Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Matching an inventory would bump the price?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ordered my MYLP back in Apr. The EDD shows late June but still no VIN yet. I've already lost the trust to the system.

My SA called me today that there's an exact same car. Because of the buyer's finical situation they couldn't take it. I was very happy until I heard that if I took this car instead, the price would match the current price, which is $1,500 more than what I paid.

Ouch! The system sounds so buggy.

The specs are exactly the same? I thought they would just match it to your existing order and youd keep your pricing if it truly is the exact specs. That’s some bs. This whole process is infuriating me lately lol
That was my expectation too buy my SA told me it would jump as he did it a lot of times in the system. He couldn't guarantee that the price wouldn't change... I was so frustrated.

Two possibilities would be ethical:

#1 Sell the car at the previous purchasers purchase price (probably lower than your price since they reserved before recent price increases)
#2 Sell the car (with exact same specs as your reservation) for your reservation price.

Tesla choses unethical option #3

#3 Sell the car at the current higher price, making more money than if the original buyer completed the purchase and more money than they would make selling it to you at your reservation price. Oh, and since the previous buyer backed out they keep his deposit AND the delivery fee while charging you a new delivery fee.

Keith

I was in the similar situation, i.e. lost faith in EDD estimates after ordering in early May. When Tesla dumped bunch of demo cars in the beginning of June I found a demo with 3k miles on it and called my SA to switch my order.
Instead he magically found brand new car with induction wheels + tow(the 2 options i didn't pick) and asked if I wanted it instead. I said OK and he moved my ordered to that car and I didn't incur a price increase. Base price didn't increase, I did have to pay for wheels + tow package of course

I was in the similar situation, i.e. lost faith in EDD estimates after ordering in early May. When Tesla dumped bunch of demo cars in the beginning of June I found a demo with 3k miles on it and called my SA to switch my order.
Instead he magically found brand new car with induction wheels + tow(the 2 options i didn't pick) and asked if I wanted it instead. I said OK and he moved my ordered to that car and I didn't incur a price increase. Base price didn't increase, I did have to pay for wheels + tow package of course
I had the same experience, although the SA warned me that the price might increase, the base did not.