Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Matrix LED Headlights Retrofit Journey

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This thread will go over my journey on getting the Matrix LED Headlights on Pre-Refresh Refresh Model S (Feb 2021 - Feb 2022). In theory this should also work for 2016(?)+ Model S with the same reflector headlights, but I don't have one to test. My thoughts are usually all over the place, so this will just be a log and a place to get input/feedback.

Matrix Headlight part numbers:
Left 1563713-00-B
Right 1563714-00-B

Prices ~$1100 each

LED Reflector Headlight part numbers:
Left 1053570-00-G
Right 1053571-00-G

Wiring Pinout Details: Pinout Model S Headlight?

Old Female Plug Parts (For a pair of headlights): (WIP Do not order)
PartPart NumberQtyNotes
Wire Seal (3.6mm)964972-14
Wire Seal (5.2mm)963294-14
Wire Plug (3.6mm)1394132-112
Wire Plug (5.2mm)828922-18
Wire Tab (1.6mm)963904-14100 Cut Strip
Wire Tab (2.8mm)1-962915-14100 Cut Strip
Female Plug1-969871-12Only found on Alibaba

New Male Plug Parts (For a pair of headlights): (WIP)
PartPart NumberQtyNotes

LIN Data:
WIP

Last edited:
The matrix headlights generally have logic and pixels that turn on and off and vary in intensity. They are smart lights under computer control. I don't see how you will be able to control the matrix just by swapping them with our dumb LED lights. I feel they have controllers and different wiring, and it may be integrated into the cameras and "visualization" of the environment to process dimming of pixels to mask around approaching cars, and the rear of the car in front of you., and brighten light elsewhere where cars are not. Other manufacturers' matrix lights can illuminate pedestrians and animals along the side of the road, and track them as you drive buy. I don't know how Tesla has implemented the lights, however.

The matrix headlights generally have logic and pixels that turn on and off and vary in intensity. They are smart lights under computer control. I don't see how you will be able to control the matrix just by swapping them with our dumb LED lights. I feel they have controllers and different wiring, and it may be integrated into the cameras and "visualization" of the environment to process dimming of pixels to mask around approaching cars, and the rear of the car in front of you., and brighten light elsewhere where cars are not. Other manufacturers' matrix lights can illuminate pedestrians and animals along the side of the road, and track them as you drive buy. I don't know how Tesla has implemented the lights, however.
This would include a chip to convert the "digital command signals" over the LIN bus to the headlights from the old ones to the new ones. Just takes reading a log of the different functions on the existing headlights and new headlights then mapping one function to another.

This will not support true matrix LED auto high beams, but will take advantage of the brighter illumination and self leveling capabilities of them.

Last edited:
There was a thread on FB somewhere where an owner had both the pre-refresh refresh and refresh refresh and he compared both light outputs. There's definitely more coverage at the sides and down the streets, but perhaps not enough to get people to try to see if they can retrofit.

Here is my screenshot of the 2 different light outputs:
1648834564972.png

That being said, you're my hero... good luck!

Hard to do a 1-1 comparison unless you lock the exposure settings (iso, shutter speed/angle) between recordings. If you check the 25 MPH speed limit sign, on the bottom one it's a little darker, which means the headlights seem a bit dimmer compared to if they were taken with the same settings as the top one. Only means the matrix ones are better than the video can really provide.

Also got pricing and they're $1100 each. So $2200 a pair.

The tail lights were refreshed to accomodate the bigger charging port on the left side, and are a different size from the pre-refresh refresh 2018-2021+. I think you will require body work to fit the new lens and exterior shape. I don't know if you can just replace the inside.

• Disagree
Reactions: Freshness
They are the same exact shape on the outside
Interesting...I would have thought otherwise since they form a single lense with the new, larger charging port door/lense. It sure looks like the rear of the charging port door is taller than the older charging port door, and it is the same height as the rear lights to integrate with the rear tailights, which should make them larger. Did they just redesign the interior of the charging port keeping it the same exterior dimensions? I thought it was made larger....

• Disagree
Reactions: Freshness
Haven't looked into the tail lights. If anything the ones that attach to the trunk lid would be an easy replacement, but would still require a new applique and LIN translation.

Side tail lights would be difficult due to new charging port hardware, see this EPC entry for two different part numbers for the HV inlet
1648949101998.png

Fender changes likely not required due to another part not listed on EPC (Part #2)
1648949135435.png

Last edited:
Reactions: DerbyDave
There was a thread on FB somewhere where an owner had both the pre-refresh refresh and refresh refresh and he compared both light outputs. There's definitely more coverage at the sides and down the streets, but perhaps not enough to get people to try to see if they can retrofit.

Here is my screenshot of the 2 different light outputs:
View attachment 788818
That being said, you're my hero... good luck!
Thanks for posting. Not sure if the aperture was the same and they did everything they could to make it as fair a comparison as possible, but nice to see an A/B comparison.

Having said that, I do notice a difference. The light seems more even and with fewer hotspots. Obviously, a bit better off to the side as mentioned by others.

It is enough for me to worry about retrofitting, can't say that it is at this point. Even more, since 90% of my driving is no city driving. If something were to happen to my current lights, and a retrofit was an option, then I might consider it. I have to say that I like the look of rear of the car better with the taillights I have and trim than the newer one which makes it look too much like a 3/Y from the rear.

Haven't looked into the tail lights. If anything the ones that attach to the trunk lid would be an easy replacement, but would still require a new applique and LIN translation.

Side tail lights would be difficult due to new charging port hardware, see this EPC entry for two different part numbers for the HV inlet
View attachment 789363
Fender changes likely not required due to another part not listed on EPC (Part #2)
View attachment 789364
I wonder if the old charge port can be rigged onto the new light. Might look like crap when you open the charge port, hmm

Pengy, if you can make this chip thingy and teach us how to retrofit the new lights, you can definitely make a few bucks. I’m considering taking a $20k bath and trading in my Plaid for the new.

You are our only hope Pengy
View attachment 789469
Save yourself $20k/put $20k into a stock fund, and turn on your driving/foglights on your Plaid..your light output will then almost equal what I see above as the matrix light output.

Save yourself $20k/put $20k into a stock fund, and turn on your driving/foglights on your Plaid..your light output will then almost equal what I see above as the matrix light output.
When you drive an S for a couple years, go to a 3 and then a Y, and back to an S, you will understand how horrible these headlights are. Plus, what I really really want are the taillights. I have enough TSLA stonks tyvm