Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MASTER THREAD: USB drives that work with Sentry and TeslaCam

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Except we've had folks report both problems and no problems with the same model.

Because...it's a software issue, not hardware.

You would think that what you state proves it's Tesla software bug, I have already disagreed before. Having same USB stick work before but not after an update does not prove it is not the USB drive. Some drives may not age well, poorly written garbage collection algorithms can cause an observable difference in device behavior over time. Incorrectly aligned partitioning can make a good drive behave like cheap throwaway. Tesla possibly adjusting the expected time to receive a response when performing an operation on the drive is likely in my opinion. Lookup TLER/CCTL.

At any rate, if my car was experiencing such issue I much rather not wait repeating "it's a Tesla bug" hoping for a fix but would try and find a suitable workaround. I offered a potential $12 solution. Maybe it is worth testing and it helps someone, maybe not.

Ok same problem here. I had several usb drives that I’ve been using for dash cam and recently I’ve been getting the error that my drives are too slow. They are not. I tested them on the computer with a speed tester program. Seems like some people have this issue some don’t. My friend on the same sw version does not. But I do. Had this error since 28.3. But sounds like it’s been sporadic for people since 24.

Is your USB drive directly connected to the USB port, or is it going through a splitter. I’ve read that people who use USB splitters (with power going to another device, and data to the drive) have been having problems.

My splitter has a fatter wire going to one side and a thinner wire going to the other. I think that this means one side is power only and the other is power+data. Make sure that you plug your storage device into the power+data side.

-Drew

I had been successfully using a SanDisk Extreme GO USB 3.1 128GB drive without issues. Now I get the “too slow” message for this same disk. I replaced that higher speed drive with an older, slower 256GB SanDisk drive that doesn’t get the “too slow” message.
I’m guessing there’s a software issue, so it’s a crapshoot as to whether any particular drive will work.

Like everyone else, I've been having the same problem after the update a few versions ago. Even with more updates it would work for an hour or so and then the same error message of the drive not fast enough would show up again. Yesterday I installed the Taptes wireless charger and used their USB splitter to connect to the charger and the USB stick. For a whole day I didn't see the error message. This morning no error message as well. I'll report back if there are any changes.

Except folks with the same drive are getting the error as others who aren't.

So that's not really a fix either.

I'm using a Samsung FIT Plus 128 drive for example. Works fine. As it has for months. No error messages about speed.

Others have reported the "too slow" issue with the exact same drive

And it's much much faster than needed for writing the mere 1.5MB/s the car is writing data. (again, even totally crap drives are faster than this)

Others have reported spending $ on a "new" and "fast" drive and then getting the same issue a week or two later.

Im using the same drive you are (samsung FIT plus 128), not partitioned, has been working fine, but message popped up today for the first time about write speed. I AM using a usb hub, but have had this hub that does USB 3.1 on all ports since january, and no issues till this last firmware update (32.X).

I just moved the drive from one port in the hub to another and the message went away. Drive is still plenty fast as measured when i took it out so I dont believe its a speed issue... just as @Knightshade is mentioning.

I got that message for the first time after a firmware update a few months ago. This was with the same SanDisk Ultra Fit USB thumb drive that's been working fine since the Dash Cam function was first introduced. Reformatted the drive and I haven't seen it again since. I use a USB 2.0 hub. It hasn't reappeared through a couple more firmware updates, so who knows what the issue was.

I read that Tesla service has told several people that it was a bug that caused the ‘Too Slow to Save’ error only on large capacity USB devices. So after not having any luck with my 128g USB 2.0 stick, I switched to a 16g 2.0 stick.
Now it works with no issues. I recently received a message on the screen saying that the device was full after about three weeks of use. I reformatted and it’s back in use again.

• Helpful
Reactions: phaheem
Tesla's software update back in late spring "broke" the camera.

• It started giving false error messages (too slow, not enough space)
  • The camera quit working: it either wouldn't automatically start recording when you got in your car or it would randomly *sugar* itself off while you were driving
  • Sentry mode is essentially worthless for me now. I had sentry mode on last week and my car alarm was triggered. I checked my USB and nothing was recorded. I don't mean it was a false alarm. I mean there was no file on the USB at all
  • Sometimes when I check my USB it'll have recorded a full 60 minutes or longer. I can't figure out why
It was a pretty useful "tool" for a few months. Definitely needed some fine tuning, but it was an asset to have on your vehicle. Now it's trash; barely even helpful. Super disappointing.

Here’s an update. So after formatting the original usb’s dozens of times and trying other usb’s at home with no success, we had a service appointment for a steering wheel issue. So we brought up the dash cam issue with the technician as well. They said they’d look into it. I reminded them the dash cam would work for a few mins before going grey. They did their work and told me everything worked fine when they used their usb so I’d just have to format the stick again. I reiterated to them again I’d tried to dozens of time. So of course they told me to get a new one. Anyway, got this on amazon:
Samsung BAR Plus 128GB - 300MB/s USB 3.1 Flash Drive Champagne Silver (MUF-128BE3/AM) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07BPK3XWW/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_5uPIDbEP2MHB5

Now it’s been working perfectly for 2 weeks now. Hardware issue? Software issue? I don’t care. I care whether it works.

I had this problem for a little while and it seems to have stopped without getting an update. I’ve been on 24.4 for quite a while and I believe that’s when it started. I was able to temporarily fix the ‘too slow’ error by just removing and reinserting the USB drive, but I haven’t got the error in several weeks now and I’m still on 24.4.