minutes past the event and depress the Camera icon solidly and it will save the prior ten minutes of live footage and place it into the SavedClips folder that Sentry also uses to store video. I mention waiting two minutes because if you press right after seeing something it might still be in the same one-minute write cycle and cause that portion to be lost. So two minutes should be a safe buffer.

Also if you forgot to “push to Save” and more than 10 minutes may have already lapsed, if you can pull over, stop TeslaCam and remove the drive (good reason for having a back up in your car or with you), you’ll have the footage in the RecentClips folder if its been less than an hour since it happened.

I have USAA and they are known for the cheapest insurance on Tesla's. Tesla's insurance quote was $50 more a month. I checked GEICO and they are about $20 per month more then I am paying. You will have to do better then that Tesla!
And USAA will probably give you some rebate at the end of the year. Since it varies by year and what else you have insured by USAA, it's hard to make apples-to-apples comparisons.

What is Tesla Insurance's policy of safety glass (windshield, roof, rear, windows, etc)? Is it covered under comprehensive or does it have a different deductible or free like Nationwide? Does claiming safety glass coverage under comprehensive result in higher premiums?
I was told by a Tesla Insurance rep. that glass claims are normally covered under Comprehensive, and that such claims should not result in higher premiums. For this reason, we chose to have a lower Comprehensive deductible while leaving our Collision deductible higher.

Quick update: Tesla Insurance site is backup and just got a new quote for $134.00 per month. I might consider switching but will wait to see how claims are handled and how customer service is. Don't wanna be a guinea pig with a new insurance company.

Right on time... Geico raises my premium AGAIN.

Screen Shot.png

I'm planning to go with Tesla Insurance after my next bill is paid this week. Tired of all this bait and switch *sugar* with Geico.

The car insurance available from Tesla for me, a California driver, was not ready for prime time for two reasons: (1) It lacks written coverage for "permissive use", and (2) it was not really cheaper. For both these reasons, either one of which would have been sufficient, I have canceled my Tesla policy and gone back to what I had regarded as the hideously expensive Mercury policy.

(1) Normal California insurance companies such as Mercury include coverage for you and your car no matter who is driving it so long as they are driving with your permission. The words of my Mercury policy, which is standard, reads
"Persons Insured: The following are insured ... [for] the owned automobile: ... the named insured and any relative, ... persons listed as drivers in the policy declarations, ... and [the permissive use section] any other person using an owned automobile, provided it is used with the permission of the named insured, express or implied, and within the scope of such permission, and persons residing with such permissive user and related to such permissive user by blood, marriage or adoption, including wards and foster children..."
The Tesla policy includes no provision for permissive use. I asked the Tesla rep about this, and he said that of course the Tesla insurance would cover occasional drivers who drive the car no more that twice a month. But he said that he could not put this coverage in writing, and that maybe by the time my Tesla policy (now cancelled) was renewed, they would add coverage for permissive use to the written policy.

(2) For me as the sole driver, the Tesla policy was much cheaper, about 60% of the cost of my former and now again current Mercury policy, with identical coverage limits. However, when I added my wife to the Tesla policy, it became about 110% of the cost with Mercury, which covers both of us as drivers. While my wife almost never drives the Tesla, if she were to do so and have an accident, I don't know how we could be certain that the Tesla policy would pay off if she had not been listed as a covered driver. Even if we were to rely on the verbal assurance from the Tesla insurance agent, how could we establish that she had not pulled it out of the driveway 3 times in the past month and thereby have become ineligible for coverage even under that assurance?

Maybe others have worse non-Tesla policies than we, as older, extremely safe drivers without tickets or accidents, have; so that the Tesla policy might be cheaper for them. But the lack of coverage for permissive use does, I think, make the Tesla policy unacceptable for most people.

• Informative
Reactions: Ulmo and tvad
...Tesla policy might be cheaper for them... But the lack of coverage for permissive use does, I think, make the Tesla policy unacceptable for most people.

Tesla outsources conventional, existing insurance company to run "Tesla" insurance for them so I agree that there's no excuse that they don't have written Permissive Use in the language.

Other companies have multiple kinds of discounts such as multi-cars, multi-accounts (car and home...) but Tesla doesn't so it's doubtful Tesla will be cheaper for those policyholders.

The car insurance available from Tesla for me, a California driver, was not ready for prime time for two reasons: (1) It lacks written coverage for "permissive use", and (2) it was not really cheaper. For both these reasons, either one of which would have been sufficient, I have canceled my Tesla policy and gone back to what I had regarded as the hideously expensive Mercury policy.

(1) Normal California insurance companies such as Mercury include coverage for you and your car no matter who is driving it so long as they are driving with your permission. The words of my Mercury policy, which is standard, reads
"Persons Insured: The following are insured ... [for] the owned automobile: ... the named insured and any relative, ... persons listed as drivers in the policy declarations, ... and [the permissive use section] any other person using an owned automobile, provided it is used with the permission of the named insured, express or implied, and within the scope of such permission, and persons residing with such permissive user and related to such permissive user by blood, marriage or adoption, including wards and foster children..."
The Tesla policy includes no provision for permissive use. I asked the Tesla rep about this, and he said that of course the Tesla insurance would cover occasional drivers who drive the car no more that twice a month. But he said that he could not put this coverage in writing, and that maybe by the time my Tesla policy (now cancelled) was renewed, they would add coverage for permissive use to the written policy.

(2) For me as the sole driver, the Tesla policy was much cheaper, about 60% of the cost of my former and now again current Mercury policy, with identical coverage limits. However, when I added my wife to the Tesla policy, it became about 110% of the cost with Mercury, which covers both of us as drivers. While my wife almost never drives the Tesla, if she were to do so and have an accident, I don't know how we could be certain that the Tesla policy would pay off if she had not been listed as a covered driver. Even if we were to rely on the verbal assurance from the Tesla insurance agent, how could we establish that she had not pulled it out of the driveway 3 times in the past month and thereby have become ineligible for coverage even under that assurance?

Maybe others have worse non-Tesla policies than we, as older, extremely safe drivers without tickets or accidents, have; so that the Tesla policy might be cheaper for them. But the lack of coverage for permissive use does, I think, make the Tesla policy unacceptable for most people.
Thank you.

As always, the devil is in the details, and those who shop solely on price and fail to carefully examine the coverage and policy terms do so at their own risk.

I signed up for the Tesla insurance for my brand new X right after the algorithm was "fixed". At the time, the Tesla insurance was about 10% better than what my broker was quoting.

I put off asking about covering my spouse until today. I was told on the phone (only way to add a spouse to the policy) that the premium would adjust with an increase of over 100% (more than double what I am paying for myself). Ouch.

But that said, the guy told me that if my wife only drove the car once or twice a month then she'd be covered no problem. This sounded a little suspect to me, so I sent my policy to my broker who does all my other vehicles/home. She referred me to page 31 (see highlight). This seems to indicate that *if* my wife drives the vehicle, the covered limits drop significantly.

Looking for a sanity check from someone more knowledgeable than me on insurance. Seems that if you want to look at apples-to-apples with a second driver correctly added to the policy then the seemingly really good rate quoted on the Tesla site isn't so good.

Anyone want to help me think this through better and/or confirm my suspicion that for my case (me + spouse) maybe this isn't the best route?

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• Tesla Policy. pg 31.pdf
    138.8 KB · Views: 72
  • Informative
Reactions: house9 and dchobo
Wow, 500K, that seems excessive to me. Bodily injury is usually 100/300k Remember that most people also have health insurance.
And property damage is typically 100K unless you are planning to run your car in to a millionaire's home with Gas cans strapped to the sides of your car.

My best friend, an attorney in CA, said a PI's dream is an insured who had a couple of cocktails after work and was driving home and got into an accident with a school bus with kids unbelted. Ka-ching, ka-ching.

Reactions: ibGeek