Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MASTER THREAD: V 2019.40.1.1 170kW charging, Neural Net for Auto Wipers, Auto Lane Change quicker

Did you get 2019.40 or higher?

• Yes

Votes: 152 30.1%
  • No

Votes: 353 69.9%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This morning was my first opportunity to try out the new Auto Wipers since installing this firmware version. Finally, after years of having the Auto Wipers be essentially unusable on my Teslas, they work! This was in very light to light rain; at first they weren’t wiping early enough once my windshield had small drops all over it, a couple of times I initiated a manual wipe, and then after 5 minutes they started wiping on their own. By the end of my 30 minute drive they were wiping almost like I would. Yay! Will be trying them out again on my way home today.

The AI Skynet wipers seem really bad at night, I guess they are going to have a lot of issues training a vision-based wiper system when you can't see the rain because you know it's night.

During the day they work fine, but at night they will just straight up stop wiping at all except when you drive under a street light or something where the car can "see" the rain.

Reactions: ftlum and Hank42
For the first time in a year and a half, I got the dreaded "USB is too slow" error after getting the update. Anyone else? I always reboot after updates. The general consensus from earlier reports is that it's just a software glitch, but I hate to lose my Sentry mode. I've got a 128G SD card that has been working perfectly up until now.

For the first time in a year and a half, I got the dreaded "USB is too slow" error after getting the update. Anyone else? I always reboot after updates. The general consensus from earlier reports is that it's just a software glitch, but I hate to lose my Sentry mode. I've got a 128G SD card that has been working perfectly up until now.

Do you routinely clean off old footage? flash memory does slow down (sometimes significantly) as it gets in the 75-90% full range or more.

I clean my Samsung USB key off (also 128GB) about once every 3 months or so and have never had the too slow issue

(dashcam also hasn't been out quite a year and a half yet FWIW, launched October 2018 with V9 software)

Yesterday I drove for hours in rain ranging from light to heavy. I left the wipers on Auto the entire time. I was pleased to see they provided sufficient wiping to be safe over 98% of the time (my estimate). Occasionally I pressed the silver button to get a single wipe when they didn’t come on as quickly as I would like. Occasionally they wiped at a higher rate than I felt was necessary. But overall they did well.

Everyone si talking about how great the wipers are. I don't see it. They are still terrible! And why do we need a neural net dedicated to this? Seems like overkill. Maybe I need HW 3.0? LOL
How hard can this be?

Who else is doing it better without a physical rain sensor?

The fact Tesla doesn't use one is why it needs a neural net. They're trying to do this entirely with vision.

Agreed. I would like a much less aggressive "Auto" as well.
I concur! This update is the first time I’ve hd to turn the wipers off auto. It’s way too aggressive with the wiping.

the logical answer to this for me is just to have multiple settings to the auto wipers (like my BMW had). “Psychotic, normal, and wet” sound like good names.

It must depend on local conditions and/or personal preferences because this is the first time the auto function has even remotely worked for me. Frankly, I find it hard to believe anyone could safely drive with the amount of rain I used to see on the windshield before the wipers would activate, although I did notice that they seemed to work better on a freshly washed/waxed windshield (more beading?), so you guys might be driving shinier cars than me? In fact, it was so bad that I used to think my wife was right when she'd say it was Elon's way of irritating me into paying for an FSD upgrade so it wouldn't matter as much if I couldn't see for 20% of my driving.

Fingers crossed they don't try to please all the people all the time, and, instead, start allowing individual 'auto' settings to be picked (based on info derived from the neural net).

There’s no way a one sized approach for auto wipers will work. We all have different preferences.

My wipers barely turn on at night. They don’t come on in light mist, yet come on when there’s no rain now. There’s also no easy way for the car to learn the wipers are too aggressive.

We need manual control (with more than 3 settings) without having to mess with the touchscreen. I’d prefer controls at the stalk (voice commands don’t register well for me).

The wipers are better in the daytime, but are very far from being fixed.

Reactions: Hank42
..We need manual control (with more than 3 settings) without having to mess with the touchscreen. I’d prefer controls at the stalk (voice commands don’t register well for me)....

Without bringing up the polarizing debate over the distraction of the touchscreen vs manual controls, this is one point I feel justifies a little attention.

Rain accumulating on the windshield while driving reduces driver attention a significant amount already, and "futzing" with the touchscreen to swipe and get the wipers to turn on or off or change speed is makes the attention situation that much worse. It's already bad that we can't see because of the rain, and now we're looking back and for the between the touch screen and the wipers to see if mashing the touchscreen settings is having the desired effect. Unlike the auto headlights, and high-beams, which work so well I don't even think about it ever wanting a switch for it, I do prefer the stalk for control of the wipers.

When I find myself in a rainy panic situation where the auto-wipe is just not responsive, I default to pressing the button on the stalk to engage the wipers. That buys me enough time to pull over and screw with the touchscreen settings. Neat side-effect: I have the cleanest windshield as a result :)

Without bringing up the polarizing debate over the distraction of the touchscreen vs manual controls, this is one point I feel justifies a little attention.

Rain accumulating on the windshield while driving reduces driver attention a significant amount already, and "futzing" with the touchscreen to swipe and get the wipers to turn on or off or change speed is makes the attention situation that much worse. It's already bad that we can't see because of the rain, and now we're looking back and for the between the touch screen and the wipers to see if mashing the touchscreen settings is having the desired effect. Unlike the auto headlights, and high-beams, which work so well I don't even think about it ever wanting a switch for it, I do prefer the stalk for control of the wipers.

When I find myself in a rainy panic situation where the auto-wipe is just not responsive, I default to pressing the button on the stalk to engage the wipers. That buys me enough time to pull over and screw with the touchscreen settings. Neat side-effect: I have the cleanest windshield as a result :)
By “pull over and screw with the touch screen settings”, are you saying you pull over to press one button on the touchscreen wiper card that pops up automatically after every push of the stalk button? Do you pull over every time you need to press a single button on the screen?

I just realized something based on your last sentence. Are you aware of the “half click” position you can press and hold on the stalk button to run the wipers without spraying fluid? Apologies if I’m misunderstanding.

By “pull over and screw with the touch screen settings”, are you saying you pull over to press one button on the touchscreen wiper card that pops up automatically after every push of the stalk button? Do you pull over every time you need to press a single button on the screen?

No, that would be silly! :) But it is hard to figure out which setting within the card has the most effect to clear up the window while driving - it's challenging to look out the window and the touchscreen at the same time - not impossible though - unless you only have one eye.

Reactions: silenteski