Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MASTER THREAD: USB drives that work with Sentry and TeslaCam

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had NOT had the "too slow to save" error message until v10 beta was installed. Now it is constant. Removing the drive and reinserting will clear it for a while, but eventually, the error comes back.
I'm using a Samsung 128 USB 3.1.

Same here. Just started getting the issue after the v10 update. On both a Samsung 128gb Fit Plus, and some random usb 3.0 micro usb adapter.

not on v10 yet but my too slow error changed after the last ug to just random not recognizing the usb - eg insert it red dot appears, drive, etc. no events recorded then at random times the dot changes to grey x!!!
Occasionally still get too slow error message - with a usb that has been in the car and showing as good - no events recorded and then in the middle of a drive it just suddenly appears (exclamation point)- so beyond frustrating!!!!

I have the Sandisk Cruzer USB 3.1 drive at 64GB. When the error pops up (maybe like once in a while) I just remove the drive and plug it back in and all will be well. At the end of the week, I just format the drive again and have not had any issues. Thinking of moving up to an SSD though...

It's just a software issue. I've been using the same drive for many months and only got the "slow drive" message the first time last week after deleting the existing files. Got the error multiple times after unplugging and it's been gone since.

Reactions: sceptic
I have tried five or six different USB drives and all eventually give me the same error about the drive being too slow. The funny thing was that the knockoff "16gb" drive I tried was functional for the longest.

Has anyone figured out an actual solution to this?

I have a HW2.5 on 2019.32.11 if that means anything.

I also have flawless service from Samsung fit plus. I use the 256gb version formatted into two drives for music and sentry. In addition to speed, pay attention to the maximum temperature ratings. Longevity drops significantly with high temperatures so pick one with high temperature ratings.... this is why I didn't go with ssd.

Never ever had an issue using this setup and pretty cheap too, fwiw

ssd for senty mode.png

For better performance and reliability, I recommend something that has been specifically designed for a lot of read-write cycles and high temperatures, like a high endurance micro SD card. Pair this with a microSD-to-USB adapter/reader and I think you’ll have a perfect combination. Below is the high endurance microSD card and USB adapter/reader combination that I’m currently using. Has worked flawlessly for me so far. The best part is I can sit in the car and simply plug this adapter to my iPhone to view any Sentry mode events.

https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-Endurance-64GB-Micro-Adapter/dp/B07B9KTLJZ

https://www.amazon.com/suntrsi-Compatible-Android-Computer-Charging/dp/B07D72L4Q7

I was getting the same error. I have a Jeda USB Hub and picked up a Samsung T5 SSD drive based on results of tests Jeda conducted. The Hub even comes with a short USB cable to make an SSD easier to install. I no longer get the error.

I picked up a 1TB drive based on a tweet I'd seen by Elon(can't find it now) that due to limited onboard storage that a future update would allow apps to be downloaded to a USB drive.

I used my Mac to partition it for dashcam/sentry mode and music. For some reason Microsoft no longer allows you to format large drives with the FAT file system, so it's a bit more complicated and you'll need a 3rd party tool to do so.

Attachments

• IMG_2168.jpg
    IMG_2168.jpg
    563.4 KB · Views: 161
  • IMG_2170.jpg
    IMG_2170.jpg
    547.7 KB · Views: 158
  • IMG_2172.jpg
    IMG_2172.jpg
    747.5 KB · Views: 145
  • IMG_2174.jpg
    IMG_2174.jpg
    485.8 KB · Views: 146
I recently got this drive which is supposed to be fast and USB (Samsung BAR Plus 128GB - 300MB/s USB 3.1) https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07BPG9YX9/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Now with V10 and the rear camera, and partitioned with a Music Dir - it shows that the tesla cam doesn't have fast enough write speeds! even if I'm not playing music from the USB, Sentry mode doesn't seem to have this problem...not sure if it's a faulty drive or just not fast enough?