Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Matrix headlights - finally???

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Massive clickbait as per from that website.

However, the fact that Tesla is now adding these advanced headlights to the Model X suggests that software support could be coming soon. At the very least, it indicates that Tesla remains committed to matrix headlights and plans to develop software support for the technology.
Why does it suggest that? One could have made the exact same statement when they were launched on Model 3s in Q1 2021.

Tesla are committed to parts consolidation. One "global" headlight that can manufactured and installed on all cars worldwide, and be reprogrammed for left or right hand drive driving, etc is what they care about.

The fact there has been ZERO development on adaptive (matrix) headlights in over 2 years "suggests" they don't give a toss about intelligent functionality and there is nothing at all whatsoever suggesting that by fitting them to new X's that this changes that.

Why does it suggest that? One could have made the exact same statement when they were launched on Model 3s in Q1 2021.

Tesla are committed to parts consolidation. One "global" headlight that can manufactured and installed on all cars worldwide, and be reprogrammed for left or right hand drive driving, etc is what they care about.

The fact there has been ZERO development on adaptive (matrix) headlights in over 2 years "suggests" they don't give a toss about intelligent functionality and there is nothing at all whatsoever suggesting that by fitting them to new X's that this changes that.

I won't be holding my breath, but would agree with the article that introducing them to the X is at least suggestive of an intention to eventually develop the software. If they had given up on the idea altogether, they'd be taking them out of cars and producing cheaper headlights.

I won't be holding my breath, but would agree with the article that introducing them to the X is at least suggestive of an intention to eventually develop the software. If they had given up on the idea altogether, they'd be taking them out of cars and producing cheaper headlights.
The only thing I’d conclude is they might finally be thinking about RHD Xs and matrix lights allowing for simpler beam alignment.

Perhaps, but that assumes it is actually cheaper to make non-matrix headlights vs having one set of headlights used on everything, at scale. I'd suggest having multiple versions of "dumb" headlights for different markets is actually more expensive (and wasteful) for them.

Tesla started fitted heated steering wheels to everything, even cars that don't come with them enabled, and even cars that can't get them enabled (pre 2021). Presumably they did this because it was more cost effective for their supply chain, even if the part itself was more expensive.

Same with heated rear seats. Hardware fitted, might not ever get activated by any owner.

Perhaps, but that assumes it is actually cheaper to make non-matrix headlights vs having one set of headlights used on everything, at scale. I'd suggest having multiple versions of "dumb" headlights for different markets is actually more expensive (and wasteful) for them.

Tesla started fitted heated steering wheels to everything, even cars that don't come with them enabled, and even cars that can't get them enabled (pre 2021). Presumably they did this because it was more cost effective for their supply chain, even if the part itself was more expensive.

Same with heated rear seats. Hardware fitted, might not ever get activated by any owner.

Sure it makes sense with the heated wheels and rear seats. But aren't the lights all different shapes per model, so they'd have to do some tooling and production setup to produce a Model X matrix headlight, even if it can share internal components with other models. Then those internal components are more expensive than the existing projectors/reflectors. I just struggle to see how setting up for and making Model X matrix headlights could be a cost saving compared to just continuing with the current lights, if they never plan to use the matrix tech. But I'm not the Tesla accountant!

Also, if it's really happening, I doubt it'll be that soon anyway. From what I read on the US side, the recent 'approval' of active/matrix headlights, which would presumably be the catalyst for them actually wanting to bother with them, was only really approval to start writing some technical regulations for how they would be implemented. So still not likely to be actually in operation anytime soon.

Reactions: Durzel
From what I read matrix headlights are controlled via a camera which obviously the Tesla has but is it high enough resolution to control matrix functions? Could it be that this is something we will see introduced after the alleged upgrade to 5MP cameras that is coming soon? And thus only on cars built after that point?

I’m not going to hold my breath. But bearing in mind the capabilities of the existing TV, you‘d think it wouldn’t be difficult for them to add in adaptive headlights based on what the car can already see. They could probably get an intern to do it, but they’ve probably got them busy adding games, instead.

From what I read matrix headlights are controlled via a camera which obviously the Tesla has but is it high enough resolution to control matrix functions? Could it be that this is something we will see introduced after the alleged upgrade to 5MP cameras that is coming soon? And thus only on cars built after that point?
How does the camera resolution compare to Audi which had the function working for years using the same matrix?

As I see things the solution is simple - auto high beams now work well and therefore know that other vehicles are in view, so it is trivial to blank the likely area and throw in an AI to refine for the individual vehicle/secario.
What's missing is political will

Do they? Since when? Is this from a recent update?
(Haven’t even bothered trying mine for ages, they’ve been so crap…)
I'm not sure just when it happened but they are certainly much better now than they were. I bought my M3P in September 2020 and after trying the auto high beam function and finding it unusable didn't bother any further. Then a month or two ago I read reports on here that they had improved and tried them again - far better. They are still too slow to return to high beam after dipping and are iffy in urban environments, but suffice it to say that I leave them enabled now and they are at least as good as the ones I had on my Golf R prior to the Tesla.

How does the camera resolution compare to Audi which had the function working for years using the same matrix?

As I see things the solution is simple - auto high beams now work well and therefore know that other vehicles are in view, so it is trivial to blank the likely area and throw in an AI to refine for the individual vehicle/secario.
What's missing is political will
As you say Audi et al have had this functionality for years, and it gets better with every generation. Newer Audis (and possibly others) will do discrete lane illumination too, for what lane you're in and where you're moving to, as well as projecting icons and warning signs ON the road, like a lane HUD. Polestar have (I believe) tech that will actually mask out road signs as well to improve readability of them.

All very clever stuff, none of which seems to require the ever imminent single stack, Dojo, FSD beta 12, long form tweets on Twitter, or whatever - as is apparently required for Tesla to deliver it.

I believe seeing on Twitter that Tesla announced they'd designed a "global" headlight that can meet the regulations in every market.

Perhaps they never intended to use the matrix elements for anything other than changing the beam pattern in different markets.

I can only think of a few reasons they haven’t done this yet:

1. Someone has a patent on this and they don’t want to pay
2. Not legal in US and not interested in doing something just for other regions
3. Model 3 / Y got them first and not having this on the Model S / X would seem weird that your lower end models had better light capabilities than your more expensive models

If none of those I don’t see why they haven’t stuck a dev on it as I’d think all the code to do this is already pretty much written in the FSD stack. It can workout what’s a vehicle so it should be able to bend light around those vehicles. They’ve got the light show that spells Tesla with the lights so the code to do funky stuff with the lights is also written. They just have to gel it together.

I do see this as more likely that RHD is coming as if it wasn’t and they are only using Matrix lights to make it cheaper to have one part for both LHD / RHD then what’s the point on a car you only sell in LHD markets. It’ll still cost more per part than a dumb LED light.

On a side note. The lights in my wife’s Tesla Model 3 are the brightest I think I’ve ever had on a car and I’ve had laser lights on a BMW in the past. Those had a very fine bright line that could dazzle someone over half a mile away on a straight road but outside of that fine bright line it was just the LED’s and weren’t so powerful. The lights Tesla use are seriously good in my books, just missing the matrix tricks.

Reactions: ACarneiro

heck they don’t even use the ‘global’ matrix lights and set them to LHD when you’re in Europe. Not even a menu option to say ‘LHD mode’. Which presumably they can set for actual LHD cars.

I’m now imagining how badly the car sometimes thinks trucks are jumping into your lane when they’re two lanes over, and that same computer controlling the lights. It’d be like a Jean Michel Jarre laser show!