Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Matrix headlights - when?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I see all the barriers to enabling all the active matrix headlight features have been lifted. I can't find anything on when all these fancy new features will be enabled. I assume they'll be enabled through software update but am I just not seeing it, or has it not been enabled yet? If not, any idea when?

Reactions: CheapBastid
I see all the barriers to enabling all the active matrix headlight features have been lifted. I can't find anything on when all these fancy new features will be enabled. I assume they'll be enabled through software update but am I just not seeing it, or has it not been enabled yet? If not, any idea when?
It is not enabled yet, but I imagine it is in Tesla's software pipeline. They already showed their hardware capabilities by way of the light show mode when parked. Obviously no one here knows, but I imagine they could be in development of the software and then move that into testing/validation before it gets pushed out as an update.

Reactions: XPsionic
Upvote 0
Wait until 2024 MY for what? My car already has the active matrix headlights. I just want Tesla to enable them.

From my point of view, the car does not have matrix headlights. It has hardware, but matrix headlights require all the smarts to make that happen. There's a lot more lines of code than just setting a config flag to enable them.

I like Tesla because they're so tightly integrated. They could have bought a complete package from Bosch or Hella or somebody, where that package has its own cameras and it's own smarts, but that would make them like the big-3 American car companies: devoid of technology and control over their own future for anything other than the financing department*. The downside is that we have to wait for Tesla to create the functionality, and listen to people whinge about how some other car already has the functionality.

I want them to finish the matrix headlights, too, but not us much as I want them to finish USB music playback, or better automatic wipers. Sigh. I suspect, though, that matrix headlights will get more love in the short term: right now its a missing feature. USB music and auto-wipers are good enough to get the sale, you don't have that "WTF?" moment until after you've accepted it.

Upvote 0
From my point of view, the car does not have matrix headlights. It has hardware, but matrix headlights require all the smarts to make that happen. There's a lot more lines of code than just setting a config flag to enable them.
It is possible. They already have them programmed to spell "TESLA" on the wall when you do the lightshow. - You can do a lot of things with programming if the hardware is already there.

Reactions: Mperezkr
Upvote 0
any idea when?

Sometime after the supply of matrix lights becomes reliable. They never managed to convert Model Y's to the new light, nevermind the 3's in other markets and already after only one year of production they've had to revert back to the old projector light on all Model 3s.

I like Tesla because they're so tightly integrated. They could have bought a complete package from Bosch or Hella or somebody...

The original headlight assemblies were designed and built by Bosch and the new matrix lights with Samsung's 102 "PixCell" array were designed and built by Hella. Or somebody ;)

Upvote 0
The original headlight assemblies were designed and built by Bosch and the new matrix lights with Samsung's 102 "PixCell" array were designed and built by Hella. Or somebody ;)
Yes I know, but that's not my point. In spite of the complexity in the light modules (heat sinks, fans, shutters, shutter motors), Tesla is still buying a dumb unit : it's the modern equivalent of a bulb. The smarts behind the automatic and adaptive lighting (or automatic wipers) is something that Tesla does themselves.

Upvote 0
Yes I know, but that's not my point. In spite of the complexity in the light modules (heat sinks, fans, shutters, shutter motors), Tesla is still buying a dumb unit : it's the modern equivalent of a bulb. The smarts behind the automatic and adaptive lighting (or automatic wipers) is something that Tesla does themselves.
I agree with your point, but not that it necessarily benefits the customer. If they had purchased the 'smarts' from Hella or Bosch instead of just the hardware, then it would likely be implemented already and also work perfectly. Instead, we have to hope and wonder if/when they'll ever prioritize it inside Tesla, and then probably get some half-baked solution in the end. Let's be honest with ourselves here, the auto-high beams (just as one example) are probably the worst performing on the market. The rest of the industry solved this decades ago and it works great, but Tesla decided to build their own algorithm and the result is far below average. I personally expect the same result if and when they ever release the matrix headlight algorithm. I hope I'm wrong, but past performance doesn't give me much confidence.

Upvote 0
I agree with your point, but not that it necessarily benefits the customer. If they had purchased the 'smarts' from Hella or Bosch instead of just the hardware, then it would likely be implemented already and also work perfectly. Instead, we have to hope and wonder if/when they'll ever prioritize it inside Tesla, and then probably get some half-baked solution in the end. Let's be honest with ourselves here, the auto-high beams (just as one example) are probably the worst performing on the market. The rest of the industry solved this decades ago and it works great, but Tesla decided to build their own algorithm and the result is far below average. I personally expect the same result if and when they ever release the matrix headlight algorithm. I hope I'm wrong, but past performance doesn't give me much confidence.

Yes I agree that it does not necessarily benefit the consumer. But I have long been bothered by companies whose core competencies are things like financing or dealing with labor unions, while outsourcing the technology of the products themselves. Long term I think we're better off if that is addressed. Short term you are right, there are plenty of non-Tesla cars with better automatic-wipers or automatic high beams. My money went toward not just a car that I wanted to drive, but also voting with my wallet for the behavior that I preferred, even if that means I have to suffer with their growing pains.

Reactions: Sackmonkey
Upvote 0