Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Matrix LED Headlights Retrofit Journey

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Interesting part is; I saw someone picked up Model S few weeks back on a same day as me and his car got updated lights but not mine. And people at Tesla told me that they had to stop the production in a middle of the day for an hour and then start installing refreshed lights, the ones not out from the door got updated, I guess it should be plug n play but for matrix headlights to work we might need different module and software.

Reactions: buckets0fun
If you are replacing the tail lights, are you going to somehow try and replace the stopping light bar across the rear windshield?
Absolutely not, that requires removing the rear glass 😂. Unless I somehow accidently break my rear glass... accidently. Also I don't have much interest in replacing the tail lights, just providing extra information as I'm learning.

• Love
Reactions: jacie6056
When you drive an S for a couple years, go to a 3 and then a Y, and back to an S, you will understand how horrible these headlights are. Plus, what I really really want are the taillights. I have enough TSLA stonks tyvm
Best you can do for the tail lights without touching the HV cables would only be changing the tail lights on the trunk. Would require new tail lights (trunk), applique bracket, applique (not available in EPC) without a guarantee that it would actually fit. This is just from information in the service manual and EPC.

• Love
I asked the mobile tech about the new lights when he came to service my car. He said they already have had several complaints since people are not used to a portion shutting off to avoid blinding on coming traffic and think something is wrong. The complaint is a large area goes black and reduces night time visibility. Maybe just people who are not familiar with matrix lights or maybe a legitimate gripe. Just passing on info I got.

• Informative
Reactions: paulchou
I asked the mobile tech about the new lights when he came to service my car. He said they already have had several complaints since people are not used to a portion shutting off to avoid blinding on coming traffic and think something is wrong. The complaint is a large area goes black and reduces night time visibility. Maybe just people who are not familiar with matrix lights or maybe a legitimate gripe. Just passing on info I got.
Thanks for the info. My plans are to have 0 matrix capabilities at the start so these issues would not occur. Only standard low beam pattern and high beam will be enabled.

• Love
Could also be that Teslas software control is not all that good yet. The matrix setup is only as good as the software controlling it and the cameras vision. Maybe getting confused with other lighting such as street lights and shutting off when not required. Would not surprise me after living with their auto high beams and auto wiper functions which are far from perfect however the wipers have gotten much better and almost function as one would expect. Give it time and they will iron it out.

Eh? I didn’t think that functionality was enabled yet.

Eh? I didn’t think that functionality was enabled yet.
Only going by what the tech told me. I am in Canada so there are no restrictions like in the US regarding matrix lighting so I assume ours up here do work like the cars across the pond. They eventually will work in the US once all the law makers finalize everything so maybe before 2060. :rolleyes:

Reactions: buckets0fun
Only going by what the tech told me. I am in Canada so there are no restrictions like in the US regarding matrix lighting so I assume ours up here do work like the cars across the pond. They eventually will work in the US once all the law makers finalize everything so maybe before 2060. :rolleyes:
As far as I'm aware, Tesla hasn't enabled matrix capability anywhere in the world.

Best you can do for the tail lights without touching the HV cables would only be changing the tail lights on the trunk. Would require new tail lights (trunk), applique bracket, applique (not available in EPC) without a guarantee that it would actually fit. This is just from information in the service manual and EPC.
Are you going to try to retrofit the outside taillight w/ new charger door? Does the assembly for that piece have separate connections for the charger inlet and taillight? I was thinking to Frankenstein the old inlet into the new taillight assembly

Are you going to try to retrofit the outside taillight w/ new charger door? Does the assembly for that piece have separate connections for the charger inlet and taillight? I was thinking to Frankenstein the old inlet into the new taillight assembly
Absolutely not, that requires removing the rear glass 😂. Unless I somehow accidently break my rear glass... accidently. Also I don't have much interest in replacing the tail lights, just providing extra information as I'm learning.

Could also be that Teslas software control is not all that good yet. The matrix setup is only as good as the software controlling it and the cameras vision. Maybe getting confused with other lighting such as street lights and shutting off when not required. Would not surprise me after living with their auto high beams and auto wiper functions which are far from perfect however the wipers have gotten much better and almost function as one would expect. Give it time and they will iron it out.
Sound like complaint of Auto High-beam, which we already know the algorithm sucks. Matrix (selective black-out) hasn’t been enabled by Tesla.

For what its worth, the connectors for tail lights are the same. Got the refresh refresh headlight connector information too so will be ordering parts and compiling a list
Mmm what if all interested in the tail lights chip in $$$ and get them for your experiment to try?

I got a 21 Model S at EOQ with a hefty discount that I couldn’t resist, but I have the old lights…whatever…BUT I do like the new tail lights….headlights…I like the old ones better in term of looks.

I also have a Y and can’t see a difference to be honest with the current light output on the S with the old headlights.

Reactions: anthonyj
I have to say I absolutely enjoy these threads on the lights. While at first I was disappointed I just missed the cutoff as I was inclined toward the new headlights when I saw them. The more this plays out, the less FOMO I have. I absolutely don't like the rear lights on a white car as much as I do the old ones.

I do hope the headlights are a possible retrofit in case they do something actually worthwhile with the matrix lights. I'd love to have options and depending on the price and actual improvements, I might consider it. If from a cost/benefit perspective it might make more sense to just upgrade the car in a year or two and get whatever new updates they have then.

Anyway, kudos to everyone who helps move the needle on this enterprise.

Mmm what if all interested in the tail lights chip in $$$ and get them for your experiment to try?

I got a 21 Model S at EOQ with a hefty discount that I couldn’t resist, but I have the old lights…whatever…BUT I do like the new tail lights….headlights…I like the old ones better in term of looks.

I also have a Y and can’t see a difference to be honest with the current light output on the S with the old headlights.
As mentioned later in the thread, it requires disconnecting the high voltage connectors on the charging inlet, which I am not comfortable doing. As well as a new applique and mounting hardware that isn't available in epc.