Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MASTER THREAD: USB drives that work with Sentry and TeslaCam

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've looked at recommendations for devices to record Teslacam and Sentry mode; they conflict one another. One video recommends an SSD, another says to use a thumb drive, another says to use an endurance micro SD Card. Another says to avoid micro SD Cards.

About the only thing they agree on is not to use a hard disk, which I wouldn't consider in the first place.

I'm confused; is there a best device to use? If so, what is it?

Reactions: angus[Y]oung
There’s a reason this thread is 39 pages...lots of opinions. IMHO, SSD like T5 certainly works, but is overkill for the application. Unless you intend on never looking at your videos and deleting them from the drive, a physically smaller high endurance micro SD provides ample storage space and takes up almost no room in the car.

I've looked at recommendations for devices to record Teslacam and Sentry mode; they conflict one another. One video recommends an SSD, another says to use a thumb drive, another says to use an endurance micro SD Card. Another says to avoid micro SD Cards.

About the only thing they agree on is not to use a hard disk, which I wouldn't consider in the first place.

I'm confused; is there a best device to use? If so, what is it?

The actual owners manual specifically recommends 2 USB thumb drives (one of which I've used the 128GB version of for ~18 months with 0 issues- the Samsung one).

Link here:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07D7PDLXC

An SSD will generally be the most expensive, take up the most room, use the most power, and have the narrowest operating temps (and I've seen a number of folks posting issues with them in recent SW updates too).

The things an SSD is really good at aren't relevant to this application (the ports are USB2, so being SUPER FAST doesn't help in any way- the car is only writing at 2MB/sec anyway).... the only time it really makes any sense at all is if you have a HUGE music collection (like larger than would fit on a 256GB usb key) because beyond 256GB non-SSD flash gets a lot more expensive.

SDcards are fine, but require an added adapter so that's an additional point of failure (indeed a number of folks have posted about their adapter failing and needing to replace it).

So my recommendations are either get a 128GB Samsung Fit Plus .... or if you need to plug in a number of things to your ports, get a Navak Gen2 adapter and use an SDcard

The adapter includes an SDcard slot for sentry, plus dual USB port for a phone charger, and another USB port for a music thumb drive.

This is the card I've used in that adapter (I was a beta tester for Navak)-

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07D7PDLXC

A second Navak adapter on the other side would also let you attach both a phone charger and a game controller- or if you've no need for a controller the second phone charger can just plug right into the port.

Either way the navak stuff takes up a lot less space than a giant hub does, and usually offers a lot more intelligent splitting of the power too-

https://www.amazon.com/Navak-Splitter-Tesla-Model-Power/dp/B07Z2KQ719

1st gen Navak- no SDslot, 2.1 amp charger port and 400ma data port

https://www.amazon.com/Navak-Combo-Adapter-Tesla-Model/dp/B08B3FY8X8

2nd gen Navak- SD slot, 1.5 amp charger AND data port, 500ma data port

Note- Navak is a member here, offers excellent support- and I think sometimes Amazon discount codes too

No splitter, 64GB Gigastone.
Within 24 hours after receiving update 2019.24.4 I got a message saying USB drive not compatible.
I'm going to a SSD.

i have a samsung T7 Touch that I’m trying to set up now. Haven’t been able to figure it out but I have read posts they it’s been a plug an play for them. Not sure how since the default format is ExFAT. I can’t figure out how to reformat but I will or I’ll return. If you find a good one that works let me know. If I figure out how to format this one will work awesome.

Can’t seem to get my dashcam to record. I’ve got a 500gb sandisk extreme SSD, it is formatted to FAT32 with a TeslaCam sub directory, it records fine for Sentry Mode, and the dashcam symbol comes up on the screen in white (no red dot), but no matter what I do I can’t get the dashcam to start recording.

If I tap the dashcam symbol nothing happens (I never see the red dot or get any dashcam recordings saved). I have the Honk Horn to Save Clip function turned on but that does nothing. Tried resetting the Tesla system, and reformatting the SSD (using MacBook and using the format function on the car).

It’s a brand new Model 3 on the latest software.

Any ideas?

Can’t seem to get my dashcam to record. I’ve got a 500gb sandisk extreme SSD, it is formatted to FAT32 with a TeslaCam sub directory, it records fine for Sentry Mode, and the dashcam symbol comes up on the screen in white (no red dot), but no matter what I do I can’t get the dashcam to start recording.

Sentry doesn't record anything. Ever.

It only moves dashcam recordings from recent to the sentry folder.

You can have the sentry light "on" without even having storage attached- that light isn't indicating anything being recorded.

If I tap the dashcam symbol nothing happens (I never see the red dot or get any dashcam recordings saved). I have the Honk Horn to Save Clip function turned on but that does nothing. Tried resetting the Tesla system, and reformatting the SSD (using MacBook and using the format function on the car).

It’s a brand new Model 3 on the latest software.

Any ideas?

Have you tried any other storage device? I've seen a LOT of folks having issues with SSDs posted lately.

Try pressing the camera symbol a bit harder .. I've noticed its a bit less sensitive than the other controls (probably to stop it being tapped by accident).
And are you sure it's FAT32 and not exFAT (just checking).

Does the screen even know how "hard" you press? Maybe it should be a "longer" press, not "harder".

Yeah definitely FAT32.

Starts recording only when I park up (sentry mode symbol comes on and the red dot on the dashcam appears). I can view those recordings, but they are the only ones on the SSD.

But only have the white dashcam logo with no red dot when driving, an no attempt at pressing (no matter how hard) or honking the horn will make it start recording.

I’ll try a USB thumb drive and see if that works.

Press and hold the dashcam icon, until you see it "flash" around your finger. Then the icon should get a red dot in the corner, and will be recording.

Yeah definitely FAT32.

Starts recording only when I park up (sentry mode symbol comes on and the red dot on the dashcam appears). I can view those recordings, but they are the only ones on the SSD.

But only have the white dashcam logo with no red dot when driving, an no attempt at pressing (no matter how hard) or honking the horn will make it start recording.

I’ll try a USB thumb drive and see if that works.

If its recording sentry mode events its not the device. And as others have noted I meant "press the camera icon a little longer" not harder :) .. my guess it that longer press should turn it on for you.

Note that the horn honk only works when the Dashcam icon is already on (red dot). To record a Dashcam event its needs to be enabled (red dot on the camera icon), and then you can either tap the camera icon OR honk the horn (if you have that option enabled).

Ok I’m completely puzzled now. Tried a usb flash thumb drive. Exactly the same problem. Tried pressing down the dashcam symbol until it flashed. Nothing changed and the red dot still didn’t come up. Tried tapping it and same result.

And yet as soon as I stop and press park it happily starts recording in sentry mode.

Hoping the next update might fix it for me.

Ok I’m completely puzzled now. Tried a usb flash thumb drive. Exactly the same problem. Tried pressing down the dashcam symbol until it flashed. Nothing changed and the red dot still didn’t come up. Tried tapping it and same result.
Just making sure: are you trying to look at the footage in the Viewer?

You can also review Dashcam and Sentry Mode video recordings on your vehicle's touchscreen by touching the Dashcam icon and selecting "Launch Viewer". Each video, organized by timestamp, provides footage of a saved event from each camera. Touch the thumbnail of any camera to enlarge the video. Pause, rewind, fast forward, and delete video footage as needed. Your vehicle must be in Park to view Dashcam and Sentry Mode footage on the touchscreen.

Also, try the double thumb-wheel reboot.

Finally, what version of the firmware are you on? New cars are often NOT on the latest version (though the Viewer was introduced with 2020.15.5, so most likely you're at least on that)

How do I make it continue overwriting old clips instead of me having to reformat each time?
You shouldn't have to reformat. From the manual (page 84)
As the USB flash drive runs out of available space, the oldest footage in Sentry Clips is deleted to make room for new footage. Once deleted, you will be unable to retrieve them. When the flash drive is full, Sentry Mode and Dashcam can no longer save video footage. To prevent the flash drive from getting full, you must regularly move saved videos to another device, and delete them from the flash drive.
Note that the manually saved footage is the only thing that (should) not be overwritten.

Are you getting an error message that the disk is FULL? You could be getting a message that your drive is too SLOW for writing. A big part of the reason this thread is 779 posts long is there is much debate as to whether it is a hardware issue or a Tesla SW issue, with (IMO) the evidence pointing to this being a SW issue.

FWIW, flash memory (all types) do slow down as the drive gets more than 80-90% full... so it's a good idea to clean out old sentry/saved stuff on some kind of regular basis for performance reasons.

Personally I found myself doing this every 3-4 months on a 128GB key and it was usually between 50-75% full when I did (pre covid- parking at work 5 days/week), but that will vary massively by person and how many sentry triggers they get.