Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Matrix LED Headlights Retrofit Journey

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Filed a parts order along with my service request... they didn't order parts... man
Filed another "service" request for parts. This is stupid.

Anyways logging harness done for the new headlights. Meeting with a Refresh Refresh plaid owner on Sunday to record headlight commands.
Also mockup prototypes of lin proxy PCB:
Screenshot 2022-04-28 234832.jpg

Anyone going to try the tail light retrofit journey? New tail lights do look good in person.
I thought about it, but that would most likely require gateway configuration change since charge port door would be on different communication and it has to update the visualization in the screen. Also the fact that it messes with the high voltage wiring I'm probably going to pass on it.

I thought about it, but that would most likely require gateway configuration change since charge port door would be on different communication and it has to update the visualization in the screen. Also the fact that it messes with the high voltage wiring I'm probably going to pass on it.
there is a way to disable the power and then work on it, Service Center told me that if I replace the tail lights, car needs to be reprogrammed or install software version which supports new charging port, however there is no retrofit option available at this moment.

Project on major delay until LIN Transceivers are in stock again
It looks like 2 distributors have stocks :

Reactions: 127.0.0.0
Are they really that cheap? If so, I might consider this upgrade if it actually pans out. I will definitely keep my current taillights though. One Model 3 in the garage is enough to stare at.
Yup, if this doesn't pan out, it'll be easily resalable somewhere
Is this just matrix headlights you ordered. or is Tesla Service going to try to install these Matrix lights ? I am assuming this is for Non Matrix Headlight tesla..

I hope you can make this happen. I so want to upgrade my Model S plaid lights to Matrix...
Trying to make it work myself

@pengy Is your intention to simply get the Matrix Headlights working in the 3 basic modes of operation: 1) Low-beam, 2) High-beam, and 3) Left/Right slew (with turn)?

So there will be no active matrix functionality, as that'd require a level of integration that's not possible without software update on the Tesla-end to provide the matrix dimming data/commands (Tesla hasn't enabled this to-date).

Cool project nonetheless. I'd be totally content with just functionality #1, #2, and #3.

• Helpful
Reactions: 127.0.0.0
@pengy Is your intention to simply get the Matrix Headlights working in the 3 basic modes of operation: 1) Low-beam, 2) High-beam, and 3) Left/Right slew (with turn)?

So there will be no active matrix functionality, as that'd require a level of integration that's not possible without software update on the Tesla-end to provide the matrix dimming data/commands (Tesla hasn't enabled this to-date).

Cool project nonetheless. I'd be totally content with just functionality #1, #2, and #3.
Full matrix is possible, but would require external input like a cellphone camera mounted on the windshield.

You are correct in the modes of operation, just add on height adjustment control as well.