Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MASTER THREAD: Tesla Insurance Services in California

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes, because they have to abide by the insurance laws that are in place for each State that they will do business.

Yeah, but it won't be fun trying to get those enforced in the middle of a claim gone bad. Sure, you can report them to the insurance board and they will be investigated, but that doesn't help with whatever short term fiasco is going on with your claim.

And Tesla seems to go in with the attitude that rules and regs don't apply to them until they get slapped back down. I am going to wait and see how the claims side is going before considering it.

Reactions: N5329K and tvad
How about hiring people to manage their phone calls for a plethora of things including for their insurance. So you get in a crash and there is no one to take the claim or respond to the info you left for them... Sound familiar? You know, can't reach a live person to get any answers or resolution and they don't respond to any mail...

Starman just got back from the sun and will be watching out for accidents and report to Fremont as soon as they occur. No need to phone home. ;)

Reactions: Phlier
We spend so much time on this forum talking about how we can’t get through to a live person at Tesla on the phone. They don’t respond to emails or texts. They cancel service appointments randomly. They can’t get their purchase agreements to have the correct dollar amounts. They refuse to honor referral bonuses if you don’t click the right link when placing an order. They agree to sell you a car at a certain price and then inform you that the price was wrong and it’s now several thousand dollars more.

And now we are supposed to want to give them our insurance business, a business that is entirely customer service based? With no information on who is going to process a claim if we have one? And no clear understanding on who is underwriting the actual policy?

I just don’t get it. Sorry.

I am with Mercury with two cars and home owners insurance. Tesla quote is $30 a month cheaper with identical coverage. The quote is $110 a month for my Tesla mid range rwd. The interesting part of the policy is the $20 coverage for auto pilot that covers any suing by others caused while an accident occurs on auto pilot or other autonomous driving.

Todd

• Informative
Reactions: Dmagyar
My quote is nearly half what Geico were quoting me, which was the cheapest quote I could find. Switching over either today or tomorrow!

BTW, anyone know what they mean by "in-network" for rental reimbursement? (see attached pic)

Attachments

• Screenshot 2019-08-29 at 20.47.01.png
    Screenshot 2019-08-29 at 20.47.01.png
    67.9 KB · Views: 168
My quote is nearly half what Geico were quoting me, which was the cheapest quote I could find. Switching over either today or tomorrow!

BTW, anyone know what they mean by "in-network" for rental reimbursement? (see attached pic)

I’m guessing they have a network of approved rental car providers but it looks like you are paying a premium to get coverage from providers outside the network. I would ask for a copy of the entire policy before you commit and cancel your current insurance. There are still many unknowns with Tesla Insurance Services.

I got a quote that saved me about $700 a year...Only real difference is with my uninsured motorist property. I currently have 100k, but Tesla only offers 3500. My understanding of this is that if someone with no insurance and/or under insurance is found to be at fault, the uninstured motorist would cover my property damage?? if so 3500 probably not going to be enuff? Am I misunderstanding this?

Thanks

Reactions: Pkmmte
Posted this in the other Tesla Insurance threads:

Got my quote yesterday and it was higher than my current insurer (Geico) with same coverage

Model 3 LR with Enhanced Autopilot
Currently insured with Geico and pay $132.00 per month ($762.00 6/month)
• 15 years of driving experience
• $50k/$100k Liability, Property and Uninsured
• $1000 Collision Deductible
• $250 Comprehensive Deductible

Tesla Insurance quote: $240.00 per month for same coverage

Hoping Tesla's new algorithm will be cheaper or similar to what I'm paying right now and I would make the switch.
Will report back once the system is back up and running.

Keep us posted. You are in a very similar situation that I am.

Quick update: Tesla Insurance site is backup and just got a new quote for $134.00 per month. I might consider switching but will wait to see how claims are handled and how customer service is. Don't wanna be a guinea pig with a new insurance company.

I check my tesla insurance quote, about 50% more than I pay through Farmers, I only have a very minor fender bender accident few years ago, 20+ years good driving record. My wife drives even more conservative than me, her case, 80% increase in premium.

I am scratching my head now, what is wrong?

I just re-ran through Tesla Insurance on my account and it is about 14% cheaper now.

Tesla insurance is LEGIT!
It was so fast and simple to get a quote. Took less than 1 minute. Our MX quote was around $250 cheaper for 6 months than from our insurance company. With all the multi discounts we get from them(2 houses, 3 cars, umbrella), they couldn’t beat Tesla. Don’t know how Tesla insurance pulled it off but we are pretty happy with it and will buy in a few days. Check it out for yourself and hopefully you’ll see some savings too!

• Funny
Reactions: jeffro01
My hypothesis:
1. Tesla creates algorithm based on a bunch of assumptions and advertises they will give a lower rates by x%
2. People get quotes that are not savings at all.
3. Tesla takes down site to fix algorithm.

My guess is that they didn't tune the algorithm for initial low liquidity to cover risk. As more people get insured it'll be cheaper because their risk profile reduces. They need to calculate it as if they already have so many insured or they'll prevent anyone from buying it to begin with.

“Fix algorithm” means throw out whatever will yield low-enough rates, such that they get some cash coming in, whereas dealing with claims and such is an issue left for a later date.

This looks both amateurish and desperate and, at least in a sense, I admire those with sufficient testicular fortitude to pay money for Tesla-backed coverage at this point.

I hope it works out!

Musk:

"We bought an Insurance Company and just need to put some new code in place".

With all due respect, it takes more than just some code to do Insurance. Ask Warren Buffet.

I hope Tesla gets there act together with not just this but with the Service Center Experience as well!

My quote is $10 more per month then Geico. But it's not quite 1:1 since I do not have any rental coverage with Geico and I can't remove it on Tesla. I'm going to wait to see how people's claims go.

Also, I figured out why I kept getting an error. I didn't have an address on my account. Once I added an address I was able to get the quote.

I’m guessing they have a network of approved rental car providers but it looks like you are paying a premium to get coverage from providers outside the network. I would ask for a copy of the entire policy before you commit and cancel your current insurance. There are still many unknowns with Tesla Insurance Services.

Yeah, I would be curious if the in-network coverage has a limit. I have heard the stories about long delays for body work and using up normal insurance rental policies. Mine is currently only $1500 total which I think was the max I could get, and I am sure I would blow through it easily doing a body shop Tesla repair.