Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MASTER THREAD: USB drives that work with Sentry and TeslaCam

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Reactions: tren01t
Is your USB drive directly connected to the USB port, or is it going through a splitter. I’ve read that people who use USB splitters (with power going to another device, and data to the drive) have been having problems.

It's a bug.

Folks whose drives have been working fine for months, including ones with expensive 3.1 USB drives, are getting this too (in the several other threads already talking about it).

The car is USB2.0, and the cameras write much slower than even 2.0 can do let alone 3. The camera data is writing at 1.5 MB/sec. Even really old, crap, slow USB 2.0 drives of any size can do ~10 MB/sec and most are faster.

This is not a hardware issue- don't waste $ on some crazy fast drive that'll potentially have the same problem. Wait for Tesla to push an update to fix it.

I have 24.4, and my TeslaCam flash keeps on working...

I have one of these:
ss31.png

I use a Sandisk Connect USB drive (200GB) and even since I upgraded to 2019.24.4 I have been getting nothing but 1kb files. I didn't get any error on my screen, it claims that it's working fine but both Senty Mode and Dashcam videos are affected. This used to happen sporadically (just like everyone else) for certain cameras, but ever since the upgrade every single video file has been 1kb. I swapped it out with a different USB device today (SD card reader with a 256GB Samsung SD card in it). Will check when I get home from work; hopefully it's something with the drive. I'd hate if I had to make a SC appointment to get this fixed; I don't like being without the Sentry recordings.

• Informative
Reactions: V__2
2019.24.4 killed my Sandisk Cruzer Fit 64Gb drive. Just after finishing installation, I was able to play a single song from the flash drive, then it became unresponsive. Unplugging and plugging back in resulted in the activity light coming in for a second, and the drive not being recognized. Ive connected it to 3 different computers, can’t even find it in control panel on Windows boxes or Disk Utility on Mac’s.

The Samsung drive that replaced it is working just fine. The Sandisk Ultra I tried to replace it with kept disconnecting from the car randomly. Definitely an odd bug.

From what I've learned so far, many USB drives were not designed for continuous write and will overheat and eventually die because of this.

A easy way to pick a flash drive that is designed for speed and continuous operation is to look for the "endurance" micro SD cards. You need something with a V20 rating which means it can sustain 20MB/S continuous write speed. Don't bother with the maximum write speed rating.

Another option is to just buy a M2 2280 SSD drive ($35 for 240GB) and add an enclosure for $12. That should be cheaper than the high class micro SD drives at the same size, and will easily outperform them.

I use a Sandisk Connect USB drive (200GB) and even since I upgraded to 2019.24.4 I have been getting nothing but 1kb files. I didn't get any error on my screen, it claims that it's working fine but both Senty Mode and Dashcam videos are affected. This used to happen sporadically (just like everyone else) for certain cameras, but ever since the upgrade every single video file has been 1kb. I swapped it out with a different USB device today (SD card reader with a 256GB Samsung SD card in it). Will check when I get home from work; hopefully it's something with the drive. I'd hate if I had to make a SC appointment to get this fixed; I don't like being without the Sentry recordings.

Same issue here since 2019.24.4. All files are now 1kb where the dashcam/sentry used to work fine on my RPI. Looks like a bug to me, so I guess we'll have to wait for an update and hope Tesla provides a fix

Reactions: zosoisnotaword
I think 2019.24.4 screwed up the dash cam.

I'm using the same USB drive I've used since March/April and rarely had an issue. Now I get the gray "X" EVERY time I get in the car (last week or two, around the time I received the firmware update). I have to remove the drive and re-insert it to get the red recording dot working again.

Same exact problem here after 2019.24.4 update. I remove drive, re-insert and it records fine. About 15 mins later I get gray x again.

I called Tesla support, they wanted me to get an appointment with mobile service, tried to book appointments.. mobile app kept timing out.

Super annoying, has to related to 2019.24.4 update.

• Informative
Reactions: Kleenerth3