Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Model 3 19” Gemini Wheel and Winter Tire Package

Anyone know if these are the same wheels as Model Y base wheels? Funny that it says fits performance model only

edit: whoops nevermind found the answer, they are not
Definitely different from the Model Y wheels.

I can confirm that they work just fine on all Model 3s since I'm running a set of the Model 3 Gemini wheels on my LR AWD. The wheel centers don't engage to the full depth of the hubs, but there's more than enough engagement to center the wheels properly on non-performance Model 3s. There's also 5mm less offset, 35 vs 40mm, but I've noticed no negative impact from that. Many people run much lower offsets on aftermarket wheels.

I know there are multiple threads that I can’t figure out how to post to.
I don’t expect a new conversation on this.

I just put on Conti pure contacts. My M3 now drives like a Subaru on wet snowy icy roads.
I wish I knew how good my Tesla would drive with these tires or I would have replaced the worthless Michelin’s on day 1; they only lasted 18,000 miles anyway.

(moderator note: moved to master thread on winter driving)

Last edited by a moderator:
Three winter driving issues (not related to tires/wheels!):

1. My brake pads regularly freeze to the calipers during inclement weather after a few hours of not driving. A sharp and probably unhealthy “crack” frees the linings when I drive off again. On ICE cars, the rule on freezing days: leave in gear with hand brake off.
Is there a setting in the Model 3 to also leave the parking brake off (it seems to automatically apply the brake when I exit)?

2. Wiper options are insufficient in inclement weather: every change takes my eyes off the wintry, icy road and my right hand fumbling through menus.
Even one second of screen distraction is too long on ice, when I want activation NOW. “Auto” in snow or ice rain is erratic, Level One intermittent never comes on at quite the right moment, and toggling between off and any other choice is distracting, as the wiper window quickly closes after each choice, and I have to go back to the main menu. There HAS to be a better system!

3. Is Slip Start Tesla’s only way to turn Stability Control OFF? Or is it also off in track mode?
My brake pads regularly freeze to the calipers during inclement weather after a few hours of not driving. A sharp and probably unhealthy “crack” frees the linings when I drive off again. ≈
Is there a setting in the Model 3 to also leave the parking brake off?

Last edited:
Reactions: SummerlinChiro
Yes, aware of it on my M3, except: that button also activates the window washer, and it's almost impossible to activate wipe without wash. And wash in freezing rain = visual obstruction. It would already be one step ahead if the wiper menu would stay put on the screen until I delete it. That way, I am one step closer activating a change, and one step further removed from visual distraction.

Reactions: SummerlinChiro
Yes, aware of it on my M3, except: that button also activates the window washer, and it's almost impossible to activate wipe without wash. And wash in freezing rain = visual obstruction. It would already be one step ahead if the wiper menu would stay put on the screen until I delete it. That way, I am one step closer activating a change, and one step further removed from visual distraction.
Interesting, I wonder if the mechanical dynamics of that button have somehow changed since my early build from May 2018.

I've never had an unintended wash, ever.

My button has a very firm mid point stop, infact to get a wash I have to really force it beyond the mid point stop to get a wash.

I have a March 2020 build, and I have also never had an unintended wash.

Interesting, I wonder if the mechanical dynamics of that button have somehow changed since my early build from May 2018.

I've never had an unintended wash, ever.

My button has a very firm mid point stop, infact to get a wash I have to really force it beyond the mid point stop to get a wash.

Reactions: navguy12
6BCF3F8C-A79B-430E-AC0D-761F1AE28DE6.jpeg
879DD75C-8BA2-4E07-8899-0AAC73D805E0.jpeg
I figure this will help someone when it comes to deciding on winter tires.

I live in the Central Valley of California and in this part of California it doesn’t snow and generally the coldest temps in winter will be in the 30’s overnight with the rare hard freeze which can bring the temperature in the 20’s for a few morning hours. That only seems to happen once every few winters and is not typical. Obviously I love the stock 20” PS4s that come on my 2020 Model 3 Performance with their insane dry grip but I figure they’re probably unsafe in snow or ice. Being that I wanted to take road trips in the winter time such as Tahoe, Mammoth, or Washington and Oregon I decided to purchase a set of 18” wheels with more suitable tires for snow. I didn’t want dedicated snow tires such as Michelin X-Ice since two or three winter road trips for perhaps a week at a time at most per year did not warrant investing in an all out winter tire.

I ended up deciding the best situation for me was the Michelin Cross Climate+. This weekend I drove to and from Mammoth Lakes for the weekend. My initial drive on Friday had me drive on 88 eastbound from the valley into the Sierras and after about 5000 feet the light rain turned into snow. It’s a winding road through the mountains and daytime temps seem to be in the high 20’s. After arriving Friday night in Mammoth the temps dipped to about 9 degrees overnight and it snowed a few inches. I parked the car outside on an inclined driveway while in Mammoth.

Driving on snowy and icy surfaces including hills, and hairpin mountain roads was just phenomenal with these tires. They just bite in and the tires inspire tremendous confidence in ice or snow anywhere I went in Mammoth and the surrounding areas. With overnight temps in the single digits and low teens the tires maintained their composure regardless of the very cold temps.

When I got back home the weather was sunny and about 67 degrees. At lower elevations driving on hills and winding roads the tires give great feedback and hold their own when it comes to dry grip in milder weather.

I would wholeheartedly recommend these to anyone debating on what all season or winter tires to get. I’m sure those that live in harsh winter climates will benefit from a dedicated winter tire but I feel even those of us that will only use occasionally in the snow and want a tire for truly all seasons, this may fit the bill perfectly.

I'm in a similar situation here in Seattle where the weather is always mild but wet. Not only do we almost never get snow here but winter tires usually perform poorly in wet conditions, which is not good in the PNW. I go up to the mountains a lot for skiing and while I don't feel uncomfortable on my drives up, I have a tough time in the packed snow parking lots at Stevens Pass with my stock 19" Contis and RWD.

Does anyone have experience w/ a 3PMS rated All Weather tire (CrossClimate2, Quatrac Pro, etc.) w/ RWD on snow? I have gotten stuck a few times in the parking lot, even with a Slip Start and Auto Sox and am trying to figure out if tires will fix my issue or if my fundamental issue is lack of AWD. I know that tires are the most important thing so I'm hoping that will solve my issue until I can upgrade to a LR Y AWD.

Note: I knew the stock All Seasons wouldn't be great but these tire rack comparisons really validate how bad they are in the snow and ice.
tire compare.PNG

Last edited:
Does anyone know who can swap out tires? I bought some Michellin X-Ice tires and want to put them on my 18" aeros rims. Is there a preferred place to do this work? I didn't want to be locked into the minimal OEM choices so I'm getting these setup as my winter tires and then in the spring will buy something better overall.
My experience with tire people has me dealing with Discount Tires. Best prices, best service and always happy to make you happy.

My experience with tire people has me dealing with Discount Tires. Best prices, best service and always happy to make you happy.
I'm in Quebec and found that Gordon tire is ok for this. The issue with all tire places I find is that you are better off watching them do the work just in case they forget to do something like double check after the tires are tightened. There can be a mad rush to get on to the next car and some do not particularly love their profession.

Reactions: navguy12
I'm in a similar situation here in Seattle where the weather is always mild but wet. Not only do we almost never get snow here but winter tires usually perform poorly in wet conditions, which is not good in the PNW. I go up to the mountains a lot for skiing and while I don't feel uncomfortable on my drives up, I have a tough time in the packed snow parking lots at Stevens Pass with my stock 19" Contis and RWD.

Does anyone have experience w/ a 3PMS rated All Weather tire (CrossClimate2, Quatrac Pro, etc.) w/ RWD on snow? I have gotten stuck a few times in the parking lot, even with a Slip Start and Auto Sox and am trying to figure out if tires will fix my issue or if my fundamental issue is lack of AWD. I know that tires are the most important thing so I'm hoping that will solve my issue until I can upgrade to a LR Y AWD.

Note: I knew the stock All Seasons wouldn't be great but these tire rack comparisons really validate how bad they are in the snow and ice.View attachment 639031
I have a 2021 SR+ Model 3 and here in Quebec I have no issues at all with my winters (MichelinX). We get deep snow and I can tell you that winters will 100% solve your issues.

I have 2021 Model 3 LR (19" option) and ordered winter tires Michelin 255/45R19 and rims Black stain Replika241 19" through CanadaWheels. CanadaWheels configuration showing this is will fit for Model3 LR, but some sites say no. Any you advise will be very appreciated.

I have 2021 Model 3 LR (19" option) and ordered winter tires Michelin 255/45R19 and rims Black stain Replika241 19" through CanadaWheels. CanadaWheels configuration showing this is will fit for Model3 LR, but some sites say no. Any you advise will be very appreciated.
Are you sure that you're finding tires for a Model 3 and not a Model Y? That's the stock size tire for a Model Y. For a Model 3, that's 20mm wider than stock and 43mm larger diameter. I don't know if it would fit or not, but it's got to be awfully tight.