Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MASTER THREAD: USB drives that work with Sentry and TeslaCam

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Why not just use the Windows built in tool?

Press “Windows +R” and enter “diskmgmt.msc”,you will see all the disks in your computer.
you can partition from there.

Find the drive want on the lower part of the screen
right click then click Delete volume
Then right click it again then click New Simple volume
then follow the steps and create a partition the size you want, then repeat it again in the used portion for the balance.
then format

Or am I missing a reason to use a special software?
Used to be you had to use FAT32 (because exFAT was still under license restrictions) and windows refuses to format a partition larger than 32GB in gui. With exFAT, that doesn't really apply.

Why not just use the Windows built in tool?

Press “Windows +R” and enter “diskmgmt.msc”,you will see all the disks in your computer.
you can partition from there.

Find the drive want on the lower part of the screen
right click then click Delete volume
Then right click it again then click New Simple volume
then follow the steps and create a partition the size you want, then repeat it again in the used portion for the balance.
then format

Or am I missing a reason to use a special software?

I don't typically use the Windows disk management but I did try the free version of Partition Magic before using GParted which should be similar. I've used Partition Magic countless times before to do partitions, formatting etc so its not the software.

For some reason, it wouldn't let me make any modifications to the Samsung SSD, to format, add/delete the partitions since there were no options to do so. After some investigations online, someone changed the partition table to GPT to resolve the issue and GParted was the one way I found to do this without buying any software.

I'm sure there are other ways to do this and maybe easier but I was just sharing what worked for me.

Has anyone had any luck with using a single partition for both the dashcam and music now that exFAT is supported in the car? My microSD reader and card seem to occasionally pop up an error stating the drive is not connected, which requires removing and re-inserting to make the message go away. Restoring to a single drive fixes the problem, but having a folder named "Music" doesn't seem to allow files to be found or the USB option to show up in the media player.

Recently we have been getting UI_a134 Alerts on both our Model 3 and Model S using our dual card reader and Samsung Pro Endurance microSD card (had been used successfully until recent software upgrade). Ordered the "SanDisk - SDDR-B531-GN6NN MobileMate USB 3.0 microSD Card Reader - SDDR-B531-GN6NN Black" card reader and not experiencing any alerts now. Now using on it with our Samsung microSD card on both of our cars without problems so passing the info on. It is a single media reader so maybe that has made the difference.

Is there any reason to choose a USB 3.0 reader/drive? The Model 3’s ports are USB 2.0 so it’s not like the dashcam can write any faster. Plus, dashcam only requires 4 MB/s which is way below USB 2.0 maximum speeds.
Even assuming 2.0 ports, getting a 3.0 reader/drive allows potentially faster speeds when using on a computer. Also the glovebox port is 3.0.

Tesla goes USB 3.0 in Glovebox port for improved Dashcam and Sentry Mode video quality
Glovebox USB port. Is it 2.0 or 3.0?

Reactions: mystryman007
I’ve had such bad luck with the Sandisk MobileMate. Two have failed — one in Model S and now second one (that came with the high-endurance card bundle) failed after less than two months in the Model Y.

The memory card is still fine and readable/writable in a PC and the Model Y can format it fine when used with a different card adaptor, but the microSD is no longer accessible with the MobileMate in Tesla/PC/Mac.
I, too, was having the UI_a134 error. I was using the SanDisk GB Max Ensurance microSDXC Card, along with an Anker dual USB-C/USB-A adapter. I chose that Anker dual adapter thing so I could move it from either the glovebox or the center console, depending on my needs, or for inserting into my mac. Unfortunately, that error would not go away.

I changed adapters to the SanDisk MobileMate USB 3.0 Reader recommended up-thread, and the error code went away.

I, too, was having the UI_a134 error. I was using the SanDisk GB Max Ensurance microSDXC Card, along with an Anker dual USB-C/USB-A adapter. I chose that Anker dual adapter thing so I could move it from either the glovebox or the center console, depending on my needs, or for inserting into my mac. Unfortunately, that error would not go away.

I changed adapters to the SanDisk MobileMate USB 3.0 Reader recommended up-thread, and the error code went away.
I just received my SanDisk 256GB Max Endurance card and MobileMate USB 3.0 adapter, as well as a software update to 2022.4.5.
Hope everything works as expected.

I just received my SanDisk 256GB Max Endurance card and MobileMate USB 3.0 adapter, as well as a software update to 2022.4.5.
Hope everything works as expected.
Got it working. I have a habit of naming the drive partitions with names that describe the drive such as "SanDiskMax256", stuff like that.

So I took my Samsung Bar Plus 256 GB thumb drive, put a single large exFAT partition on it called "Samsung256G", copied my 144GB or so of FLAC music onto it, used a known-working Apple USB-C adapter dongle, and the car couldn't find my music drive.

I had also put the SanDisk card into the MobileMate adapter, formatted a single large exFAT partition named as above, and the car gave some weird errors such as "no free space" and wouldn't record.

I had to rename the SDXC card partition to "TESLADRIVE" or the car couldn't see it. Likewise, I renamed my music drive from "Samsung256G" to "MUSIC" and the car saw the drive.

I don't think the partition names "TESLADRIVE" and "MUSIC" are special, as my previous music drive was on a partition called "CORSAIR" (it was the physically-tiny Voyager Vega 128 GB drive which couldn't hold all my stuff.) But it wasn't called "CORSAIR128" or similar.

I think the Tesla doesn't like numbers in the partition names/labels for some reason.

• Informative
Reactions: 4SUPER9
I mentioned several months back that I'm using a Kingston reader from Amazon: Kingston MobileLite Plus USB 3.2 microSDHC/SDXC UHS-II Card Reader (MLPM)
paired with a Sandisk microSD card: SanDisk 256GB High Endurance Video microSDXC Card with Adapter for Dash Cam and Home Monitoring systems - C10, U3, V30, 4K UHD, Micro SD Card - SDSQQN

It's been working well except that the drive occasionally needs reformatting. Since this just takes a few seconds in the car, it's not really a problem as long as I either do it routinely, or check in the UI to make sure it's working, either by checking the webcam enable section or pressing the webcam icon to see if it brings up the viewer.

It's been working well except that the drive occasionally needs reformatting. Since this just takes a few seconds in the car, it's not really a problem as long as I either do it routinely, or check in the UI to make sure it's working, either by checking the webcam enable section or pressing the webcam icon to see if it brings up the viewer.
I think this is good practice for most SD cards, regardless of use. And, we need to recognize that USB drives are really consumable. Don't expect them to last forever. Although, the longer we can get out of one, the better. My Blackvue destroyed the cards easily once a year, though those things run 🔥

I think this is good practice for most SD cards, regardless of use. And, we need to recognize that USB drives are really consumable. Don't expect them to last forever. Although, the longer we can get out of one, the better. My Blackvue destroyed the cards easily once a year, though those things run 🔥
I had my Gamin camera in my windshield here in AZ and my SD card held up. I was honestly surprised the camera still worked with the heat.

View attachment 467943

I’m pretty sure most USB sticks are faster than 4 MB/s. I’ve been using the same USB stick since I bought the car and I’m getting this problem after the version 10 upgrade.

Also, curious as to why they have a service appointment option.
Almost any USB drive has a limited number of write/erase cycles. It could be that the USB stick is approaching its max number of writes.

I mentioned several months back that I'm using a Kingston reader from Amazon: Kingston MobileLite Plus USB 3.2 microSDHC/SDXC UHS-II Card Reader (MLPM)
paired with a Sandisk microSD card: SanDisk 256GB High Endurance Video microSDXC Card with Adapter for Dash Cam and Home Monitoring systems - C10, U3, V30, 4K UHD, Micro SD Card - SDSQQN

I am a bit late to the party here, but this is the exact set up I ordered yesterday so good to see you are happy with it so far.

So my home computer is an imac and all my music is on itunes. Can anyone point me to information on how to transfer songs from itunes to a FLAC format and arrange the titles so they are organized in a manner where it's easy to find songs?