Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MASTER THREAD: Tesla Insurance Services in California

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Good to hear that Tesla has their own body shops in CA. Do they have them in AZ?

I went with a dealer for my highlander body work. One was great but another one stuck on an aftermarket bumper that didn't fit right. They then said I caused the problem.:(

[Moderator note: this post by @Lectric_Agent was merged into this thread]
I got a notice from the DMV that i don’t have proof of insurance and my car registration will be suspended in a month. The notice allows you to rectify this online but i followed the instructions and it didn’t work.

I called Tesla insurance and they told me that they are sorry but they haven’t figured out sending insurance info to the ca dmv (what??). I was told the only solution was to go into dmv and show proof of insurance. I told them that this was unacceptable but they said sorry, suck it.

This must be happening to other Tesla insurance holders in ca. Any input would be appreciated.

The form says you can mail in the proof of insurance but Tesla says no and that I have to waste my time at a DMV wtf??

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Informative
Reactions: DougUnplugged
I got a notice from the DMV that i don’t have proof of insurance and my car registration will be suspended in a month. The notice allows you to rectify this online but i followed the instructions and it didn’t work.

I called Tesla insurance and they told me that they are sorry but they haven’t figured out sending insurance info to the ca dmv (what??). I was told the only solution was to go into dmv and show proof of insurance. I told them that this was unacceptable but they said sorry, suck it.

This must be happening to other Tesla insurance holders in ca. Any input would be appreciated.

The form says you can mail in the proof of insurance but Tesla says no and that I have to waste my time at a DMV wtf??
I know there had been a thread on this topic already but I guess it got rolled into the Tesla Insurance Master Thread. See here: MASTER THREAD: Tesla Insurance Services in California

Best recommendation to come out of it was that if you're a AAA member, you can do registration renewal it at any local AAA office so you don't have to go to the DMV. Other option if you feel it's unacceptable is to not accept it. Cancel your policy with Tesla and use a different insurer.

• Helpful
Reactions: mblakele
There is an existing thread about this exact topic, it’s in the Tesla Inc forum at Have Tesla insurance, just got DMV letter "Intent to Suspend" for lack of insurance

While currently Tesla Insurance is only available in California, so posts about it are perhaps best suited to the California forum, threads about Tesla Insurance also fit in the Tesla Inc forum since it is also a corporate issue.
[Moderator note: this post by @Lectric_Agent was merged into this thread]

I know there had been a thread on this topic already but I guess it got rolled into the Tesla Insurance Master Thread. See here: MASTER THREAD: Tesla Insurance Services in California

Best recommendation to come out of it was that if you're a AAA member, you can do registration renewal it at any local AAA office so you don't have to go to the DMV. Other option if you feel it's unacceptable is to not accept it. Cancel your policy with Tesla and use a different insurer.
UPDATE: Someone in the thread that ecarfan linked just above tried the AAA route and it looks like they may only be able to remedy the matter if your registration has already been suspended. Looks like either snail mail or e-mail of information to the appropriate DMV offices are still the best bets. See that thread for explanations of what people have tried that has worked or not.

Was price quoting the Tesla Insurance vs my StateFarm. To my surprise for the same coverage it was within $20 for the entire year. Now I am wondering in actual use, who would be better. I imagine, Tesla is back by its entire Service Center vs Statefarm's body shops when it comes to repairs. But Statefarm is an old big name and customer service has been nice.

Have any of you use your Tesla car insurance in an unfortunate even of a car accident. How was the process, was it smooth...how is the customer service...wait time...etc. Could you please share with us your experience.

Was price quoting the Tesla Insurance vs my StateFarm. To my surprise for the same coverage it was within $20 for the entire year. Now I am wondering in actual use, who would be better. I imagine, Tesla is back by its entire Service Center vs Statefarm's body shops when it comes to repairs. But Statefarm is an old big name and customer service has been nice.

Have any of you use your Tesla car insurance in an unfortunate even of a car accident. How was the process, was it smooth...how is the customer service...wait time...etc. Could you please share with us your experience.

Just saw this report on Reddit today:

My Tesla Insurance Claims Experience : teslamotors

I currently have Progressive for my Porsche, but adding a Model 3 will more than double my 6/mo premium. Would there be an issue if I kept Progressive for the Porsche and insured the Model 3 separately with Tesla insurance?

Quotes I received for Los Aneles for Model 3 ST+
Mercury $133 month
Tesla $121 month
Ameriprise (through Costco) $113

Coverage (both my wife and I on the policy with clean record):

Car Cost $45K
Bodily Injury $250/$500K
Property Damage $100K
Medical Payment $1K
Uninsured Motorist $100/$300K
Uninsured Motorist Property Damage $3,500
Deductible Collision $1k
Comprehensive Deductible $1K
Rental Car $50/$1,500 (Tesla just lists s In Network

Tesla Uninsused Motorist Property Damage (UMPD) coverage is $3500. If the car accident caused by an uninsured or hit-and-run driver, will Tesla Insurance pay for actual repair cost or just $3500? Mercury insurance coverage is "Maximum" for UMPD. Thank you for you response

I wish I could say I've had a positive experience with Tesla Insurance, but I can't. I am in Walnut Creek, California and I was hit from behind while stationary at a red light on Nov 4th, it's now 11/18 and I still do not have a final estimate for the repair. The repair started out at 38K is now 49K and Tesla simply does not know what to do. Everything feels like a learning experience.

I wish I could say I've had a positive experience with Tesla Insurance, but I can't. I am in Walnut Creek, California and I was hit from behind while stationary at a red light on Nov 4th, it's now 11/18 and I still do not have a final estimate for the repair. The repair started out at 38K is now 49K and Tesla simply does not know what to do. Everything feels like a learning experience.

Probably b/c it's a a learning experience. I think I'll stick with USAA...

Final update: Got the car back after 3 weeks in the shop, 4 days earlier than estimated. Returned like new. No increase on my premium, but it was a minor accident with no injury.

Looks like my experience isn't what others have experienced. I'm sure a lot of factors come into play when dealing with the chaos of an auto accident. Since my accident was relatively minor--fender, bumper, headlight and wheel assembly, it was probably an easier case than others. However, I will be keeping this policy, since I did have a good experience considering the situation, and the premium is much less than my standard insurance.

Final update: Got the car back after 3 weeks in the shop, 4 days earlier than estimated. Returned like new. No increase on my premium, but it was a minor accident with no injury.

Looks like my experience isn't what others have experienced. I'm sure a lot of factors come into play when dealing with the chaos of an auto accident. Since my accident was relatively minor--fender, bumper, headlight and wheel assembly, it was probably an easier case than others. However, I will be keeping this policy, since I did have a good experience considering the situation, and the premium is much less than my standard insurance.
Thx for the update it helps a bunch.

“An error has occurred submitting your information. Please try again.”

I’ve had my vin for awhile now and it works on other insurance companies. It just popped up on Tesla along with the ability to request a quote - but now I get this error message.

Sigh.

Anyone been through this? Should I stay clear of Tesla insurance? I mean if they can’t sell you insurance, I can’t imagine what’s it like to deal with them if you have a claim.

• Informative
Reactions: tvad
I'm picking up my M3 on Wednesday and have been trying to get a quote from Tesla since last Wednesday. Every time I click get quote it tries to connect and then says unable to provide quote. I live in California so that's not the issue. I called the phone number listed but of course you can only get a quote online not over the phone. The phone number is only for claims or changes to your existing policy. Is anyone else having these issues?
Did you ever solve this? Having the same issus.