Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MASTER THREAD: Tesla Insurance Services in California

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My insurance agent said anyone with a valid driver license anywhere in the world will be covered. I have friends and relatives all over the world and when they came over, I let them drive one of my cars.
The issue under discussion isn't whether someone you let drive your car on rare occasions is covered under the policy. It's how much are they covered for by the policy. The problem is that the limits can be different from that for named drivers and the mandated minimums are not really adequate.

Reactions: house9
If this were any other insurance company, speaking from experience with mine (Allstate), it's pretty normal. They're giving me the run around trying to tell me I can't get a quote without a phone call and discussion first (I'm already a customer), and that since the computers are so expensive in the car and any little collision would drop the value of the computers, my premium would double versus my Challenger. They don't want to answer my emails anymore, but Insist on a phone call to discuss it.
There are dozens of insurance companies from which you can get quotes. No need to waste time with one who is treating you poorly.

Reactions: Kdblondie
The issue under discussion isn't whether someone you let drive your car on rare occasions is covered under the policy. It's how much are they covered for by the policy. The problem is that the limits can be different from that for named drivers and the mandated minimums are not really adequate.

I was told that if anyone with a valid driver license driving my car will have the exact same coverage.

Hey, so I'm not by any means a car insurance expert and want an honest opinion. I signed up for Tesla Insurance for $283/month for 6-month premium on 09/19 when I bought my car after doing a "quick" shop around. Today I was reading up on the "Tesla Insurance thread" and found a couple of people liked Wawanesa Insurance. I gave them a call and got a quote for $184/month for 6-month premium.

I had the Wawanesa CSR quote me apples to apples from Tesla Insurance and everything is exactly the same besides the price of course. So my questions are below:

1. Any cons to canceling a car insurance policy ~9 days after signing up?
2. Anybody have anything bad to say about Wawanesa?
3. Will canceling ~9 days later hurt my chances of signing up again for Tesla Insurance in the future?

Thanks, FAM!

Tesla insurance quote is 16% cheaper than AAA which is covering our 2 cars now.

EDIT: OK I read Tesla quote online is covering only 1 person. Adding a 2nd person (spouse) will be $13-$16 / month - this will be very similar (still a little cheaper) to the AAA rate then.

Last edited:
My insurance agent said anyone with a valid driver license anywhere in the world will be covered. I have friends and relatives all over the world and when they came over, I let them drive one of my cars.

That's true for my insurance carrier as well. But, the company makes it clear that all current residents of my home must be named individuals on the policy.

I had to renew my registration for my Model X in California.
I go to the DMV website and I get this message from DMV

screenshot-www.dmv.ca.gov-2019.10.02-08_49_06.png

I call Tesla insurance and they said they would look into it and call me back. I wait a week and they call me back and tell me I have to go to DMV and bring my policy for proof of insurance. She says Tesla Insurance is new and can' t electronically send proof of insurance. WTF

Anybody else have this problem?

• Funny
  • Informative
Reactions: Ulmo and GuyDude

View attachment 462666

I call Tesla insurance and they said they would look into it and call me back. I wait a week and they call me back and tell me I have to go to DMV and bring my policy for proof of insurance. She says Tesla Insurance is new and can' t electronically send proof of insurance. WTF

Wow. Last I check most of the DMV around me has appointments out like 2 or 3 months out because of the real ID deadline next year. I didn't even know DMV registration requires proof of insurance. I hope your registration expiration is still a few months out.

View attachment 462666

Patience Grasshopper. This will get done in Elon Standard Time. :eek:

(of course the DMV has no such patience! AAA is a good rec.)

FWIW, in case anyone wants a data point, my friend with an X got hit by another parent while dropping off child at school. He is having the crappiest experience getting Ameriprise to process the claim and repair his Tesla. They’re really not working for him and he’s having to do practically ALL the legwork. Ameriprise is relatively cheap for a reason IMO.
Oddly enough, my experience with Ameriprise was just the opposite. I was hit in a parking lot by some unknown idiot. I called Ameriprise after getting a few quotes, and they reviewed the damage estimate. Even though Ameriprise could have made it difficult, they agreed that it wasn't my fault and after my deductible, paid for the repair.

Ameriprise suggested a well-regarded repair center and they completed the job very satisfactorily. The repair shop even agreed to replace the fender rather than repair it as they wanted to.

I'm not quite sure what it means when you state that Ameriprise is "really not working for him and he’s having to do practically ALL the legwork." What "legwork" is involved in repairing an automobile? Getting the estimates?

I'm not quite sure what it means when you state that Ameriprise is "really not working for him and he’s having to do practically ALL the legwork." What "legwork" is involved in repairing an automobile? Getting the estimates?

My experience with Ameriprise was that I did have to do a lot of the “legwork” and keep on top of my claim. For example, I sent them the police report from my accident so they could get the other driver info and verify I could get my deductible back under my uninsured motorist coverage. Had to follow up with them a week later, and the claims agent hadn’t actually read my email and didn’t realize I had sent her the report. Several months after my accident they had not reimbursed me the deductible, so had to follow up again there. On the Tesla unique side, it took them two weeks to total my car, which was obviously totaled (pics in my sig), then the appraisal came back with my P85 listed as an 85. Had to correct that, which took several more weeks for them to redo the appraisal and get authorizations up the management chain to reimburse me the correct amount. Getting a hold of an agent on the phone was a bit like pulling teeth, I always had to call and leave a message, then make sure I was right by my phone when they would call back. You couldn’t get through to the agent directly. I ended up turning my rental in early vs trying to deal with getting the extensions while they took forever totaling my car out since they were so hard to deal with. I was also able to purchase my replacement car prior to being reimbursed, but not everyone is so fortunate.

In the end, I was “made whole”, but it wasn’t as seamless and quick as claims I have had with other companies previously. I still have them as they are about $1000 cheaper than other options, so I just plan on having to take some time off work, etc anytime I have a claim to do that extra legwork myself.