Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MASTER THREAD: Tesla Insurance Services in California

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm going thru the spouse conundrum right now as well. Tesla's rate is FAR better than Progressive, but with the amorphous coverage if my wife drives once in a while. The agent said they would be covered, just at the minimums spelled out above. The added wrinkle is that my wife is still on her Canadian license until she takes her in-car test in early Dec. They said she couldn't be added on until then.

Maybe I just go with Tesla insurance for myself for now, and revisit the issue when I can put her on officially to see if the numbers still make sense.

My question is, my brother is coming down in November and we're going on a bit of a road trip- and of course I'd like him to be able to drive to see how the car handles (he's the real car guy in the family). I guess he'd be covered the same way as my wife- it's not illegal but there would be less coverage in the case of an accident.

Great thread! Thanks!

Ok - circling back. I added tesla insurance for my new Model 3, 250/500/250, 250/100, 100 Compr Ded., 1000 Collision Ded. - quote for me with this coverage was about $103/mth - called in right after purchasing and to add spouse was an additional $13, so $116 a month, which is significantly better than the quote I got from my current insurer (State Farm) for slightly worse coverage ($136/mth).

Removing my state farm means I lose a multi-line discount on my home, but that was only $100/yr, and I had a much more involved conversation on the phone for the couple times I have spoke to Tesla than in all my time with SF. So, very happy, good coverage, rate did not go up much for me to add spouse, and it was easy both to purchase and to get somebody on the phone.

Some extra notes - when you actually purchase the insurance and call, you'll see you get access to a couple other items you can add over phone : GAP Coverage, Collision Deductible Buy Back & Total Loss Deductible Waiver - so there's that.

When you download the cards it will only have your name, not your spouse, but download the policy and you will see both names on there.

Lastly, I did find this in the policy itself which made me question if it is really true that spouse was not covered anyway - "Throughout this policy, “you” and “your” refer to: 1. the “named insured” show in the Declarations; and 2. the spouse if a resident of the same household. The term spouse includes a: a. husband or wife; or b. if unmarried, a Civil partner by Civil Union or Registered Domestic Partnership filed and recognized by the state or “domestic partner”".

So perhaps worth poking at the next time anyone here calls - and you can do some googling on the new 3 line items if you want 'em. Also, I have spoken with Tesla Insurance 3 times on phone now, each time they have been awesome.

FWIW

-g.

I must admit that the motorcycle hit-and-run thing has me a little bit perplexed. In my experience (as both a motorcycle operator and a driver of cars), an "interaction" between a motorcycle and a vehicle as large and heavy as a Tesla rarely results in a motorcycle or rider that is in operable condition.

I’ve read posts of this happening to other Tesla owners and even seen some Teslacam footage they had from it happening. I’m shocked it happens at all and can’t understand why a biker would even intentionally get that close to a vehicle that could easily move to the right to change lanes and take him out. But from several videos, it clearly does happen.

Nice to see the news story link about one vandalizing biker get caught.

I'd love to take Tesla insurance up on their quote, which will save me quite a bit of money over what Progressive is quoting me. But I'm trying to figure out if Tesla's take on non-listed drivers is any different than other insurers. My wife will NOT be a regular driver on the car, but may once in a while on a long drive, and my brother is flying down in Nov and we'll be doing a road trip, and I'd love him to be able to drive.

Maybe it's just my assumption coming from Canada, but I'd alway understood that you could give permission for people to drive your car and as long as they had their own insurance they'd be covered.

Tesla said that others (like my wife) "could" drive the car and it would be legal, but that if there was an accident then the coverage wouldn't be as great. Is Tesla's insurance unique in this perspective, or is this just the way they all work and it's only because I'm asking Tesla the question that the issue is coming up?

Thanks

Tesla said that others (like my wife) "could" drive the car and it would be legal, but that if there was an accident then the coverage wouldn't be as great. Is Tesla's insurance unique in this perspective, or is this just the way they all work and it's only because I'm asking Tesla the question that the issue is coming up?
I'm not sure if they are unique, but neither of the two insurance companies that I have used in the past decade or so (Geico and currently Progressive) had lower liability limits for relatives living in the same household but not listed on the policy.

BTW, consider that other drivers (like your brother) may be covered for liability by their own insurance when driving your car.

I'm picking up my M3 on Wednesday and have been trying to get a quote from Tesla since last Wednesday. Every time I click get quote it tries to connect and then says unable to provide quote. I live in California so that's not the issue. I called the phone number listed but of course you can only get a quote online not over the phone. The phone number is only for claims or changes to your existing policy. Is anyone else having these issues?

I was wondering the same thing. Tesla is $167 a month- Farmers I have had with the same guy doing it for 20 years is $247 a month BUT.. no other drivers covered. Not a deal breaker necessarily- but not a fan of that. Everything else seems the same. Rental car coverage says "in network" Does that means Tesla gives you a rental car?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-09-23 at 1.09.41 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-09-23 at 1.09.41 PM.png
    79.5 KB · Views: 146
Just called Tesla isurance- you can add an extra driver by calling them and then they let you know costs. I was told that the last person she added a driver to - the price actually went down as 2nd person was a good driver. Glass is covered under comprehensive. And rental car in network is Enterprise.

Just called Tesla isurance- you can add an extra driver by calling them and then they let you know costs. I was told that the last person she added a driver to - the price actually went down as 2nd person was a good driver. Glass is covered under comprehensive.

The concern for me with the lack of permissive use isnt being able add a household driver, it is when you let your buddy/FIL/MIL etc borrow the car to run to the grocery store or to pick up the grandkids or whatnot. They smash into something and I guess you fall back to the basic state minimums which ain't gonna cover hardly anything.

Reactions: abasile
The concern for me with the lack of permissive use isnt being able add a household driver, it is when you let your buddy/FIL/MIL etc borrow the car to run to the grocery store or to pick up the grandkids or whatnot. They smash into something and I guess you fall back to the basic state minimums which ain't gonna cover hardly anything.

Right, I have one of my assistants Drive sometimes when we're going to a production that I'm busy at. So good point. I guess you have to give them your name and get them covered. So yeah that's not great

I'm picking up my M3 on Wednesday and have been trying to get a quote from Tesla since last Wednesday. Every time I click get quote it tries to connect and then says unable to provide quote. I live in California so that's not the issue. I called the phone number listed but of course you can only get a quote online not over the phone. The phone number is only for claims or changes to your existing policy. Is anyone else having these issues?

Reactions: Bskubs
If this were any other insurance company, speaking from experience with mine (Allstate), it's pretty normal. They're giving me the run around trying to tell me I can't get a quote without a phone call and discussion first (I'm already a customer), and that since the computers are so expensive in the car and any little collision would drop the value of the computers, my premium would double versus my Challenger. They don't want to answer my emails anymore, but Insist on a phone call to discuss it.

I'm not sure if they are unique, but neither of the two insurance companies that I have used in the past decade or so (Geico and currently Progressive) had lower liability limits for relatives living in the same household but not listed on the policy.

BTW, consider that other drivers (like your brother) may be covered for liability by their own insurance when driving your car.

From the other thread, I know that spouses do need to be added on for full coverage. My wife can't until she gets her CA drivers's license in December (Canadians have to do written AND in-car test, unbelievably). Similarly, my brother being from out of country probably complicates things as well.

But Progressive says verbal authorization is all that's required for licensed drivers.

From the other thread, I know that spouses do need to be added on for full coverage. My wife can't until she gets her CA drivers's license in December (Canadians have to do written AND in-car test, unbelievably). Similarly, my brother being from out of country probably complicates things as well.

But Progressive says verbal authorization is all that's required for licensed drivers.
Yep. If you read Progressive's policy document, there is actually not even a mention of any authorization for relatives living in the same household.

I take delivery tomorrow, my Travelers insurance wanted $1700 to insure the car per year. Tesla was $1200 with identical coverage, I had no problem obtaining a quote or the actual insurance. I even called to ask a question after purchasing and was immediately picked up. Seems okay to me.