Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MASTER THREAD: Tesla Insurance Services in California

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just got my M3 and insurance last weekend. State Farm was pretty close with Tesla’s full coverage… ended up going with Tesla because my State Farm bundle ended up being more expensive than me getting renter’s and an umbrella policy elsewhere (along with Tesla for auto).

My Tesla Insurance policy just renewed at $125 /month higher than before. $364 instead of the usual $239 every month.

When asked why, they said it was because I was previously getting an employee discount but this time they were unable to verify my employment with Tesla.

Disclaimer: I’ve never worked for Tesla. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

My Tesla Insurance policy just renewed at $125 /month higher than before. $364 instead of the usual $239 every month.

When asked why, they said it was because I was previously getting an employee discount but this time they were unable to verify my employment with Tesla.

Disclaimer: I’ve never worked for Tesla. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
It appears that everyone got the employee discount. I think this was a deliberate move by Tesla to suck us into getting insurance through them and it's crap! And if I am wrong, then how is it that no one at Tesla insurance caught this issue way earlier? How could they possibly not see that everyone was getting the employee discount?! I'm now looking for another insurance carrier for my Tesla.

Reactions: Pkmmte
It appears that everyone got the employee discount. I think this was a deliberate move by Tesla to suck us into getting insurance through them and it's crap! And if I am wrong, then how is it that no one at Tesla insurance caught this issue way earlier? How could they possibly not see that everyone was getting the employee discount?! I'm now looking for another insurance carrier for my Tesla.
Hmmm. I'm in Southern California, still paying $192.

If you are paying $192 a month, you were way over paying to begin with or you just have a bad driving record.

Sadly enough I think a person's driving record doesn't impact rates as much as some other factors. My car insurance tripled when I moved ZIP codes within the same metro area. Evidently the new ZIP had a much higher rate of uninsured motorists.

Reactions: XPsionic and Pkmmte
Then why are you paying so much per month?
I agree with MichaelP90DL. I’m paying $364 *per month* right now despite zero at-fault accidents. 100k/100k/50k coverage.

I’m in the greater Los Angeles area and I’ve seen my rates drop slightly by simply moving 1 mile away. It could be that they are in more vehicles (as you said) and/or have young drivers in the policy despite having a perfectly clean record.

In my case, my high rates are probably due to my and my wife’s ages. Neither of us have had at least 10 years of driving experience.

I’m in the greater Los Angeles area and I’ve seen my rates drop slightly by simply moving 1 mile away. It could be that they are in more vehicles (as you said) and/or have young drivers in the policy despite having a perfectly clean record.
Again, in larger cities with more vehicles on the roads, rates will be higher. But paying $364 a month for auto insurance is just nuts. Might be less expensive not to have a car and pay for an Uber to get around.

Again, in larger cities with more vehicles on the roads, rates will be higher. But paying $364 a month for auto insurance is just nuts. Might be less expensive not to have a car and pay for an Uber to get around.
You bought a Tesla. You’ve already made a bad financial decision. In fact if you buy anything other than a two year old Corolla that has less than 20k miles and was driven by a heavy smoker so you get a significant discount, you’ve made a bad financial decision.

However, most of us bought a car and pay the insurance on said car for far more reasons than it was a good financial decision. We could also live in cheaper states, neighborhoods, buy smaller houses, wear second hand clothes, and eat cheap food. But for some reason, that’s not how decisions get made. Financial is only one possible component.

$364/mo might be meaningless to some. Who can know but them?

Unless you have the absolute worst driving record and terrible credit, there's absolutely no excusing a premium this high. Holy hell. I insure three vehicles and I'm a quarter of your premiums with very good coverage, all the features my company offers, etc. If you've got a decent record and pay your bills, this is theft. Your previous rate was too. Good god, PLEASE shop around for insurance.

• Disagree
Reactions: XPsionic and Resist
Unless you have the absolute worst driving record and terrible credit, there's absolutely no excusing a premium this high. Holy hell. I insure three vehicles and I'm a quarter of your premiums with very good coverage, all the features my company offers, etc. If you've got a decent record and pay your bills, this is theft. Your previous rate was too. Good god, PLEASE shop around for insurance.
Trust me, I’ve already shopped around. I used to do so once per month before I found Tesla Insurance.

Zero at-fault accidents (2 when I was parked at Supercharger), excellent credit (750+), 100k/100k/50k coverage, $500 deductibles, homeowner, 1 other driver on policy (wife) with a perfectly clean record. Model 3 Performance.

If anyone can suggest anything better, I’m all ears. Geico recently quoted me $40 cheaper but I’ve had negative experiences with them refusing to cover certain things. All State, State Farm, AAA, Amica, Metromile, Mercury, etc all quoted me higher with less coverage.

Reactions: XPsionic
Trust me, I’ve already shopped around. I used to do so once per month before I found Tesla Insurance.

Zero at-fault accidents (2 when I was parked at Supercharger), excellent credit (750+), 100k/100k/50k coverage, $500 deductibles, homeowner, 1 other driver on policy (wife) with a perfectly clean record. Model 3 Performance.

If anyone can suggest anything better, I’m all ears. Geico recently quoted me $40 cheaper but I’ve had negative experiences with them refusing to cover certain things. All State, State Farm, AAA, Amica, Metromile, Mercury, etc all quoted me higher with less coverage.
Some uninformed people refuse to believe the insurance rates for having a central Los Angeles zip code. I tried putting in zip codes for sacramento and the rate dropped from $2300 a year to $900, for the same driver and coverage.