Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MASTER THREAD: USB drives that work with Sentry and TeslaCam

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
No issues with mine either. I had temp here go down to 10F/ -12C and it still works so far.
How about the high end? A car in the sun in 100+F/40C can get much hotter than the ambient air temperature, and the SSD needs to be operating at, say, 150F. I just looked on Samsung's site (Portable SSD T5 500GB (GOLD) Memory & Storage - MU-PA500G/WW | Samsung US) and I don't see any operating temperature specs.

Has anyone run this happily (or otherwise) in high heat?

Got the $90 Samsung T5 500GB SSD from Amazon, have used it for a couple of months now. Absolutely no issues so far, but we haven’t had the hot-sunny-day-for-a-black-car-in-the-sun temperatures that we will next Summer. Easy to format (at least on my iMac) into two 250GB partitions, one for Dashcam/Sentry, the other for music. All works without incident.

Hardest part is going through the videos, now that there are four per minute for every minute captured, one each for front/rear/left/right cameras. If my car isn’t damaged, I just delete the folder. So far, just a lot of deletes. Love the SSD.

Reactions: goletaspring
Hardest part is going through the videos, now that there are four per minute for every minute captured, one each for front/rear/left/right cameras. If my car isn’t damaged, I just delete the folder. So far, just a lot of deletes.
Yeah. There are only two reasons I know of for going through lots of Sentry videos:
  1. You discover some damage or theft and are seeking evidence.
  2. Your life is intensely boring.

Yeah. There are only two reasons I know of for going through lots of Sentry videos:
  1. You discover some damage or theft and are seeking evidence.
  2. Your life is intensely boring.
Actually, I do have one other use case. I still get phantom braking on v36.2.3 for no apparent reason I can discern. I’ve developed the habit of saving cam images when this happens, and I do go through them to try to figure out why this annoyance happens. So far, no joy. And I’m probably intensely boring.

• Funny
Reactions: tvad
I'm curious what the evidence is for this. I'm not arguing--I hope it's true!
The errors started right after a software update. They started for people that had been using USB thumb drives with no problems for many months to just a few weeks. Knightshade has proven numerous times that the ‘drive too slow’ error is erroneous for all but the cheapest garbage thumb drives due to the nature of how TeslaCam writes data. He also showed that there’s no appreciable difference between a thumb drive and the SSDs, especially regarding write speed. Also, right after a software update, people’s gear started functioning properly again.

Yup.

not only that we've had folks who own two Teslas, and they get the error in one car but not the other.... and at least one owner who explicitly tested by swapping storage devices between the two cars.

The failing car continued to fail, and the working car continued to work.

Despite them now having the opposite storage device in them that worked in the other car.

If it was an issue with the storage HW the problem would follow the storage hardware. It doesn't.

Actually, I do have one other use case. I still get phantom braking on v36.2.3 for no apparent reason I can discern. I’ve developed the habit of saving cam images when this happens, and I do go through them to try to figure out why this annoyance happens. So far, no joy. And I’m probably intensely boring.
True indeed. I was thinking only of Sentry videos, not ones when you're actually using the car. Sometimes those are just fun, too, like the time we drove by a hot air balloon.

Got the $90 Samsung T5 500GB SSD from Amazon, have used it for a couple of months now. Absolutely no issues so far, but we haven’t had the hot-sunny-day-for-a-black-car-in-the-sun temperatures that we will next Summer. Easy to format (at least on my iMac) into two 250GB partitions, one for Dashcam/Sentry, the other for music. All works without incident.

Hardest part is going through the videos, now that there are four per minute for every minute captured, one each for front/rear/left/right cameras. If my car isn’t damaged, I just delete the folder. So far, just a lot of deletes. Love the SSD.
Ordered! Thank you and everyone else for the reviews. My Samsung USB has been a hassle since v10.

Reactions: BBone
Just in case anyone is wondering, there are other ssd's out there that work as well as the T5, at least for our common application. For some reason the samsung is put on some kind of pedestal in recommendations for dashcam/music use, but there's no reason to be locked into that brand - if price is an issue, shop around, you might find a good deal on another similar brand, and have it work just as well.

• Informative
Reactions: SalisburySam
Not really, no.

The 4th camera too it from 1.5 MB/s up to... 2 MB/s of data being written.

Which is still 3-5 times slower than the typical cheap USB stick writes sustained... and ~30 times slower than higher end ones (that also still have problems reported) can do sustained writes.

This isn't a 4 camera 4k UHD recording system here.

Why not?

There's been numerous camera-related SW bugs since launch of dashcam they have fixed- no reason to think they won't eventually fix the latest ones... (and probably introduce new ones along the way too).

USB UserBenchmarks - 639 USB Flash Drives Compared

That's almost 650 different USB storage devices benchmarked.

If you stick to 64GB or larger (which is the minimum size you should be using at this point, and 128 or 256 would be a lot better) the lowest sustained write speeds are almost 10MB/s

Or about 5 times quicker than the Teslacam feature is actually writing.

Again- the fact that folks are having these issues across a slew of hardware- including some folks with the same hardware both having and not having the issue... and often having or not having it between software updates- all tells you this is not a hardware problem.

I suppose you can keep dropping money on random storage devices and hope whatever one works today still works next week.

I'm using a Samsung Fit Plus. Which has had 0 issues since Dashcam launch over a year ago. Including up through V10.

But others have had issues with that device. And others haven't.

Same for basically every device anybody has mentioned, going back to the start of the feature fall of last year.
Very storage device dependent from my experience. I've had mediocre experiences with USB storage sticks. And overwhelmingly good experience with the Samsung T5 SSDs on both a 2018 S and a 2019 X. YMMV but I've only read good things about the Samsung storage products working with Teslacam including your review of the Samsung Fit Plus.