Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MASTER THREAD: USB drives that work with Sentry and TeslaCam

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I too would love to hear what the knowledgeable folks have to say since I just went through this; the original Tesla USB stick worked fine for the first month (MYLR got in May) but then I started noticing it slowing down or not displaying the video when trying to play in the car. Got the Samsung T7 500GB; worked well but I could not get it to play video in the car. Played video on laptop just fine. Now switched to a Samsung Pro card 128GB with the sandisk reader and it seems to be working like OEM/as before. Before I return the SSD, I too am wondering if that is the best long term solution.
This is a great thread, thank you

My 2018 M3 started having usb issue after a software update ( I don't remember which one), since then I have had 3 mobile service guys to come to me and had 3 service center visit, still without a solution. The sentry logo is showing on my display but NOT the dashcam, my phone will also NOT charge, these are the solutions Tesla came with:
1- its the usb harness (replaced)
2- It's the rear usb harness (replaced)
3- It's your usb, if you buy the Tesla USB you will be OK ( purchased the 128 GB) I'm still having same problem
Today the mobile service guy told me new stuff, he says you shouldn't see the dashcam logo on the screen because Tesla doesn't want you to play around with it while driving, but when I come back to parked car and it shows
sentry mode event report" I want to know what happened, whats the green 'i' for? he says it's just to inform you some events happened.
Today on the way driving I honked to see if anything saves, i'm checking the Tesla USB now, nothing on there.

My 2018 M3 started having usb issue after a software update ( I don't remember which one), since then I have had 3 mobile service guys to come to me and had 3 service center visit, still without a solution. The sentry logo is showing on my display but NOT the dashcam, my phone will also NOT charge, these are the solutions Tesla came with:
1- its the usb harness (replaced)
2- It's the rear usb harness (replaced)
3- It's your usb, if you buy the Tesla USB you will be OK ( purchased the 128 GB) I'm still having same problem
Today the mobile service guy told me new stuff, he says you shouldn't see the dashcam logo on the screen because Tesla doesn't want you to play around with it while driving, but when I come back to parked car and it shows
sentry mode event report" I want to know what happened, whats the green 'i' for? he says it's just to inform you some events happened.
Today on the way driving I honked to see if anything saves, i'm checking the Tesla USB now, nothing on there.
Sentry is separate from the dashcam. If the dash cam icon does not show, it's not working. You should be able to press the icon and record without having to honk the horn.

https://www.tesla.com/sites/default/files/model_3_owners_manual_north_america_en.pdf

I presume you have formatted the drive?

There is a new update out that changes the behavior (enables auto saving), so hopefully that update has some bug fixes that might fix issues for people, but it sounds more like you may have some other issue.
Tesla releases big, new software update with Disney+, Car Wash Mode, hotspot, and more

• Informative
Reactions: Silicon Desert
Sentry is separate from the dashcam. If the dash cam icon does not show, it's not working. You should be able to press the icon and record without having to honk the horn.

https://www.tesla.com/sites/default/files/model_3_owners_manual_north_america_en.pdf

I presume you have formatted the drive?

There is a new update out that changes the behavior (enables auto saving), so hopefully that update has some bug fixes that might fix issues for people, but it sounds more like you may have some other issue.
Tesla releases big, new software update with Disney+, Car Wash Mode, hotspot, and more
Just talked to the mobile tech guy on the phone, he was saying most probably its the usb connection to the car computer which is loose and the computer need to be replaced. Got an appointment for 2 weeks from now.

Came across Youtubers using SanDisk 1TB Extreme Portable SSD ($157), Samsung 1TB T5 Portable SSD ($130), and Samsung 1TB T7 Portable SSD ($150). Is one of them clearly better than the other? Or is there a drive better than both of them?

The SanDisk drive looks like it might hold up better in a crash or flood.

How many hours/days of video can a 1TB drive hold? Likewise for the USB flash drive that comes with the car.

All of em are not only insane overkill for this purpose, they're overspending for it... and they're less capable of handling the wider range of in-car operating temps that either a quality USB key or a quality SD card can for a lot lower cost (and lower power consumption too).

As to the video- first we need to clarify if you understand how the dashcam feature works.

It only "keeps" the last 1 hour of video. Ever. it automatically overwrites anything older in normal use.

You can manually tell it "save the last 10 minutes" and it'll move that to a separate folder that does not get erased... but you can't use it like some folks use dashcams to record all of a 4 hour trip or something.... (well, I suppose you could hitting the "save" button every 10 minutes...).

For Sentry- sentry never records anything. All it does is ALSO move the last 10 minutes of dashcam recordings to a separate folder. These clips WILL get over-written, but only once the drive is nearly full.

Anyway as far as space... the drive that comes with new cars now is 128GB.

1 hour of video takes up about 7.2 GB.

So if you were to totally fill it with manually saved clips it'd hold roughly 17.77 hours on it.

Unless you plan to park it a lot with sentry on in places with a LOT of activity, 128GB is plenty of space, just clear it out as needed.

Reactions: nyxynyx
I've been using a sandisk extreme 250 gb ssd for 3 years with no issues. For just dashcam/sentry use 250gb is more than enough. You can find them for reasonable, competitive prices, especially if you find a sale. The temperature and power consumption issues that are sometimes raised are non-issues in real life.

The 128GB flash drive it comes with is fine. It holds many weeks' worth of recordings plus all the music you could ever (actually) want.

The SSD nonsense is just the internet being the internet, but it was partially justified by the flaw in earlier software that would stop recording when the drive was full. That's no longer the case.

I’m having weird problems with my usb. As advised by you all I got the sandisk reader/microsd endurance combo. It would require formatting every time the car was started and never record anything as far as I knew. Sometimes the drive wouldn’t even show as connected until I removed and replaced it. I took the drive to my home computer and it was also finicky about connecting as well. I’m hopeful it was a bad card or reader. I ordered a replacement through amazon and also the Samsung card to do some more testing. Will keep you all posted.

I’m having weird problems with my usb. As advised by you all I got the sandisk reader/microsd endurance combo. It would require formatting every time the car was started and never record anything as far as I knew. Sometimes the drive wouldn’t even show as connected until I removed and replaced it. I took the drive to my home computer and it was also finicky about connecting as well. I’m hopeful it was a bad card or reader. I ordered a replacement through amazon and also the Samsung card to do some more testing. Will keep you all posted.
Although it doesn't guarantee that you won't get a counterfeit (Amazon "borrows" third party stock if they run out at the location that is fulfilling your order), I hope you bought a "shipped and sold" by Amazon one and not one from a third party seller. That's what I hate about Amazon, too easy to get counterfeits, although their return policy makes up for it a bit (just do testing as soon as you get it, I use CrystalDiskMark to do speed testing, it must at least meet the minimum 30 MB/s spec in sequential writes).

Although it doesn't guarantee that you won't get a counterfeit (Amazon "borrows" third party stock if they run out at the location that is fulfilling your order), I hope you bought a "shipped and sold" by Amazon one and not one from a third party seller. That's what I hate about Amazon, too easy to get counterfeits, although their return policy makes up for it a bit (just do testing as soon as you get it, I use CrystalDiskMark to do speed testing, it must at least meet the minimum 30 MB/s spec in sequential writes).
Yes I did buy shipped/sold by Amazon. Returned both drive and reader and replaced with another, and the new pair is working. I suppose it could have been the card or the reader. I also got a Samsung 128GB endurance (they don't seem to make 256?) as a backup.

All of em are not only insane overkill for this purpose, they're overspending for it... and they're less capable of handling the wider range of in-car operating temps that either a quality USB key or a quality SD card can for a lot lower cost (and lower power consumption too).

As to the video- first we need to clarify if you understand how the dashcam feature works.

It only "keeps" the last 1 hour of video. Ever. it automatically overwrites anything older in normal use.

You can manually tell it "save the last 10 minutes" and it'll move that to a separate folder that does not get erased... but you can't use it like some folks use dashcams to record all of a 4 hour trip or something.... (well, I suppose you could hitting the "save" button every 10 minutes...).

For Sentry- sentry never records anything. All it does is ALSO move the last 10 minutes of dashcam recordings to a separate folder. These clips WILL get over-written, but only once the drive is nearly full.

Anyway as far as space... the drive that comes with new cars now is 128GB.

1 hour of video takes up about 7.2 GB.

So if you were to totally fill it with manually saved clips it'd hold roughly 17.77 hours on it.

Unless you plan to park it a lot with sentry on in places with a LOT of activity, 128GB is plenty of space, just clear it out as needed.
Work-around 1)
If you do a deep scan on Recuva or Stellar Photo Recovery you will see a week's worth of videos.
This perhaps came about because Switzerland did not want to approve Tesla about 3 years ago because their highway law does not allow taking multiple images whilst driving - so this limit was brought in to appease. But because an hour is ridiculous after a major event, few are in a fit state to react so promptly, M and Co arranged for a whole week to be scrambled and only available to the initiated.
This happened to me. I had a mugging on 17th of A assumed the hour limit was correct, but looked at the stick today, 26th A, did a deep scan and all my videos were avalible, perhaps not labelled correctly but there from 19th until 26th; unfortunately for me I needed the 17th A.
Work around 2) - Simply take out USB stick immediately after the event and then the last hour/week of videos stay intact as long as you like.

Work around 2) - Simply take out USB stick immediately after the event and then the last hour/week of videos stay intact as long as you like.
Yeah I've seen this happen where the delete doesn't happen until the person turns on the car, so yanking the drive before that happens sometimes works to retain footage from before the car shut down. I don't know if this works for those of us with the drive in the glovebox however, given to open the glovebox the car must be fully awake, and by then it'll have deleted footage.

Yeah I've seen this happen where the delete doesn't happen until the person turns on the car, so yanking the drive before that happens sometimes works to retain footage from before the car shut down. I don't know if this works for those of us with the drive in the glovebox however, given to open the glovebox the car must be fully awake, and by then it'll have deleted footage.
And if it is within a week of the event putting the dashcam USB Stick in laptop/computer and using Recuva with DEEP SCAN allows you to see all videos in past week instead of just the last hour.
Note there is a Musk clock not only deleting the videos, which are readily visible, after one hour but also another clock deleting "hidden" videos after one week. Motto, jank out dashcam USB stick if you are not sure.

Ladies and Gentlemen, I am still confused.
SanDisk reader+256G high-endurance microSD. Formatting with MiniTool Partitioning software on Windows 10 PC.
I want to have both Dashcam/Sentry and music files on the same USB media.
1. I need TWO partitions, right? One exFAT (=faster writing than FAT32) partition with a TeslaCam folder and one FAT32 partition for music files (because Tesla Media Player cannot read music files on an exFAT drive).
2. When I try to create two partitions (MiniTool Partitioning software) on my Windows PC, the first one is created OK but for the 2nd one I get a warning message that Windows CANNOT USE the second partition of PORTABLE media.
Should I simply create one big FAT32 partition with a TeslaCam folder plus music folders?
And would FAT32 formatting be slower, possibly creating dashcam write errors?
Tremblingly awaiting my Model 3 soon soon, kindly advise.

Ladies and Gentlemen, I am still confused.
SanDisk reader+256G high-endurance microSD. Formatting with MiniTool Partitioning software on Windows 10 PC.
I want to have both Dashcam/Sentry and music files on the same USB media.
1. I need TWO partitions, right? One exFAT (=faster writing than FAT32) partition with a TeslaCam folder and one FAT32 partition for music files (because Tesla Media Player cannot read music files on an exFAT drive).
2. When I try to create two partitions (MiniTool Partitioning software) on my Windows PC, the first one is created OK but for the 2nd one I get a warning message that Windows CANNOT USE the second partition of PORTABLE media.
Should I simply create one big FAT32 partition with a TeslaCam folder plus music folders?
And would FAT32 formatting be slower, possibly creating dashcam write errors?
Tremblingly awaiting my Model 3 soon soon, kindly advise.
There is a thread dedicated to your question where the latest posts describe how to do it:
[V9] How to Format USB into 2 Partitions for DashCam and Music [Windows]

The card may format a bit different than a stick though. Note given Tesla gives you a free stick with the car, you may also just use that for music (just get a USB-C to A adapter if you want to plug it outside, or get a hub if you want to leave it inside the glovebox)