Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MASTER THREAD: Tesla Insurance Services in California

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Final update: Got the car back after 3 weeks in the shop, 4 days earlier than estimated. Returned like new. No increase on my premium, but it was a minor accident with no injury.

Looks like my experience isn't what others have experienced. I'm sure a lot of factors come into play when dealing with the chaos of an auto accident. Since my accident was relatively minor--fender, bumper, headlight and wheel assembly, it was probably an easier case than others. However, I will be keeping this policy, since I did have a good experience considering the situation, and the premium is much less than my standard insurance.
premium increases usually don't kick in for a yaer'ish after an accident.

Final update: Got the car back after 3 weeks in the shop, 4 days earlier than estimated. Returned like new. No increase on my premium, but it was a minor accident with no injury.

Looks like my experience isn't what others have experienced. I'm sure a lot of factors come into play when dealing with the chaos of an auto accident. Since my accident was relatively minor--fender, bumper, headlight and wheel assembly, it was probably an easier case than others. However, I will be keeping this policy, since I did have a good experience considering the situation, and the premium is much less than my standard insurance.

glad its worked out so far. If the accident was the 'other guy's' fault, you will likely see no increase in your auto premiums as CA is an at-fault state. He who cause the crash, pays. :confused:

Still don't have my VIN, so can't request a Telsa insurance quote yet.

Does it still require a phone call after signing up online to add your spouse?
I guess if it increases the price too much you are able to cancel at that point?

I've been with Geico for 20+ years (and compare rates every 2-3 years). I finally got around to looking at Tesla's Insurance.

I ended up switching to Tesla; which will save me ~$900/6mo ($1800/yr) over a comparable Geico policy (coverage/2 cars/2 people). This is despite having to maintain a policy with Geico to cover a third (non-Tesla) vehicle.

I'm very happy that Tesla is offering this coverage. While I never had any complaints with Geico, I felt the 3rd party body shops were inflating costs on Tesla repairs. Hopefully having it all 'in-network' will be a great benefit beyond the savings.

The process was very quick but a bit awkward; e.g. having to purchase a policy before they can even quote you on adding a second vehicle/person; however the "human representatives" in the insurance dept are very accommodating and pickup immediately.

Hope they extend this to the other states soon.

Anybody know if the insurance rates charged to individual drivers will change over time based on the age and declining value of the car that is insured? I'm paying $185 per month for my March 2018 Model 3, curious if this will go down over time for any reason (e.g. car age, AP usage).

RT

i just quoted AAA insurance... $633/month! Wut!

You don't need to use AAA insurance to have a AAA membership. Starting at $56/year, you have tows (3-5 per year at varying distances depending on membership level), hotel discounts, and most notably DMV services. Many car-related DMV services are available at AAA branches, such as registration. However, drivers' license related items, including REAL IDs, are NOT available at AAA branches.

Anybody know if the insurance rates charged to individual drivers will change over time based on the age and declining value of the car that is insured? I'm paying $185 per month for my March 2018 Model 3, curious if this will go down over time for any reason (e.g. car age, AP usage).

RT
As age increases and years of driving experience rises, rates do go down. Also, life events like marriage, education, job history also have a downward impact on rates pricing. Collision value and insurance rates do go down as the reapair/replace value of a car falls - unless one has OEM replacement value setup. So, yes, but at the same time insurance rates rise with inflation and claims by STATE so YMMV.

• Informative
Reactions: RubberToe
Just signed up for Telsa insurance (picking up car on Saturday)

$98 a month

Called to add my wife, jumped up to $165 ?
Does this seem normal, both in our mid 40s, no accidents, over a decade since either of us had a speeding ticket. I figured it would be a little bit more to have a 2nd driver but $65 extra seems excessive.

Got my VIN last night but when I try and get an online Tesla Insurance quote it says unable to provide quote for this driver. Called the telephone # and the representative said they have been having issues insuring new 2020 models and recommends I “get a quote from one of the competitors” in the meantime. Anybody else having this issue?

Got my VIN last night but when I try and get an online Tesla Insurance quote it says unable to provide quote for this driver. Called the telephone # and the representative said they have been having issues insuring new 2020 models and recommends I “get a quote from one of the competitors” in the meantime. Anybody else having this issue?
I was able to get a quote from Tesla Insurance. After getting an initial quote, I made some adjustments to the coverage level to try to get the same level of coverage as what I currently have with 21st Century. I decided to stick with 21st Century as we have another vehicle and I think the 21st Century quote was lower. Note I could exactly match all the different insurance components.

As far as I know, AAA insurance for Tesla has the highest rate in SoCal among all the insurers. I once got hit by someone with AAA insurance and their service is amazing. I would totally switch to AAA insurance if their rate is not 2 to 3 times higher than everyone else.

Hi,

I now have a VIN for my Model 3 order and am looking at Tesla's insurance.

The liability coverage is fairly standard. But...
  • The quote given doesn't include any Collision coverage (my vehicle wouldn't be covered if I'm at fault in an accident).
  • The Uninsured Motorist Property damage is only $3,500 (if someone does a hit and run on my car, I would only be covered for $3.5k).
This seems very low and tbh bad coverage. Am I missing something? Is it included but just not shown (there is a collision deductible).

Thanks a lot!

I’m not sure what your quote looks like, but you can customize the quote and choose your coverage. Mine through Tesla was 20% less than any other company, but still very expensive! Uninsured Motorist Property damage at $3500 is standard, but that is not damage to your car, it’s for other people’s property.

Thanks for the reply! I can customize the amount of coverage for liability but there's never mention of any collision coverage (the Tesla itself). Maybe it's included, I'm not sure.

The premium is $124, I'm a 26yo male in the Bay with perfect driving history.

I have an at fault accident, from last year, and a ticket that’s about to come off my record. My Tesla premium is $119 a month for bodily injury @100/300 and property damage @100. I’m a 44 YO married male.

TI was substantially less than any other company!!!

• Love
Reactions: Techlead13
Hi,

I now have a VIN for my Model 3 order and am looking at Tesla's insurance.

The liability coverage is fairly standard. But...
  • The quote given doesn't include any Collision coverage (my vehicle wouldn't be covered if I'm at fault in an accident).
  • The Uninsured Motorist Property damage is only $3,500 (if someone does a hit and run on my car, I would only be covered for $3.5k).
This seems very low and tbh bad coverage. Am I missing something? Is it included but just not shown (there is a collision deductible).

Thanks a lot!

When I enter my personal data to get a quote, I see “Collision Deductible $1,000” under the “Deductible” section.

• Love
Reactions: Techlead13