Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MASTER THREAD: Tesla Insurance Services in California

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yesterday, after carefully matching the Tesla coverage to my current plan, the Tesla quote was $50 more for 6 months. Maybe I will try again later.

Trying again today, the new quote is $14 less per 6 months now.

I'm switching largely due to the awful, IMO, recent advertising by my current provider. I had planned on changing in November when my current term ended anyway.

How good Tesla’s insurance will be depends on more than what they charge. It depends on what they will do to earn their money. A company that makes first and fixes later and can’t seem to resolve service communications is not so reassuring when it comes to auto insurance. But who knows? Maybe they will get this thing right. Personally, I would wait a year and see.
Robin

Of course rates vary by zip code, and I got a quote of 132/mo which is way less than I pay Mercury, which is too much. This reminds me of esurance with no local agent. Given Tesla’s spotty record of responding to certain issues, my quote was at least useful in getting my agent to shop around and find a better price. I could save with Tesla, but it’s probably a teaser rate, and the discounts from bundled policies go away. You can still have a separate umbrella policy through another company, most likely at a higher price. I spotted the 3500 UMPD right away since CA has the 2nd highest number of uninsured drivers, and realized it’s mostly covered by collision.

I also like being able to call up my local Agent, same person every time, if I need to ask a question or make a change. Every time I ever called up the 1-800 number of my insurance company, they would mess things up....mainly because that agent would basically "re-write" the policy so it was "new" so they could get whatever commission they get.
True. I email my insurance lady. Had her for 15 yrs at least with my parents and now I’m with them. Everything can be changed via email and it’s no fuss or issues or wait time.

Does anyone know if there's a way to get a quote with more than just one driver? I know there's a way of adding driver's after the fact, but I'd like to know how much it affects cost for me.
No.

I called them with this question, they don't have the ability online yet. I had to take out a policy, then add driver to get the cost for us both.

Turned out more expensive than with current provider, so promptly cancelled the policy.

I tried the pricing when the site first went up and it came up 94% higher than what I currently pay. I tried it again today because I read that they redid their algorithms for pricing. My new quote, which I carefully matched to current coverage deductibles, was much better (but still about 12% higher than I currently pay with Capital Insurance Group given my discounts for multiple policies and homeowner's insurance.) I do hope this works for Tesla and other Tesla owners.

• Informative
Reactions: TechVP
Currently on Geico paying $440/month with the wife and I. If I dropped my car from Geico my rate would drop from $440 TO $220, and Tesla would be $150-160/month. Definitely considering but also waiting to hear back from others on how claims are done. Need to do it soon though since my insurance up for renewal in 2 weeks.

Has anyone else received this reply when attempting to get a quote for Tesla insurance? "We are unable to get a quote for this driver. Please review the information below." The information I entered is correct, I haven't had any accident claims with my long time provider and I have good credit. So, I wondering if my driving habits which are presumably known by Tesla is the problem?

Currently on Geico paying $440/month with the wife and I. If I dropped my car from Geico my rate would drop from $440 TO $220, and Tesla would be $150-160/month. Definitely considering but also waiting to hear back from others on how claims are done. Need to do it soon though since my insurance up for renewal in 2 weeks.
Or you could just do it, save $110 right away (you're welcome) and then change back if you hear enough negative press on the forum that we're obsessively checking anyways, saving 220 per month till then