Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Math on driving faster than you can charge

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm trying to come up with a formula for the most ideal speed to drive to minimize charging times. For example, if you were plugging into 110V and only gaining 3 miles/hour - it would make sense to slow down and save as much range as possible. Obviously if your next stop is a SC - then speed wouldn't be as big of a factor.

I'm having a hard time figuring out the formula/math. Any of you geniuses know the formula for that?

Thanks!

1) Create an equation that describes the charging time for any starting SoC and desired final SoC. There are some charging curves that have been posted. Charging is faster at lower SoC's, so it's a non-trivial curve matching exercise.

2) Create an equation the describes the energy usage (for various conditions?) at various travel speeds, for the car of interest. I've seen less info about this online, though Tesla's Model S page has a nice "calculator" for some simple conditions. Elevation changes, temperature, wind speed, car configuration and settings all contribute to energy usage, among others.

3) Combine the two equations to describe the total trip time.

EVTripPlanner.com does a good job of this.
Another thread:
How to save a lot of time on long trips

Reactions: Manzacoty