Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks, thats the one thing I was worried about was wheel width. I'm keeping the stock aero's as my winter set.

I'll probably go with 245, the 235 stock michelins look stretched to me. I just don't like anything about the stock wheel and tire setup.
I have Sottozero 3s for my winter tires
I do prefer the slight wider look of 245’s but you will see a range hit.
I'm using Sottozero 3s in 245/45 for the winter and this is my third winter on them. My experience to date has been that if there's any range hit due to the tires versus the stock MXM4s, it's not measurable in normal use. Either the Sottozero 3s are actually more efficient than the MXM4s, which seems unlikely, or going up one size on the tires makes no effective difference on range, at least outside the laboratory.

P.S. I probably wouldn't notice a 1% hit on range, but I think I'd notice a 2% difference, and I'd definitely notice a loss of 3% or more.

Reactions: navguy12
I have Sottozero 3s for my winter tires

I'm using Sottozero 3s in 245/45 for the winter and this is my third winter on them. My experience to date has been that if there's any range hit due to the tires versus the stock MXM4s, it's not measurable in normal use. Either the Sottozero 3s are actually more efficient than the MXM4s, which seems unlikely, or going up one size on the tires makes no effective difference on range, at least outside the laboratory.

P.S. I probably wouldn't notice a 1% hit on range, but I think I'd notice a 2% difference, and I'd definitely notice a loss of 3% or more.

Good info thanks. While I'm not overly concerned with range since I charge free at work, I don't want a somewhat significant hit >5% while taking a cold weather hit.

Good info thanks. While I'm not overly concerned with range since I charge free at work, I don't want a somewhat significant hit >5% while taking a cold weather hit.
The cold weather hit isn't too bad if you have the car warmed up before you go while still connected to the charger. Also, short drives take a bigger hit than longer drives, but if you're only going 15 or 20 miles and take a 30% range hit, it doesn't matter. On longer drives in cold weather, the worst I've experienced was about a 15% hit when the temperature was between 0 and 10 degrees Farenheit for the day.

What are the best options for 18" wheels for a Model 3 Performance with Performance upgrade? I used to have a set of 18" T-Sportline but it was stolen from my garage. Hence I'm in the market for another set of winter rims but curious to see if they are better/cheaper options available. Thanks!

What are the best options for 18" wheels for a Model 3 Performance with Performance upgrade? I used to have a set of 18" T-Sportline but it was stolen from my garage. Hence I'm in the market for another set of winter rims but curious to see if they are better/cheaper options available. Thanks!

just installed the Tesla specific sottozero 3’s with Martian wheels. Loving them.

Glad to hear. I'm also on a lookout for a new winter set. I have a set of TSportine in 20" but would like to go 18" for winter. Not sure if I should stick to TSportline or explore other options.
Highly highly recommend the Martians.

B2F3875D-09B4-4E48-ABA2-6E4D60A4CA10.jpeg

Hello Forum, I'm new here and just picked up my SR+ on Saturday. Thankfully it was a beautiful day to hammer out 300km back home on the all season factory tires. I had a new set of winters sitting in the garage at home waiting for the car to arrive. Having read a lot of threads about wheel selection I felt like I had a good understanding of what sizes I needed, but I found a great deal on Flow One F4 wheels on tirerack. The problem is they only had the rear wheels which are 18X9 ET45. I bought a square set of these with some studded 235/45/18 General Altimax tires. The extra width on this offset goes almost all to the inside of the wheel, so I was prepared to use some spacers if there was contact with the upright. Thankfully it bolted up perfectly, although there is very little space between the wheel and the upright. I'd guess about 4mm of room now, down from a finger width on the stock wheels. Another nice thing about the wheels is that there are machined out spots between the stud holes that easily clear the brake rotor retaining bolt.

This is my first set of studded tires and I was not prepared for how loud they are. It seems like a mistake, but I guess I'll find out when the weather turns bad again. With the Tesla there's no engine noise to cover up the rumble of the studs either!

acVuhqlh.jpg

If you live in an area where you need studded tires, then you probably also are in an area where salt and sand and other chemicals are put down on the road. Get some mudflaps or PPF your rockers and lower doors.

never wet on the front helps as well to prevent the snow/ice from sticking.

• Informative
Reactions: navguy12
Think so? Should I even bother with winter tires then? I don't really have a place to store extra tires. Also mine is a RWD not AWD, never driven RWD before.
The stock Michelin Primacy MXM4s are not very good in snow in my experience but I have no idea what the snow and ice conditions are where you live. Where I live in Colorado, the stock tires pretty much suck and winter tires are much, much better. There are quite a few days during the winter where I probably wouldn't be able to get out of my neighborhood on the stock tires. You might consider something like the Michelin Cross Climate tires; they've been getting very good reviews and one of my neighbors has them and likes them.