Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MASTER THREAD: USB drives that work with Sentry and TeslaCam

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Looking at picking up a 2T T7 Samsung SSD for my M3. Formating on a Mac in EXFAT and creating 3 folders. Is there a link on HERE to recommend the steps. I have found older versions but not something within the past month or so.
Formatting on a Mac has not changed in a long time, so you should be good to go. It's actually pretty simple and straightforward using Disc Utility on your computer. I actually have my 1TB T7 partitioned into two separate drives: one for Music (about 700GB) and one for TeslaCam (the rest)

Let us know if you still need help/guidance.

BTW: I have almost 13,000 tracks, many being FLAC and I am nowhere near to filling the 700GB, so you may just want to opt for the 1TB. YMMV

The model 3 comes with a 128 g right? For how long it can record? How many days/hours ? Couldn't find this information

By default it only records in a 1 hour loop, deleting older footage as it goes- this takes up roughly 7.4 GB (4 cameras at roughly 1.8GB each for an hour of footage)

Only for sentry clips or manually saved footage does it keep anything else... each of those recordings is roughly 1.2 GB (4 cameras at 300MB each for 10 minutes of footage)

So you could hold roughly 100 sentry or saved clips in addition to the 1 hour recent loop on a 128GB stick.

Note it WILL delete the oldest sentry clips when it needs space and you are below 5% free space. It will NOT delete saved clips though so you can potentially totally fill the drive that way.

Agreed. I think this warning message from Tesla is helpful to all owners who are using slow write speed USB drives that may have issues if they were ever in a incident where they needed to download dashcam footage. This would futureproof that.
Thanks for all this. Conservatively, it sounds like an SSD is the safest. ...still a bit confused about the capacity -- does it or does it not save more video?

This is explained 4 posts above your question-

By default it only records in a 1 hour loop, deleting older footage as it goes- this takes up roughly 7.4 GB (4 cameras at roughly 1.8GB each for an hour of footage)

Only for sentry clips or manually saved footage does it keep anything else... each of those recordings is roughly 1.2 GB (4 cameras at 300MB each for 10 minutes of footage-- EDIT for sentry specifically it might grab the interior cam too, that'd make these 1.5GB each if so)

So you could hold roughly 80-100 sentry or saved clips in addition to the 1 hour recent loop on a 128GB stick.

Note it WILL delete the oldest sentry clips when it needs space and you are below 5% free space. It will NOT delete saved clips though so you can potentially totally fill the drive that way.

128GB is PLENTY unless you plan to record a ton of things manually and never clear the drive out.