Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MASTER THREAD: USB drives that work with Sentry and TeslaCam

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm looking for a 128gb micro sd card as I'm sure I read somewhere they are used in dashcams so don't have issues with being rewritten constantly.

Or

Obviously the sandisk says it's for dashcams. But then shows the 3 in the little u which I believe is a slower read write speed to the samsubg.

Many thanks
It's the opposite, U3 (UHS Speed Class 3) is faster than U1 (UHS Speed Class 1). U3 is equivalent to V30, and means minimum sequential write speeds of 30MB/s. U1 is the same as Class 10 or V10 and only guarantees a minimum sequential write speeds of 10MB/s. You can see a summary here of what all the symbols mean: Speed Class | SD Association

Okay, I've been using Anker 2 in 1 USB 3.0 SD Card Reader and after a certain update I've been getting USB Device Malfunction. Messing around i then got UI_a134 USB drive has no filesystem. Browsing around the web i found out that since using the microsd slot and having an empty sd card slot, it causes some type of error. Now having both slots used, i no longer have any error

• Informative
Reactions: stopcrazypp
Okay, I've been using Anker 2 in 1 USB 3.0 SD Card Reader and after a certain update I've been getting USB Device Malfunction. Messing around i then got UI_a134 USB drive has no filesystem. Browsing around the web i found out that since using the microsd slot and having an empty sd card slot, it causes some type of error. Now having both slots used, i no longer have any error
I have a 2 card sd card reader too (Although it's a Ugreen, not Anker) in my 2021 used in the glovebox and I haven't gotten errors, although maybe your experience can help others.

The USB saga for me did not end with reformatting drives, or buying new drives, though I did all of those things.

I just got a call back yesterday from Tesla service, that they cannot fix my USB issue.

They acknowledge that it doesn't work, and that it is not a hardware issue, despite telling me it was a hardware or USB drive issue for over a year.

They also acknowledge it is not unique to my M3 and that there is no way for me to follow up. I was literally told to set up another appointment n a few months maybe.

I am really low about this, and disappointed in Tesla at the moment. So if you have a USB that works, then drops out, then works again randomly you might have a similar unfixable issue.

Just a follow up on this. After updating from 2021.24.11 to 2021.36.5.1 over the weekend, I get the same UI_a134 error with my Ugreen dual card reader. I was able to get it to go away by using the microSD card slot (which is the first drive the reader presents) instead of the full sized SD card slot, but not sure if it will be long term (haven't waited a deep sleep cycle yet).

Reactions: shaundidrake
The USB saga for me did not end with reformatting drives, or buying new drives, though I did all of those things.

I just got a call back yesterday from Tesla service, that they cannot fix my USB issue.

They acknowledge that it doesn't work, and that it is not a hardware issue, despite telling me it was a hardware or USB drive issue for over a year.

They also acknowledge it is not unique to my M3 and that there is no way for me to follow up.

Is the car still under warranty?

If you have in writing the car has a defect the MFG is unwilling or unable to fix while under warranty you can file a lemon law return of the vehicle under CA law.

That said, it can't be "unfixable" given it works fine in most cars. It just might be more of a fix than they want to do.

Thought I'd add my 2 cents worth from my experience. The original Tesla-branded thumb drive kept getting disconnected and needed to be removed, then reinserted. So I decided to get a combo SD/MicroSD reader, and use the full-sized SD for music, and the microSD for sentry/webcam. I had problems though. I couldn't format the dual reader in the car, and the USB music sucks so bad it's not worth using, so I ended up getting a single microSD in a single reader.

It's a little overkill, perhaps, but I do that because I may want to use it in the future for something that requires faster speed.

I got a Kingston reader from Amazon: Kingston MobileLite Plus USB 3.2 microSDHC/SDXC UHS-II Card Reader (MLPM)
paired with a Sandisk microSD card: SanDisk 256GB High Endurance Video microSDXC Card with Adapter for Dash Cam and Home Monitoring systems - C10, U3, V30, 4K UHD, Micro SD Card - SDSQQN

This formats fine from the car, taking only a couple of seconds. I reformat whenever I think about it, and I have not needed to remove it for months.

I think the dual combo readers can't be reformatted in the car. Perhaps there is some configuration of reader that can, but I only tried one or two, and had no luck.

I think the dual combo readers can't be reformatted in the car. Perhaps there is some configuration of reader that can, but I only tried one or two, and had no luck.
That's my experience too with my Ugreen dual slot reader. Tesla seems to be expecting only a single drive per port, and having two seems to make the format feature not work. However you can format in a computer and create the TeslaCam folder and it works fine.

Thought I'd add my 2 cents worth from my experience. The original Tesla-branded thumb drive kept getting disconnected and needed to be removed, then reinserted. So I decided to get a combo SD/MicroSD reader, and use the full-sized SD for music, and the microSD for sentry/webcam. I had problems though. I couldn't format the dual reader in the car, and the USB music sucks so bad it's not worth using, so I ended up getting a single microSD in a single reader.

It's a little overkill, perhaps, but I do that because I may want to use it in the future for something that requires faster speed.

I got a Kingston reader from Amazon: Kingston MobileLite Plus USB 3.2 microSDHC/SDXC UHS-II Card Reader (MLPM)
paired with a Sandisk microSD card: SanDisk 256GB High Endurance Video microSDXC Card with Adapter for Dash Cam and Home Monitoring systems - C10, U3, V30, 4K UHD, Micro SD Card - SDSQQN

This formats fine from the car, taking only a couple of seconds. I reformat whenever I think about it, and I have not needed to remove it for months.

I found that spending 10 bucks on a single microSD card reader was the easiest solution, because it seems like it requires reformatting fairly often, and it's so easy to do it in the car. But perhaps there's something about my setup that requires reformatting more than others.

Just a follow up on this. After updating from 2021.24.11 to 2021.36.5.1 over the weekend, I get the same UI_a134 error with my Ugreen dual card reader. I was able to get it to go away by using the microSD card slot (which is the first drive the reader presents) instead of the full sized SD card slot, but not sure if it will be long term (haven't waited a deep sleep cycle yet).

We're using a UGreen dual card reader here on both of our cars and have only used the microSD slot. Not working since October on my car and I think September for my husband's after downloading an update. I put in a request to Service just now and will see what they reply back with. Asked just for status on firmware update unless a service appt is required for something else they found out. With so many people experiencing this on all kinds of devices and different Tesla models doubt that will be the case.

BTW after seeing many posts on this subject, read that people even using Tesla's own USB drive are experiencing this issue and that's a single drive but not working.

Last edited:
hello all,

I have a 2020 model 3 and currently using T7 SSD from Samsung. I think it is over kill since I don't use most of memory.

I am thinking using a cheaper hard drive and convert Samsung T7 SSD to my laptop backup hard drive.

What other cheaper hard drive do you guys for your model 3?

Alternatively, you can partition the Samsung T7 SSD and use one partition for dashcam/Sentry and the other partition for music. This is how I have mine setup, I have a T5 which is similar. I have a 1TB so I put about 300 GB for the dashcam and the rest for music so about a 30/70 split.

It is a bit tricky to partition though, let me know if you need help on that.

If you’re looking for a cheap option, use a USB drive or microSD card with a USB adapter, which is what most people do.
My USB adapter only has a single slot for a microSD card and I get the USB device malfunction message all the time.

Alternatively, you can partition the Samsung T7 SSD and use one partition for dashcam/Sentry and the other partition for music. This is how I have mine setup, I have a T5 which is similar. I have a 1TB so I put about 300 GB for the dashcam and the rest for music so about a 30/70 split.

It is a bit tricky to partition though, let me know if you need help on that.

Actually.... I wouldn't mind the help, as I've picked up a 500GB T7 to use specifically for that. Likely 200G dashcam, 40/60 split. :)

Actually.... I wouldn't mind the help, as I've picked up a 500GB T7 to use specifically for that. Likely 200G dashcam, 40/60 split. :)

I'm assuming you know your way around a computer as this is not a straight beginner's task.

Note: If you have any data on your Samsung SSD drive make sure to back it up before proceeding since it will be erased.

Steps
1) You will need to download GParted and install it on a CD or USB drive, go to GParted -- Live CD/USB/PXE/HD
2) Connect your Samsung SSD to your computer.
3) Restart your computer and boot up GParted from your CD or USB drive. You can reference GParted -- GParted Live Manual on going through the setup.
4) Once you are on the GParted desktop, double click on the GParted desktop icon to launch the application.
5) Identify your Samsung SSD drive and you should be able to either right click or go to the menu on top under Partition. You will need to switch the partition table to GPT since its currently MBR.
6) After switching the parition table you should be able to partition your hard drive to the way you like. I suggest formating your partitions in exFAT since it's now supported on the latest Tesla software.

I'm assuming you know your way around a computer as this is not a straight beginner's task.

Note: If you have any data on your Samsung SSD drive make sure to back it up before proceeding since it will be erased.

Steps
1) You will need to download GParted and install it on a CD or USB drive, go to GParted -- Live CD/USB/PXE/HD
2) Connect your Samsung SSD to your computer.
3) Restart your computer and boot up GParted from your CD or USB drive. You can reference GParted -- GParted Live Manual on going through the setup.
4) Once you are on the GParted desktop, double click on the GParted desktop icon to launch the application.
5) Identify your Samsung SSD drive and you should be able to either right click or go to the menu on top under Partition. You will need to switch the partition table to GPT since its currently MBR.
6) After switching the parition table you should be able to partition your hard drive to the way you like. I suggest formating your partitions in exFAT since it's now supported on the latest Tesla software.
Why not just use the Windows built in tool?

Press “Windows +R” and enter “diskmgmt.msc”,you will see all the disks in your computer.
you can partition from there.

Find the drive want on the lower part of the screen
right click then click Delete volume
Then right click it again then click New Simple volume
then follow the steps and create a partition the size you want, then repeat it again in the used portion for the balance.
then format

Or am I missing a reason to use a special software?