Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Matrix Headlights Brightness Issue

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I took delivery of a shiny new 2022 MYP in June and went on a road trip thru the Upper Peninsula of Michigan a couple weeks ago. One thing I experienced a lot was having oncoming cars flash their brights at me *thinking* my brights were on. Apparently, the Matrix Headlights are so bright that the "low" beams appear too bright to oncoming cars.
This mainly happened on two-lane roads and rarely on divided highways. Have any of all y'alls experienced this before?

I am going to have Tesla check the alignment of my low beams because I must have annoyed at least 50 cars in one evening.

Has anyone who's got a 2022 with Matrix headlights from Fremont know the number of clicks from factory to all the way down (or up)? I got recalibration mixed up with "reset to level" when it actually recalibrates to the current position. I lost count of the clicks. While I find time and space to do the wall procedure, I thought it would be good to know the clicks as a temporary solution. Thank you.

Upvote 0
I am from Kalamazoo and have taken drives all over Michigan in a 2022 MYP. I also have a Honda with an all LED head/taillight setup as well. In areas with less……..higher end cars (rural being a great example), I am more likely to see people flashing their headlights (at both the Honda and the Tesla). What is strange is how people don’t seem to notice the fog lights are on; vehicles never operate with their high beams + fog lights.

I attribute the issue to peoples lack of familiarity with the more advanced headlight systems out there. We all know the brands that push the envelope here; Audi, Mercedes-Benz, Tesla, and BMW.

After a while, people learn to not stare at the headlights.

• Informative
Reactions: GOVA
Upvote 0
Has anyone who's got a 2022 with Matrix headlights from Fremont know the number of clicks from factory to all the way down (or up)? I got recalibration mixed up with "reset to level" when it actually recalibrates to the current position. I lost count of the clicks. While I find time and space to do the wall procedure, I thought it would be good to know the clicks as a temporary solution. Thank you.
I'm curious about this as well.

To add on to this conversation, when I select the right headlight for adjustment on my 22 MYP, nothing happens when I turn the dial up and down, is this how it normally functions?

Upvote 0
I took delivery of a shiny new 2022 MYP in June and went on a road trip thru the Upper Peninsula of Michigan a couple weeks ago. One thing I experienced a lot was having oncoming cars flash their brights at me *thinking* my brights were on. Apparently, the Matrix Headlights are so bright that the "low" beams appear too bright to oncoming cars.
This mainly happened on two-lane roads and rarely on divided highways. Have any of all y'alls experienced this before?

I am going to have Tesla check the alignment of my low beams because I must have annoyed at least 50 cars in one evening.
I'm having the same issue in VA, I'm glad to see the suggestions about adjusting the aim point.

Upvote 0