Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Matrix Headlights

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I currently own a 2021 M3SR+ and have been considering ordering a 2022 MYLR. Are the LR’s being built and delivered with Matrix Headlights? I know the Performance models are. Thanks!

I got my new 2022 MIC build MY LR AWD a week ago and it HAS the matrix led. Every LR in the show room had them. As an former M3 owner i can tell you: the difference is crazy.

I ordered a Model 3 LR (MSM, 19" sport wheels) delivery sometime in August. I've been following all the M3 Matrix headlight posts. It seems that Tesla started to deliver all M3's with new Matrix headlights but then shifted to only including them in the Performance Model and reverted to older style lamps in the LR and RW. In parking lots I've seen newer M3's with what I believe are the matrix lamps. So to investigate this confusion and hopefully gain some clarity, today I went to the Tesla "store" where I ordered my car in Los Angeles in the Topanga Mall to ask a sales person about this. His answer was not what I expected and frankly confused me. I asked him if my LR M3 would come with new Matrix headlights since I've heard only the performance model has them. His answer, as if reading from a propaganda script was, "all 3 versions of the Model 3 NEVER had Matrix headlights, only the Models S & X cars have them." I told him I've seen newer (Chrome delete model) Model 3's with Matrix lights. I've watched all the You Tube videos that clearly show how to distinguish the Matrix lights from the older style. He denied my claim that at one time M3's had Matrix and said "you're wrong, they never had them". Then he said, if you order a Tesla car, Tesla will deliver whatever they feel like with no promises as to features. I was taken aback by his denial of what I've seen and heard on this subject. I've been deliberating whether to refuse the car if it doesn't arrive with Matrix, but I'll probably accept it, bummed knowing that it will diminish the resale value. So according to this Tesla sales rep, everybody who believes or claims to have a M3 with Matrix headlamps is wrong.... I find this hard to digest... curious if anybody else has been fed this propaganda.

Reactions: jpelaston
I ordered a Model 3 LR (MSM, 19" sport wheels) delivery sometime in August. I've been following all the M3 Matrix headlight posts. It seems that Tesla started to deliver all M3's with new Matrix headlights but then shifted to only including them in the Performance Model and reverted to older style lamps in the LR and RW. In parking lots I've seen newer M3's with what I believe are the matrix lamps. So to investigate this confusion and hopefully gain some clarity, today I went to the Tesla "store" where I ordered my car in Los Angeles in the Topanga Mall to ask a sales person about this. His answer was not what I expected and frankly confused me. I asked him if my LR M3 would come with new Matrix headlights since I've heard only the performance model has them. His answer, as if reading from a propaganda script was, "all 3 versions of the Model 3 NEVER had Matrix headlights, only the Models S & X cars have them." I told him I've seen newer (Chrome delete model) Model 3's with Matrix lights. I've watched all the You Tube videos that clearly show how to distinguish the Matrix lights from the older style. He denied my claim that at one time M3's had Matrix and said "you're wrong, they never had them". Then he said, if you order a Tesla car, Tesla will deliver whatever they feel like with no promises as to features. I was taken aback by his denial of what I've seen and heard on this subject. I've been deliberating whether to refuse the car if it doesn't arrive with Matrix, but I'll probably accept it, bummed knowing that it will diminish the resale value. So according to this Tesla sales rep, everybody who believes or claims to have a M3 with Matrix headlamps is wrong.... I find this hard to digest... curious if anybody else has been fed this propaganda.
I would not pay any more attention to what this guy says to you.

Model Y: As many others, I've been following this issue for a while. My MYLR does not have the Matrix projector lights, and I understood this would be the case a long time before taking delivery - even though it was something I was really hoping would happened sometime in 2021.

Model 3: aside from tons of confirming reports on this forum, how do I know that Fremont-made M3LR and M3P do have the Matrix headlights? Because I've watched the Christmas light show operate on these cars owned by others, and they project the word TESLA onto the wall in front of the car. This is pretty unambiguous proof of the matrix headlight. The Tesla Guru employee that you've been speaking to is incorrect.

I have not personally seen an M3SR+ or new Austin MYSR-AWD, but again there are many discussions on TMC that you can rely on better than your proven-incorrect Tesla employee. That said, I would certainly agree with the part where he told you that Tesla can and will do anything they want, whenever they want, going forward.

This sales person is misinformed. It seems very clear to me that Tesla sales representatives have absolutely no foreknowledge of upcoming products/features, or in some cases knowledge about current features, that is not accessible to the rest of us online. I don’t trust anything they say.

I bet less than 1% of Tesla owners know what matrix headlights are. Your resale will be fine. People come up with the weirdest stuff sometimes.

Reactions: morbidz
Can someone let me know if this is old or matrix headlight
99C87DF6-EE4A-4A89-9E74-C653CA8A1E31.png

Those are Matrix. Run the light show and they will project the word "TESLA" if you want to confirm for yourself, but I'm confident they are Matrix by the number of elements/sections/whatever. Matrix has 3, old style has 5 ish.