Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Winter issues, frozen windows, door locks, seals, etc.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have noticed moisture on the window when I roll it down and back up even days after I wash the car or it rains. I often wonder just how much moisture / water is sitting in the door panel. Agreed, I have never seen this in any other car.

Exactly. That is the problem and is because the felt strip on the outside is too large (to tall) and retains water. Model X does the same thing. Other cars have a brush or very narrow strip of felt. So water drains through before it freezes.

I keep my windows down in the garage now if I know that felt strip got wet.

Not all of us are lucky enough to drive our prized possessions all year round without the risk of salt/rust, low temps (-10 degrees) and 3ft of snow.

I will be storing my Tesla Model 3 (P3D) over the winter while I get a chance to drive my 2nd baby, Jeep Wrangler Unlimited. I thought I'd share my winter prep steps for those that are thinking about doing the same.

Please let me know what steps you recommend for long term Tesla storage (about 4-5 months)?

Steps:

- Inflate tires to 42psi
- Wash and wax car
- Place cover on car (while parked in covered garage)
- Leave charger plugged in and set to 55-60% charging rate
- Lift tires off cold cement floor (I use thick styrofoam under each tire)
- Place rodent repellant (sonic sensor, traps or Irish spring :) ) in the trunk/frunk and under the car
- clean, vacuum interior
- bi/weekly check-in for updates, unplanned issues, charging rate

Anything I've missed?

P.S. You can't convince me against winter storing, as I've done this for the past 20 year between my winter and summer vehicles. If you've never experience the damage done by crazy piles of salt, brine mixture on city street, and crazy winter drivers consider yourself lucky. (Toronto,Ontario,Canada driver)
Not all of us are lucky enough to drive our prized possessions all year round without the risk of salt/rust, low temps (-10 degrees) and 3ft of snow.

I will be storing my Tesla Model 3 (P3D) over the winter while I get a chance to drive my 2nd baby, Jeep Wrangler Unlimited. I thought I'd share my winter prep steps for those that are thinking about doing the same.

Please let me know what steps you recommend for long term Tesla storage (about 4-5 months)?

Steps:

- Inflate tires to 42psi
- Wash and wax car
- Place cover on car (while parked in covered garage)
- Leave charger plugged in and set to 55-60% charging rate
- Lift tires off cold cement floor (I use thick styrofoam under each tire)
- Place rodent repellant (sonic sensor, traps or Irish spring :) ) in the trunk/frunk and under the car
- clean, vacuum interior
- bi/weekly check-in for updates, unplanned issues, charging rate

Anything I've missed?

P.S. You can't convince me against winter storing, as I've done this for the past 20 year between my winter and summer vehicles. If you've never experience the damage done by crazy piles of salt, brine mixture on city street, and crazy winter drivers consider yourself lucky. (Toronto,Ontario,Canada driver)

Hi,
in addition to the above, I roll my car in the garage once a week so my tires wont be sitting on the same spot all the time

• Helpful
Reactions: willow_hiller
I read on Electrek about Tesla providing free mud flaps to Canadian M3 owners because they had reported problematic
paint damage around wheel wells. Does anyone from New England know if Tesla will do the same for owners in Vermont/New England?
Thanks in advance.

I don’t, and I couldn’t find a link. So therefore I will gladly hijack this thread and tell you that I applied 3M silicone paste dielectric grease in an extremely thin layer at the top of my window and at the base where the window meets the external seal.

last ice storm hobbled window clearance and bollixed up mirror folding...badly. I couldn’t use the driver’s side mirror on a long slow (tense) drive home on slick roads.

For now have disabled auto mirror folding in anticipation of the next 48 hours of ice. May try a micro application of silicone on the mirror hinge/swivel.

Is this what they mean? So the windows won’t freeze to the gaskets?! I sure hope not. I use 3M Silicone spray for this on both cars for several seasons and have never had a problem. Don’t think you need the grease, I think lubing the gaskets themselves with the spray will prevent sticking.

(The grease may be a good idea for the mirrors but the item specifically discusses the windows.)

It wasn’t clear to me from Tesla’s description if this ‘treatment’ was for this (sticking windows) or something else. It takes literally two minutes to treat the whole car with the spray and a rag each winter. Getting an SC appt for this seems insane.

If you don’t know what we’re talking about from Tesla’s POV, look in your app inbox. There should be a new list of things they can do. The last one is this. Seems nuts if it’s applying silicone spray to gaskets when the SCs are so backed up.

Edit: here’s the 3M spray I use, much less gooey than grease:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000PJED72/

Last edited:
This is what I use. Super simple to apply. Search for gummi pflege on Amazon. Make sure it’s the winter version.
A28308ED-A844-4A1D-AFA7-7F18F6DA501A.jpeg

I read on Electrek about Tesla providing free mud flaps to Canadian M3 owners because they had reported problematic
paint damage around wheel wells. Does anyone from New England know if Tesla will do the same for owners in Vermont/New England?
Thanks in advance.
I doubt it, only heard about it for Canada. The flaps we use are only about $40 and easy to install.

https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B07V36S77Y/

• Helpful
I have been driving the M3 SR, for about 5 months now. So far so good. Here are a few points that I would like to make in order that the uptake, not only of the M3 or any other Teslas, but for EV's in general. In rural Nova Scotia, (Canada for my American friends) we have 4 seasons. Got through my first summer and fall pretty normal no major concerns. We get cold weather here. Which all of you are away of makes the range calculations tricky. Not an inssue really for me now, but not a great experience when I have passengers on a long run (ie., managing all devices of the car). I am disappointed when I see Superchargers being installed everywhere but in my end of the province. There is 1 SC in Nova Scotia. 5 in New Brunswick. There is 1 Level III in the area I live. My other beef is trying to stay warm. I am seeking a covering for the window roof. I am curious to know if it would make a difference on cabin comfort. So far the Pirellis are working out. Only 1 snowfall to date with any accumulation. Need a Chademo adapter too. However can't order off the webpage. Back ordered. chat soon. Black Stallion.

The Gummi Pfledge roll on seems like a good idea. How can we tell if it’s the “winter” version?

Do people use the spray type lubes by spraying on a cloth and then wiping the rubber with the sprayed cloth?

Hopefully there is little chance that these lubes could somehow be transferred to the interior (White) by casual contact?

thanks

Hi all,

Any recommendations for winter weather accessories for the model3? Like a particular snow brush? Trying to make sure that I don’t accidentally scratch the glass or paint while dusting the snow off the car.

Thanks!
I've been using this one. The head folds flat, so it lives behind the front seats on the floor all winter.