Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Matching LR AWD efficiency in P3D+

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Last year bought a P3D+ and havent thought so much about economy in terms of Wh/km . Last month bought a LR AWD with 18” aero wheels and drove across Germany with speeds over 130 kmh very often. Wow this car is so efficient compared with my P3D+, I averaged 172 Wh/km where my P3D+ would easily average 220 Wh/km with same driving pattern.

In hope to gain some efficiency, I ditched the 20” and bought some 19” lightweight wheels with Michelin ps4 but ... still takes at least 30Wh/km more even when I drive like a grandma.

Any suggestions how to make the P3D+ matching the efficiency of LR AWD with aerowheels?

Not just wheel size...the tires make a big difference. The 18s come with low rolling resistance tires that are great for range, garbage for handling. The PS4s is the complete opposite of that so its a classic case of can't have your cake and eat it too.

Not just wheel size...the tires make a big difference. The 18s come with low rolling resistance tires that are great for range, garbage for handling. The PS4s is the complete opposite of that so its a classic case of can't have your cake and eat it too.

I have taken the stock 18" wheels and tires out on the track and it is hilariously bad. They scream when taking a corner at any speed!

I know that some people have fit the 18" aero wheels and tires using only some wheel spacers, which will make a big improvement to your efficiency still. 19" lightweight wheels help, but if they don't have a smooth face like the aero's they will not help you much.

I put 18" aero on my performance. Did not need to add spacers because the new versions of the 18" wheels from Tesla came machined to account for the hub lip, but I did need to grind the rear calipers.
See Will 18" Aero wheel fit a car with Performance big brakes?

I put Continental AllSeasonContact tires on the 18" aeros and plan to use these for mild winters.

I did a 130 km/h range test in Germany and consumption vs. the 20" performance wheels with PS4S by around 7%. Not an apples to apples comparison because of different tires.

The wheels don't matter a whole lot. It's primarily dictated by the tires. The PS4S is not a good choice for range (though good at most everything else). If you want improved range, buy a low rolling resistance tire. Just remember tires are always a compromise.

How about the gemini wheels? Would that be able to help this person out in this situation?

<The following is a guess based on what I know, if any corrections please correct!>

If you get the ones for the Model 3, it would be just fine and it would probably help due to the aero design. ($3500 for the package - I didn't see them standalone - Model 3 19” Gemini Wheel and Winter Tire Package) These are 8.5" presumably with 35mm offset and are presumably machined for the hub lip since they are for the 3P+. But then you're also stuck with more expensive 19" tires which may not have optimized rolling resistance.

The ones for the Model Y would require fitting carefully, since they are 9.5" wide and they have a 45mm offset. Both those things work against clearance (~12.5mm + 10mm clearance reduction I think). I don't know whether they have accommodations for the Model 3 hub lip.

You want a 35mm offset on the 3P+, so that means you'd need to run a 5mm spacer at least. I think 10mm probably can't get away with due to the lug length. With 5mm, you'd have to be careful about clearances to the upper control arm. It would probably clear, but I'm not sure.

I don't know whether there are any other major deal breakers here. I'm sure it's been covered somewhere already.

And you'd have 9.5" wide tires, which would defeat the purpose of having low rolling resistance.

So I think picking up Model Y Gemini wheels for cheap is pointless. Have to get the Model 3 Gemini.

The wheels don't matter a whole lot. It's primarily dictated by the tires.

I agree that tires matter a lot, especially for every day mixed use (city and freeway), but I believe that for freeway-only driving (road trips) the aero of the wheels probably makes a decent difference as @MountainPass said. That being said, the relative contribution is...who knows. People do get a couple % efficiency improvement (dependent on exact speed) by running aeros at freeway speeds, from what I understand. That could be significant and possibly even just as important as tires, for high speed travel. Since the force required to overcome tire losses is constant while the force to overcome aero losses increases with the square of speed (power required is the cube of course, but we care about force).

As mentioned you need efficient tires. Sport or summer tires aren’t that.

Please let me know if you find a silver bullet! I’ve got the MXM4’s and would love to find something that performs well at efficiency but handles better.