Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

michelin x-ice xi3 vs nokian hakkapeliitta r3. Which one would you use for winter driving rwd?

• michelin x-ice xi3

Votes: 32 40.5%
  • nokian hakkapeliitta r3

Votes: 47 59.5%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm debating the Nokian Hakka R3s (I want but wonder if worth investment), Michelin X-Ice, and General Altimax Arctics (cost and might go with all season altimax for next year anyway)
Hakka’s are the best winter tire. I’ve been running them on all our cars for a long time. My buddy owns the largest indipendent tire shop up here. He always says there is a reason he sells Hakka’s 4 to 1 to the next closest competitor (blizzark).

Hakka’s are the best winter tire. I’ve been running them on all our cars for a long time. My buddy owns the largest indipendent tire shop up here. He always says there is a reason he sells Hakka’s 4 to 1 to the next closest competitor (blizzark).

That makes sense in Alaska. Down in the states where roads are hazardous for 5% of the Winter other tires might be more practical.

There is no best Summer Tire, No Best All Season, No Best Winter all depends on the application and what the drivers preferences are.

For the real "Master Thread" on Snows see Which Snows and Why Poll?

Running the Tesla OEM tyres in winter conditions is a fool's errand.

I also decided to buy a set of wheels rather than pay mounting fees twice a year. It took some shopping but I ended up paying ~ $1000 for my 4 wheels + Michelin X-ice set.
Do you mind sharing the wheel set you bought. I just switched to All season Michelin A/S+ but they're horrendous There's a constant buzzing or humming sound even at crawling speeds like 10mph. Wanting to switch to smaller wheels forever or finding better tires for winter. This sucks :(

That makes sense in Alaska. Down in the states where roads are hazardous for 5% of the Winter other tires might be more practical.

There is no best Summer Tire, No Best All Season, No Best Winter all depends on the application and what the drivers preferences are.

For the real "Master Thread" on Snows see Which Snows and Why Poll?
Agreed. I’ll edit to Hakka’s are the best for extreme winter conditions. I grew up in Tahoe but when I was in college and lived in the lowlands drove up and down the mountain I ran all weathers.

I bought a second set of OEM Aero wheels with TPMS from Tesla, and Michelin X-Ice tires from TireRack.

Second set of wheels so I don't have to have tires remounted twice a year - and I can do the switch myself.

Michelin X-Ice because they are excellent in snow and ice -
  • I've had them on my Audi A4 for about 8 years and have never had a problem in bad weather.
  • This winter on my Model3 we had some snow and ice - didn't have a slip (while other vehicles slipping and sliding).
How did you buy just the wheels and TPMS from Tesla? Noticing they're only selling rims+tires.

I bought a second set of OEM Aero wheels with TPMS from Tesla, and Michelin X-Ice tires from TireRack.

Second set of wheels so I don't have to have tires remounted twice a year - and I can do the switch myself.

Michelin X-Ice because they are excellent in snow and ice -
  • I've had them on my Audi A4 for about 8 years and have never had a problem in bad weather.
  • This winter on my Model3 we had some snow and ice - didn't have a slip (while other vehicles slipping and sliding).
Just put the winter set on last week - already had a good 6" of snow - no problems.
Also noted that with the Michelin X-Ice:
  • Energy usage is about the same as the stock all-season at the same temperature
  • noise - sound is different that all-season, but doesn't seem to be any louder.

• Informative
Reactions: ChrisP
7BC56BF2-8D8A-4E26-917D-32B959B52EEB.jpeg
Just put the winter set on last week - already had a good 6" of snow - no problems.
Also noted that with the Michelin X-Ice:
  • Energy usage is about the same as the stock all-season at the same temperature
  • noise - sound is different that all-season, but doesn't seem to be any louder.

I just installed a set of Xice as well. I agree, sound is different, but not louder.
The ride seems a little softer. Even at the same pressure.
Incidentally, I got 60,500 km’s / 37592 miles out of my stock all season tires. The wear bars were just hit, so I could have gone a little further if winter didn’t roll around.

Here’s what the stock looked like after 60,500 km’s / 37,592 miles. I keep the tires inflated to about 47 PSI

Reactions: KenC
We just swapped out the stock 19" tires for the Hakkapeliitta r3 on our Dual Motor M3. What a difference! We've already gotten 25" of snow in Colorado, so plenty of before-and-after use on ice and snow. The traction on the brand new stock tires was so bad, I actually felt like we didn't have AWD.

Reactions: mswlogo
I installed Continental Winter Contact 7s today on the 18" aeros. I averaged 155 Wh/km (250 Wh/mile) on an hour long drive, at a speed of mostly 115 km/hr (70 mph).

Regen was available immediately after the swap. My battery was already warm due to the drive to the shop.

At Highway speeds, a humming noise can be heard with the tires. But with music on, you can barely notice the difference in noise compared to the stock tires.

- 6 deg C (43 deg F)
- dry highway
- climate control set to Manual, fan speed 1, set at 21 deg C (70 deg F)
- carrying my summer tires and rims in the back

• Helpful
Reactions: Nomad2006
My Tesla Model 3 Standard Plus has the rims:
size: 18 x 8
Bolt pattern: 5 x 114.3
Offset: 35-40
Tire: 235/45R 18

From a previous vehicle (Honda Clarity 2018), I have a set of snow tires on the rims:
Offset: 40-55

The only difference is the offset.

Can I use my snow tires with the rims on Tesla Model 3 Standard Plus?

From a previous vehicle (Honda Clarity 2018), I have a set of snow tires on the rims:

You don't have stock wheels on your SR? The stock wheels have offset of 40 (35 is for the Performance). And the stock wheels are 8.5 inches wide, not 8.

Addressing ONLY the clearance issue (this is not the only potential issue):
Going to 55 (not sure why you have a range) is going to make it tighter to the steering knuckle thing (in the front), pictured below. But for the specific dimensions you provide it should be ok. I think there is about 19-20mm clearance there stock so it'll probably be closer to 10mm clearance once you go to a higher offset (which would move the inner edge of the rim in by the offset difference of 15mm, but since the wheel is narrower by 12.7mm than stock that'll buy you an additional ~6mm).

The good thing is that you can test fit the wheels to see whether they clear everywhere else (brake calipers, etc.). Specific wheel designs could cause problems if they are strange.

Other important issues:
The hub bore is important!!! If it's not big enough on the Clarity wheels, they won't fit at all. If it's too large you have to be careful when you are putting on the lug nuts to make sure it's hub-centric (you have to tighten the lug nuts carefully and evenly to keep it stud centric).

The other issue is the diameter of the lug bolts - I assume the Clarity has wide lug bolts due to its weight, but if it doesn't, then the bolts on the Model 3 won't fit through. And compatibility of the lug nut design of course. Not all nuts use the same design though the taper is the most common on passenger vehicles I think.

The other concern is the tires - you do have to be careful that they are rated appropriately for the vehicle weight. But the Clarity looks like it is a monstrous porker of a vehicle, so probably you are fine there since the SR is quite a bit lighter.

Anyway, not enough information to really know; I haven't looked up the details of the Clarity lug bolts and wheel design.

IMG_5175.jpg

Last edited:

As stated above, original wheels are 8,5x18 ET 40.

Offset is never a range. If it is 55, you can mount a spacer of 15 mm, but I’d rather go for a different wheel then.

And center bore?

Me, I would invest in wheels that really fit. 8 instead of 8,5 should not be a problem, so it might fit, but there is some information missing here.

I feel like as soon as I order a set of winter tires some rebates will be announced. Does anyone happen to know if historically Bridgestone, Michelin, or Pirelli have run winter rebates and roughly when they started? I'm pretty much a toss up with WS90, xIce 3, or Sottozero 3's.... so whichever offers a $50 to $100 rebate I'll probably buy :p