Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Winter issues, frozen windows, door locks, seals, etc.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So "gummi Pflege Stift" vs the "3inone rv care window and track dry lube" which one is safer for the window seals and glass? I read on some other forums that silicone lubricant can cause damage after it dries out. How do these 2 work out? TIA!

So "gummi Pflege Stift" vs the "3inone rv care window and track dry lube" which one is safer for the window seals and glass? I read on some other forums that silicone lubricant can cause damage after it dries out. How do these 2 work out? TIA!

I used Gummi Pfledge last winter and it worked well. No issues with my tinted windows. I need to re-apply it now as we just had our 1st sub 30 degree temps and my windows were sticking.

• Informative
Reactions: willow_hiller
Im from canada and its hitting roughly 5-10 degrees farenheit at night. The handles definitely freeze and the windows definitely stick.

The Pre-conditioning the car at least 30 min before definitely gets the job done. no frozen handles or windows and also avoids having to blast the heater while driving which saves a lot of range.

Hope that helps!

I’m in Alaska and had no issues last winter with frozen windows. All you have to do is pre heat, 10-15 min most of the time before your ready to go and you’ll be good. Only had one issue with frozen door handles and that was a day it was 28F and raining, ended up with 1/2” of ice coating on everything, nothing could have stopped that.

It's been -5C here for a few days now, and I must say that I'm struggling quite a bit with the car in these temperatures. I'm not looking forward to -15C.
Today I started the defrost function (from the car, as I can't connect to the car with the app). After about 5 minutes on running on full blast I could connect to it from my app and I started the defrost function we got in 2019.32 (or was it the one before?).
15 minutes of this and the windows are still stuck, so if I open a door the window does not recline. I drove my daughter to kindergarden (6-7 minute ride), had the defrost mode on while I went inside with her (5-ish minutes more), got back to the car, windows are still immovable. Drove home, still no reaction, sat there for some minutes with heater on full blast, sweating like a madman, and finally I got the windows to react.

Is that normal? How are you other Scandianvians and Canadians dealing with this?

Bonus story: I once had a Fiat Uno 1986 model where the doors wouldn't close when it got below -20C, I used a piece of rope to tie the doors together.

• Funny
Reactions: ATC@LWSK
Today I started the defrost function (from the car, as I can't connect to the car with the app).

After about 5 minutes on running on full blast I could connect to it from my app
and I started the defrost function we got in 2019.32 (or was it the one before?).

15 minutes of this and the windows are still stuck, so if I open a door the window does not recline.
May be you should try using a Cordless Hair Dryer

• Funny
Reactions: Watts_Up
It's been -5C here for a few days now, and I must say that I'm struggling quite a bit with the car in these temperatures. I'm not looking forward to -15C.
Today I started the defrost function (from the car, as I can't connect to the car with the app). After about 5 minutes on running on full blast I could connect to it from my app and I started the defrost function we got in 2019.32 (or was it the one before?).
15 minutes of this and the windows are still stuck, so if I open a door the window does not recline. I drove my daughter to kindergarden (6-7 minute ride), had the defrost mode on while I went inside with her (5-ish minutes more), got back to the car, windows are still immovable. Drove home, still no reaction, sat there for some minutes with heater on full blast, sweating like a madman, and finally I got the windows to react.

Is that normal? How are you other Scandianvians and Canadians dealing with this?

Bonus story: I once had a Fiat Uno 1986 model where the doors wouldn't close when it got below -20C, I used a piece of rope to tie the doors together.

The full defrost did it's job this morning (see attached pic); just give it a good 15-20minutes to melt the ice (if frozen). Every surface of the car was wet and the snow brushed off. All windows moved as they should. Temperatures were -3C outside; -10C if counting wind chill.

If the car is plugged in, start defrosting earlier, give it a good 20-30minutes see if that helps.

Attachments

• 20191202_055954.jpg
    20191202_055954.jpg
    273.4 KB · Views: 167
The full defrost did it's job this morning (see attached pic); just give it a good 15-20minutes to melt the ice (if frozen). Every surface of the car was wet and the snow brushed off. All windows moved as they should. Temperatures were -3C outside; -10C if counting wind chill.

If the car is plugged in, start defrosting earlier, give it a good 20-30minutes see if that helps.
Will try that. I had a funny occurrence today. I talked to roadside assistance, and they managed to get my car online. I started the heating to see if that worked, but I got an error message. Then I couldn't connect again. They are going to escalate and whatever, that's not the interesting part.
Even though I got an error, it actually started heating the car. When the car came back online some hours later I got a notification on my phone about the heating being on for a long time.
So today I've driven 17km, and used around 200km on heating the car for no purpose :D

Saw a video someone posted on here (watch below). Try this in morning before heading out. On your phone set climate temp all the way to High. Apart from the increased heat it will turn your car’s fan to high as well and actually send warm air into your door and out the handles. From video also appears to do same for charge port. I’ll link to video and you’ll be able to see air flow thru door handles.

It would also be smart to have your “face/torso vents” split to direct some of the warm air towards the windows. Since you can’t reposition vents in app, do this before you park the car for the night. I’m not sure but seems like settings I do after car is in Park are not kept so guess that makes some sense although don’t think of car being off until I exit and screen goes to black.

I lived in mid-west for a time and remember having frozen car windows and door handles, plus locks. Also recall needing to tie my door handles together inside to keep the doors closed while driving as the closing mechanism was frozen and I had to get to work. Boy those were the days! Had forgotten all about that until reading @Marius A's post above.

Last edited: