Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Matching Wood Center Console Wrap

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have been looking for a center console wrap that matches the strip on the dash and as I have a vinyl cutter I thought I'd try to find the matching vinyl/PVC to cut my own using the files provided by Kenriko on Github. Some of the better looking kits were in the $100 range and I didn't want to spend that.

Here is the PVC I ended up getting and it is a perfect match to me. It is thicker than vinyl with a great wood grain texture (almost more texture than the original dash panel).
71VVnLAcKYL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

I transferred the files into the Silhouette program and had it cut the first batch of pieces. I tried installing a couple times and realized they are designed to wrap around and be tucked under the ends and sides of most of the pieces. This would work well with the thinner stretchier vinyl most kits use but the PVC doesn't tuck or wrap as well. Back to the drawing board. I took some measurements and resized the pieces accordingly and think I ended up with an easy to install, great look. You will notice it doesn't completely wrap around the cup holders, down to the brushed silver, that again is due to the thickness. I am more than pleased with the results. What do you guys think? I have some extra vinyl so I could cut the rest and sell to anybody who is interested.

View media item 121272View media item 121273View media item 121274View media item 121275
Again, thanks to Kenriko for providing the files online.

Reactions: adayley
Sorry, it’s in an album in the Media section. Not sure why they aren’t showing. Does this work?

Attachments

• 594AB5D4-C2D4-4A89-9AF2-4F6B4FC2C5EF.jpeg
    594AB5D4-C2D4-4A89-9AF2-4F6B4FC2C5EF.jpeg
    272.7 KB · Views: 680
  • 2DE049FD-75D0-46D2-B99B-42B649E41AC8.jpeg
    2DE049FD-75D0-46D2-B99B-42B649E41AC8.jpeg
    291.9 KB · Views: 379
  • 18C749EA-70BE-4941-85A6-AC28C8246912.jpeg
    18C749EA-70BE-4941-85A6-AC28C8246912.jpeg
    450.7 KB · Views: 375
  • A71D1116-B965-4599-BC26-13325B62F6A4.jpeg
    A71D1116-B965-4599-BC26-13325B62F6A4.jpeg
    295.5 KB · Views: 377
It does appear to match. Frankly, I think the singular strip of wood across the dash looks a bit silly and this helps to "even things out a bit." Even more confusing is the use of faux wood at all in such a modern design. I'm probably going to wrap the wood strip in a material that will blend together with the rest of the dash...maybe a matte carbon fiber look.

But for folks that like wood, your solution seems to fit the bill.

Best,

I took some measurements and resized the pieces accordingly and think I ended up with an easy to install, great look. You will notice it doesn't completely wrap around the cup holders, down to the brushed silver, that again is due to the thickness. I am more than pleased with the results. What do you guys think?

Again, thanks to Kenriko for providing the files online.

I think it looks great. Do not mind the gap around the cup holders. Would you mind sharing your modified files? :)

Even more confusing is the use of faux wood at all in such a modern design.

Perhaps you are referring to the console wrap material, but just to be sure, the dash is real wood veneer. There are some videos of woodworkers sanding and re-staining it a different color, usually darker.

Did you use a wet application? That is what I did with the RPM Tesla kit and it was fairly easy. Yours looks good! I would send pics, but mine is a long obsolete gen 1 kit. There are pictures in another thread,

I did not do wet. Not sure if the PVC adhesive works that way. It is fairly easy to peel up and reposition a few times while still maintaining stickiness and since it is a thicker material it doesn’t get misshapen when doing that. It also aids in bubble removal when you can just peel back to the bubble then slowly smooth while laying the wrap down.

I think it looks great. Do not mind the gap around the cup holders. Would you mind sharing your modified files? :)

I would not mind at all. Just need to find an easy way to share. Any suggestions?

@Mrbrock, great job here, and thanks for sharing. I really like the wood trim vs. others since the 3 already has this. I wonder what this would look like with the grain going longitudinally instead of laterally.

Taptes has a wood kit that is perpendicular to the dash grain. Looks great on its own but when you see it with the dash it just clashes way too much for me. But I did kinda steel the way their kit goes around the cup holders. Didn’t mind that part of the look. If they had offered parallel grain to the dash I probably would have just bought that. Does anyone know if it is textured like real wood?
4_388fcdf8-bbe2-4436-a7bb-99fe5621946a.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: mrau and PJFW8
mrbrock23/Tesla-Files

I have uploaded the Silhouette Studio cut files here. The only piece I haven't tested is the very top piece above the phone cover. The last one I did was too small so I adjusted the size but didn't reprint. If someone wants a complete set I will have the ability to cut an extra of that to test before finalizing that size.

If you would like them in a different format, please let me know which and I will see what I can export from Silhouette Studio.

Reactions: mrau and remlemasi
Mr Brock,

Definitely interested in getting more information about the PVC Vinyl you found or buying a set if you still have the material available. My MY is expected to be delivered in Aug/Sept time frame and I'm definitely going wood grain on the center console.

I was looking at the Telsa Bros and RPMTesla versions and was shocked at the premium they are wanting over other wraps.

==
Michael