Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MASTER THREAD: USB drives that work with Sentry and TeslaCam

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just bought an Samsung T5 SSD and I can’t seem to format it to Fat32. Can I just use it as exfat or ntfs?

Nope.

If using windows you'll need a 3rd party utility to do it...

This is a handy utility for a number of uses- including doing that:
Rufus - The Official Website (Download, New Releases)

or you can just wait till they start a larger rollout of the update to 2020.16.x that includes the ability to format storage in the car.

Does anyone know of a way to hide a Samsung T5 SSD in a brand new Model X, which has the wireless phone charger cradle near the USB ports? I’m asking for a relative who hasn’t received the Model X they ordered yet, but they’re hoping to not have the SSD sitting where it’s visible.

Does anyone know of a way to hide a Samsung T5 SSD in a brand new Model X, which has the wireless phone charger cradle near the USB ports? I’m asking for a relative who hasn’t received the Model X they ordered yet, but they’re hoping to not have the SSD sitting where it’s visible.
Try the Model X forums - you are in the Model 3 forums. You might have better luck over there.

Reactions: lUtriaNt and bcpm3p
And I did not mean that you are not welcome here - just that I thought you had a better chance of getting an answer there than here.

Didn't mean to sound rude!

So are Thumbdrives a no-no?

And how big are these files? 1TB seems like a lot for something like this.
There are a lot of us that use thumb drives and have zero problems. From my readings here, I suspect most of the issues have been because of counterfeit drives, but that is just my speculation. IMO, an SSD is overkill, but others will have a different opinion.

I use a 256 GB Flash drive from Costco and it dedicated to music (I trust Costco's supply chain much more than Amazon's for these). I have a hair over 9,000 songs on there, but not all of them are high quality FLAC files (it takes a while to replace a 28,000 song library!). For me, individual file sizes range generally from 3-4 MB to 35-40 MB for higher quality files (but some of the DJ mixes I have on there are in the 250 MB range).

I use separate drives for Music and Sentry

• Helpful
Reactions: Arctic_White
There are a lot of us that use thumb drives and have zero problems. From my readings here, I suspect most of the issues have been because of counterfeit drives, but that is just my speculation. IMO, an SSD is overkill, but others will have a different opinion.

I use a 256 GB Flash drive from Costco and it dedicated to music (I trust Costco's supply chain much more than Amazon's for these). I have a hair over 9,000 songs on there, but not all of them are high quality FLAC files (it takes a while to replace a 28,000 song library!). For me, individual file sizes range generally from 3-4 MB to 35-40 MB for higher quality files (but some of the DJ mixes I have on there are in the 250 MB range).

I use separate drives for Music and Sentry
Cool. The Sentry is what I’m thinking of. So you have two USB sticks? Thanks!

Cool. The Sentry is what I’m thinking of. So you have two USB sticks? Thanks!
Yes - I use two sticks. Originally it was two of the Cruzer I linked to, but I switched to the Roadie a while back for Sentry.

Since I also have a Qi charger (which also needs the USB ports), I use two Navaks as splitters. They are specifically designed to split the majority of the power (2.1 amps) to one port and data (with 400mA of power) to the other. Also, @Navak is a member here on TMC and is great to work with!

@Roadie is also a member here on TMC.

• Helpful
Reactions: Arctic_White
Yes - I use two sticks. Originally it was two of the Cruzer I linked to, but I switched to the Roadie a while back for Sentry.

Since I also have a Qi charger (which also needs the USB ports), I use two Navaks as splitters. They are specifically designed to split the majority of the power (2.1 amps) to one port and data (with 400mA of power) to the other. Also, @Navak is a member here on TMC and is great to work with!

@Roadie is also a member here on TMC.
Great thank you, I have been looking at different USB hubs - I like the Navak you posted. That makes lot of sense. So the Data would be both used for the different things (one for music, one for sentry)? Love it.

Ordering one of these sporty Sandisk 1 TB SSD drives... they look very 'Telsa-ish' and are waterpoof...) for my ordered but not delivered Model 3.. Wondering how long the cable needs to be and if Model 3's use USB A or USB C... Thanks!
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B078STRHBX/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1

This drive or one very similar is now available at Costco ($139.99 as I type this) as well.

https://www.costco.com/sandisk-extreme-1tb--portable-solid-state-drive.product.100527741.html