Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

michelin x-ice xi3 vs nokian hakkapeliitta r3. Which one would you use for winter driving rwd?

• michelin x-ice xi3

Votes: 32 40.5%
  • nokian hakkapeliitta r3

Votes: 47 59.5%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is your M3 RWD? It would be nice to know it was so secure on the slick roads with the winter tires. I am a bit nervous about driving a RWD in the winter!

I have a LR RWD and that too was my profound concern, especially since I live in a very hilly area of central MA. I put X-Ices on the stock Aeros (new wheels in the Spring for the stock rubber) and came away super impressed! I even stopped on a hill and started off without it slipping at all. I would even go out on a limb and say it performs better than my previous FWD ICE cars that I ran winter tires on. I had a couple RWD cars back in the 70s and 80s and the Model 3 is nothing like them on snow and ice.

Neither. Go with Conti VikingContact 7. It beat the other two in most recent Scandinavian tests, and is cheaper.

Was able to test out Vikings in snow and ice. Very good and snow and slush, we had a good dump of snow recently and I had to drive today. Pulling out of my alley garage was no problem, no slipping or loss of traction. A Mercedes pulled into the same alley so I pulled over into a low drift to let them pass. They were likely on snow tires and got stuck; a quick 3 point turn and I drove out the other end of the alley.

On side streets there was some shifting as the snow was being pushed out of the way, but I was quite impressed, I was always in control and felt confident in stopping.

I haven't browsed the prior pages but I've had experience with two sets of winter tires on my 3 thus far. Context is of skiing regularly at the front range resorts around Denver.

1st set was Hankook Winter i'Cept Evo 2. Terrible. Decent longitudinal traction but poor lateral and bad breakaway behavior. Only marginally better than the stock all-seasons on snow and ice.

2nd set was/is Nokian Hakka R3. I should have gone for these in the first place. A little louder and definitely squishier feeling than the Hankooks but they are predictable and grippier. I now have Nokians on all of my vehicles and shall not stray from them in the future.

Reactions: coleAK and TomB985
Am I correct that the X-ice Xi3 only come in 245/40/R19? The OEM 19s are 235/40/R19. Would the 245 Xi3s fit without any issues?

Looks like the new Michelin X-Ice Snow are the upgrade from the Xi3 and they come in 235. I doubt anyone has tested them out yet (aside from press reviewers) but one would imagine they could only be an improvement on the Xi3s, I would hope...

Am I correct that the X-ice Xi3 only come in 245/40/R19? The OEM 19s are 235/40/R19. Would the 245 Xi3s fit without any issues?

Looks like the new Michelin X-Ice Snow are the upgrade from the Xi3 and they come in 235. I doubt anyone has tested them out yet (aside from press reviewers) but one would imagine they could only be an improvement on the Xi3s, I would hope...
I had Xi3 in the OEM 235/18 size. You just might not be able to find them now as the Snow replaced Xi3.

For the Xi3, the 235/40/R18 size is available, but 235/40/R19 size that @Face_Disguise is asking about does not exist. With that said, going from 235/40/R19 to 245/40/R19 should be perfectly fine. See, for example, Limited replacement tire options for the 19s?

Precisely. Thanks for the thread link! Seems that general consensus is that the difference between 235 and 245 is so minimal as to basically not matter.

Neither. Go with Conti VikingContact 7. It beat the other two in most recent Scandinavian tests, and is cheaper.

mine just showed up!

45648BB8-3CFD-4C93-A4C4-A25B36121CAD.jpeg
264A1B13-DEFA-4C97-A890-C7E7CE41881D.jpeg

Reactions: KenC
I'm sorry if this has been answered already but I'm not finding the exact answer... I'm looking at adding the Michelin Pilot Alpin PA4's in size 19" at 235/40R19. I see the load rating is 92V which has a lower load rating than what Tesla suggests. However, I see that for the 20" wheels like for the Pilot Sport 4S in 20", they come standard from Tesla but also have a lower load rating than OEM specs ask for.

Am I ok adding these 235/40R19 Alpin PA4's at 92V?

I'm sorry if this has been answered already but I'm not finding the exact answer... I'm looking at adding the Michelin Pilot Alpin PA4's in size 19" at 235/40R19. I see the load rating is 92V which has a lower load rating than what Tesla suggests. However, I see that for the 20" wheels like for the Pilot Sport 4S in 20", they come standard from Tesla but also have a lower load rating than OEM specs ask for.

The stock 20” MPS4S tires are 92 load rated. You’ll be fine.

92 have a weight rate of 1389 lbs per tire so 5586 lbs total for 4. if you have a LR weight is listed as ~4040 lbs. so unless you are going to carry more then ~1500 lbs of people+stuff you will be ok.

First post here. We have a 2020 Model 3 Long Range (loving it) and are preparing for our first Ottawa winter. I did a bit of research and got the impression that the Tesla stock Pirellis for winter are not ideal for the more extreme conditions we can get here. I ended up getting Yokohama Winter V905. It is a bit of an unusual choice and have no idea how they will turn out. So far they seem fine - they handle nicely and are pretty quiet. But the temperature is freakishly up to 20 degrees Celsius today and for the next days, so I am certainly not go to be able to test them in winter conditions just yet.