Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MASTER THREAD: Tesla Insurance Services in California

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Currently on Geico paying $440/month with the wife and I. If I dropped my car from Geico my rate would drop from $440 TO $220, and Tesla would be $150-160/month. Definitely considering but also waiting to hear back from others on how claims are done. Need to do it soon though since my insurance up for renewal in 2 weeks.

does that quote also include your wife added to the policy? (just curious if you can add all family members/potential drivers when using the TSLA quote function?)

does that quote also include your wife added to the policy? (just curious if you can add all family members/potential drivers when using the TSLA quote function?)

AFAIK, to add extra drivers you have to call Tesla directly....this is the part that is hanging me up that I'm not sure if that changes the costs. I did put married....

I want to do it immediately, but I also have a windshield claim with Geico i'm waiting on payment on....so kinda want to get that paid before I switch over lol.

AFAIK, to add extra drivers you have to call Tesla directly....this is the part that is hanging me up that I'm not sure if that changes the costs. I did put married....

I want to do it immediately, but I also have a windshield claim with Geico i'm waiting on payment on....so kinda want to get that paid before I switch over lol.

Have you tried other insurance companies? $440/month seems really high. I would give Amica a call and get some alternative pricing.

^ Good suggestion above.

In my recent experience, Ameriprise offered the lowest premium of those I compared: Mercury, Amica, State Farm, AAA, Ameriprise, Geico.

Mercury was the second lowest. We decided to stay with Mercury for now.

We are in Los Angeles.

Have you tried other insurance companies? $440/month seems really high. I would give Amica a call and get some alternative pricing.

I've looked at:
  • Ameriprise (it was lower...then it shot up to $500/month)
  • Wawanesa
  • StateFarm
  • NationWide
  • Mercury
  • AAA
  • Probably countless more I haven't figured out.
At least one them was lower:
  • Progressive ($40/month lower)
I just did an Amica quote btw, and they quoted me $460 (Basic) - $493 (Standard). For reference my wife is 28 but has only been licensed in the US since 2015 (I'm thinking this is the big driver).

I've looked at:
  • Wawanesa
  • StateFarm
  • NationWide
  • Mercury
  • AAA
I just did an Amica quote btw, and they quoted me $460 (Basic) - $493 (Standard). For reference my wife is 28 but has only been licensed in the US since 2015 (I'm thinking this is the big driver).

Yup. The four year driving history is going to raise your rates. If you both need to drive both cars there is not much you can do. If you can limit her driving to just one car it might be better to split the policies and add you as a second driver on her policy but keep her off your policy.

I've looked at:
  • Wawanesa
  • StateFarm
  • NationWide
  • Mercury
  • AAA
You’ve done your homework. Your rates are astronomical.

$16 less than travelers with better coverage. However, I'm very wary of Tesla and their customer service. Especially with providing loaners. There are not enough. So I'll wait and see 6 months down the line.

Travelers:
50k/100k
Colli. $1000
Comp. $1000
$50 glass deductible
New car replacement coverage

Tesla:
100k/100k
Colli: $100
Comp.: $100

Wow. People are paying some crazy rates here!

I'm curious in a Tesla quote, but the system won't do it. However, my wife and I are paying $75/month with GEICO, and I doubt Tesla can beat it.

Bodily injury:
$1 MIL/$1MIL
Property:
$100k
Un/Underinsured:
$500k/$500k
Deductibles are $1k.

(2 other cars on policy, plus umbrella ins. Total policy is around $203/month).
I want a quote because I'm afraid my rates will go up in November when my policy renews.

Knock on wood - but I have Progressive also & they are far away the cheapest insurance for Tesla.

But from what I read they are one of the worse if you have to get a car repaired in terms of OE parts & going to the shop you want.

FWIW, I had to have my S repaired after someone dinged the the rear quarter panel by the bumper in a parking lot -- they didn't leave a note...lol. Anyway, I used a Tesla authorized body shop. Repair was around $20k (ridiculous but it is what it is)...Progressive covered it all. I kinda felt badly about it -- you could barely see the damage...but not having to fight the insurance company to get it approved was nice. Of course, the shop had the vehicle for nearly two months for work that took them about 3 days of actual effort...ouch.

Re-quoted and Tesla insurance now appears similar to Progressive but again, without adding the 2nd vehicle. The Tesla coverage had a couple minor improvements (basic roadside, minimal uninsured motorist property damage) but all the big things were the same. Better but still not compelling for me.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: VQTRVA
Wow. People are paying some crazy rates here!

I'm curious in a Tesla quote, but the system won't do it. However, my wife and I are paying $75/month with GEICO, and I doubt Tesla can beat it.

Bodily injury:
$1 MIL/$1MIL
Property:
$100k
Un/Underinsured:
$500k/$500k
Deductibles are $1k.

(2 other cars on policy, plus umbrella ins. Total policy is around $203/month).
I want a quote because I'm afraid my rates will go up in November when my policy renews.
man.........thats really hard to believe......3 cars with 1M/1M liability and 500k/500k......where do you live? BFE

Folks that know Tesla for many years know that you should wait 12-18 months before jumping in on any Tesla product (Roadster, S, X, 3, powerwall 1, for example)... Tesla Insurance should be a reasonable product by early 2021

Reactions: OCR1
At $1217/6 months, and living in San Diego, I'm not complaining. Only 2 cars are driven regularly, the other occupies garage space.
oh, thats different...i thought you were paying $75 month for all cars....I have USAA....2019 Model 3 and a 2016 Toyota Tacoma truck....we pay $704 every 6 months and also have homeowners at $875 a year.....hard to beat USAA.....we have 100/300 liability, 50 med, 100 collision, 100 uninsured motorist

EDIT: $500 deductible

Reactions: SD_Engnr
The real test will be how do they handle claims. As someone who has had to deal with Tesla customer service, I'm not super confident in their ability to deal with multiple adverse parties and negotiate the best result on my behalf. I will be waiting this one out for a year to see how their claims handling goes, even though the Tesla quote is about $500/year cheaper for me.

Prolly much like how they handle the SCs currently!;)

Tesla is not the provider of the insurance. It's a rebranded product from State National. For those concerned about Tesla's customer service and how it would carry over to the insurance, those concerns are unfounded. And insurance, especially in California, is highly regulated. Regulation is a whole independent government function, with a statewide elected Insurance Commissioner.

• Funny
Reactions: cwerdna and ibGeek