Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MASTER THREAD: Tesla Insurance Services in California

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Since Tesla's safety report says that Teslas get in accidents between 4-6 times less often than other vehicles then at the least the liability insurance should be 4-6 times cheaper (Tesla Vehicle Safety Report). I'm sure they'll fix it in the algorithm update.

But they take 4-6 times longer to repair so that has to be offset by the higher rental costs while your car is down...assuming they cover rentals for the duration of the downtime. I haven’t looked into that.

• Funny
Reactions: Watts_Up
But they take 4-6 times longer to repair so that has to be offset by the higher rental costs while your car is down...assuming they cover rentals for the duration of the downtime. I haven’t looked into that.
Doesn't effect liability coverage (which is all that's required in CA). Has anyone verified that liability coverage is 4-6 times cheaper?

• Funny
Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
I agree. ValuePenguin has an article looking into possible ways the Tesla insurance could be cheaper, but I don't really buy it. Particularly the claim that they plan to repair the cars in-house to lower repairs costs seems far-fetched, given how overloaded the service centers already are. The Autopilot discounts are interesting, but if Autopilot actually reduces claims, that would also show up in the statistics that other insurance companies have.

Thanks for posting, and yes I concur with you.

Just had my D's Audi A3 repaired, and while the Bay Area body shop's list price was $145/hr, the insurer got them to accept $105. Other insurers use body shops with a contract rate of <$75/hr. Given labor costs in California (and required benefits), it's hard to see how Elon can squeeze much out of the major costs of the repair, which is labor.

Now, of course, Elon could eliminate the markup/profit on parts by selling the parts to the Tesla body shop at manufacturing costs, but that just means the Auto division makes less money so the insurance division can make more. (from the right pocket to the left?) But still, the costs are still there. Other autos can use after-market repair parts to save money. Tesla's cannot.

Yes, Tesla can eliminate commissions bcos they have no brokers, but then many other insurers already have a similar no-broker sales models, and built into their competive pricing models.

Like I said, just not seeing the value-add to make it worth the distraction of adding a new, disparate product.

But the more I think about it, perhaps this is just the first step for insuring RoboTaxis, which I'm guessing traditional insurers won't want to touch.

My insurance gives a discount if you have an anti-theft GPS tracking device, but don't recognise Tesla tracking capability
because I don't have a monthly membership like General Motor On-Star, BMW Assist, Mercedes-Benz mbrace, or Lexus Enform...

You are not missing out on much. I just checked my policy and the discount was $12/yr which makes sense since Tesla's have an extremely low theft rate. (no chop shops as there is no market for 'ahem' previously used equipment/parts).

Reactions: Watts_Up
If I am reading Elon correctly, he may just be making a point and driving down the insurance on Tesla's because they are a much safer car:DHe has talked about Tesla cars being insured at a lower cost.
If that were the case, my quote from Tesla wouldn't be almost 4x higher than my current policy, for less coverage. :/

If I am reading Elon correctly, he may just be making a point and driving down the insurance on Tesla's because they are a much safer car:DHe has talked about Tesla cars being insured at a lower cost.

Even if true, it won't be long for the other insurers to see the safety factor and price their policies accordingly. A big SUV is already a lot safer than say, a small tix box (and insurers know it with certainty). Offsetting the safety feature, however, is the higher cost of replacement parts. For Tesla's, there is one supplier (OEM-TLSA). For every other manufacturer, there are plenty of high quality after-market parts available. And OEM is more costly than after-market. Heck, one can even put Toyota OEM parts in a Lexus, to save money.

7 of the deadliest cars on the road

My hypothesis:
1. Tesla creates algorithm based on a bunch of assumptions and advertises they will give a lower rates by x%
2. People get quotes that are not savings at all.
3. Tesla takes down site to fix algorithm.

My guess is that they didn't tune the algorithm for initial low liquidity to cover risk. As more people get insured it'll be cheaper because their risk profile reduces. They need to calculate it as if they already have so many insured or they'll prevent anyone from buying it to begin with.

I got a quote while the website was still up. It was around $500 more per year than Amica for less coverage. And then the site went down and hasn’t been available since. Not a great start.

Couldn’t they at least put an explanatory message up about why they are down, rather than a “404 error” and “I’m afraid I can’t do that” message.

I just re-quoted Tesla after their algorithm update. Tesla is 363 more a year for similar coverage for two model 3s with AAA. A much better improvement from yesterday but still cheaper through a traditional company. I at least have a good option if my rates go up.

Maybe these guys should be building service centers rather than selling insurance.
How about hiring people to manage their phone calls for a plethora of things including for their insurance. So you get in a crash and there is no one to take the claim or respond to the info you left for them... Sound familiar? You know, can't reach a live person to get any answers or resolution and they don't respond to any mail...

Last edited:
Reactions: sceptic