TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Master threads for software versions?

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by PoitNarf, Jul 18, 2018.

?

Should there be a master thread for each major software release?

1. Yeah, sounds like a good idea

11 vote(s)
    73.3%
  2. No, I like having to read through 8 different threads about the same software version

2 vote(s)
    13.3%
  3. Eh, I don’t really care

2 vote(s)
    13.3%
  1. PoitNarf

PoitNarf The Clown Prince of Crime

Does anyone else think it would be useful to have a master thread for each major software version release? This is how it’s done in the Tesla subreddit and I think it’s a good idea. The thread could be stickied while the software is in active deployment and replaced with a thread on the next major version when that is released. So for example there could be a thread for “Model 3 Software 2018.24.x” which would cover all of the subversions of 2018.24. Once 2018.26 sees deployment to Model 3’s it could then replace the 2018.24 thread and so on. It would help everyone keep track of new features, bug fixes, new bugs and the overall deployment of that particular version. What do you all think?

• Like x 1
    • Funny x 1
  2. PoitNarf

PoitNarf The Clown Prince of Crime

Well this thread certainly saw less action than I was expecting, heh. @ohmman what do you think?

3. BOBEDIGITL

BOBEDIGITL Member

Would make things a lot easier to follow that's for sure.

4. d21mike

d21mike Member

Maybe this thread should be in the Model S Forum :)

5. jrmnet

jrmnet Member

I completely agree with you. For now I bounce over to reddit when I have version related questions. Those should all be sticky posts somewhere for each version, with the top message in each detailing the changes.

6. ohmman

ohmman Maximum Plaid Member

In Model S, we’ve had major release threads. It seems reasonable to do the same here. Should require minor moderation (!!) if it is done properly.

We always titled them “Firmware X.X” and should do the same here. If someone starts a new thread on the same release, report it and moderation staff will merge it.

• Like x 1
  7. Runt8

Runt8 Active Member

How about a sub-forum just for software versions? Then each major release thread could remain sticky, with random discussions below (or, alternatively, only allow a single thread for each major release and remove the ability for anyone but moderators to make new threads; not sure what capabilities you have).