Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MASTER THREAD: Tesla Insurance Services in California

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Only Teslas...

Can I insure other Tesla products with Tesla Insurance?
Tesla Insurance is a personal auto insurance product. Upon request, Tesla Insurance Services will place your non-Tesla auto policies with a relevant provider.

That Q&A is gibberish. The question is asking whether you can use Tesla Insurance to insure other tesla products (presumably powerwalls and roofs). The answer to that question is "No", because the product line is a personal (ie non-commercial) auto insurance and thus it can't cover things that aren't cars.

But then they add that, upon request, "Tesla Insurance Services" (presumably their captured, in-house insurance agency), will sell you a policy for your other cars (ie non-Teslas). The policy will be from a "relevant provider." My guess is that the "relevant provider" is actually the same provider as "Tesla Insurance" (ie, whoever underwrite Tesla Insurance). It wouldn't surprise me if it wouldn't go on the same policy as Tesla cars. I think they are just being coy with the "relevant provider" phrasing because they don't want to admit that what they are selling here isn't really special Tesla-only insurance, but is just another auto insurance policy. My bet is that their rate schedule filed with the state includes ratings for all sorts of vehicles (not just Teslas) and doesn't look much different from any other filing.

I'm too busy to look it up now, but when I looked a few months ago on the state website, that was certainly the case. I don't know if the current insurance offering is that same filing.

Reactions: omkar
Reactions: GreenT
I'm still struggling to understand why folks thought that TSLA insurance would be cheaper than what is sold in their local state -- where insurance is heavily regulated, particularly in CA? What does Elon know that Warren Buffett and Flo do not? Sure, Elon knows the safety of his cars, but so do the others. They also know the long lag time to obtain parts -- requiring a long time for rental reimbursements, as well as teh high cost of parts since there is only one supplier.

I'm a big fan of Elon but I guess I'm too dense to see the value add of insurance.

Reactions: OCR1
I'm still struggling to understand why folks thought that TSLA insurance would be cheaper than what is sold in their local state -- where insurance is heavily regulated, particularly in CA? What does Elon know that Warren Buffett and Flo do not? Sure, Elon knows the safety of his cars, but so do the others. They also know the long lag time to obtain parts -- requiring a long time for rental reimbursements, as well as teh high cost of parts since there is only one supplier.
I agree. ValuePenguin has an article looking into possible ways the Tesla insurance could be cheaper, but I don't really buy it. Particularly the claim that they plan to repair the cars in-house to lower repairs costs seems far-fetched, given how overloaded the service centers already are. The Autopilot discounts are interesting, but if Autopilot actually reduces claims, that would also show up in the statistics that other insurance companies have.

It was just released in California.
Somethings I'd like to know:
1. What was the difference in rate from your old coverage?
2. (eventually) What was your claim experience like?
3. Anything special, like they ask for Dashcam footage, discount for autopilot, etc.?

I plan to get a quote as soon as it's back online and will share.

I have a Model 3 SR without Autopilot
I currently have Geico and pay $206 per month for
300k/300k Liability, and Uninsured/Underinsured
25k Medical
100 Comprehensive
500 Collision + Waiver for Uninsured

Reactions: Pkmmte
I did as close as I could get and Progressive was still $200 hundred bucks less (annually) while also including our other vehicle...so, doesn't appear cheaper for me. More options are always welcome though.
Knock on wood - but I have Progressive also & they are far away the cheapest insurance for Tesla.

But from what I read they are one of the worse if you have to get a car repaired in terms of OE parts & going to the shop you want.

Posted this in the other Tesla Insurance threads:

Got my quote yesterday and it was higher than my current insurer (Geico) with same coverage

Model 3 LR with Enhanced Autopilot
Currently insured with Geico and pay $132.00 per month ($762.00 6/month)
• 15 years of driving experience
• $50k/$100k Liability, Property and Uninsured
• $1000 Collision Deductible
• $250 Comprehensive Deductible

Tesla Insurance quote: $240.00 per month for same coverage

Hoping Tesla's new algorithm will be cheaper or similar to what I'm paying right now and I would make the switch.
Will report back once the system is back up and running.

Posted this in the other Tesla Insurance threads:

Got my quote yesterday and it was higher than my current insurer (Geico) with same coverage

Model 3 LR with Enhanced Autopilot
Currently insured with Geico and pay $132.00 per month ($762.00 6/month)
• 15 years of driving experience
• $50k/$100k Liability, Property and Uninsured
• $1000 Collision Deductible
• $250 Comprehensive Deductible

Tesla Insurance quote: $240.00 per month for same coverage

Hoping Tesla's new algorithm will be cheaper or similar to what I'm paying right now and I would make the switch.
Will report back once the system is back up and running.
Keep us posted. You are in a very similar situation that I am.

The Tesla insurance is backed by State National:

Tesla Begins Rolling Out Its Auto Insurance in California

It's assumed that State National will pass most of the risk to (unnamed) reinsurance companies though.

So if I’m understanding here, Tesla is just acting as an insurance broker, writhing policies for State National, who is then passing on the risk to other insurance companies through reinsurance.

But I’m still not clear on who is handling the actual claims processing when there is an accident. If someone bought insurance yesterday, and had an accident today, are they ready to go?

Reactions: GreenT