Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Mats. The velcro stinks. Is there a solution?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am nearing a year of ownership and my (driver) floor mat no longer sticks to the velcro sewn into the floor. Therefore, the mat tends to slide and bunch up around the pedals. No bueno.

I have Weathertech in the trunk and frunk but don't like the aesthetic in the cabin.

Anyone have a solution via other options or fixing the OEM option?

Last edited:
We complained about the same problem, our mats were replaced with a newer design, but it still used the Velcro dots on the back of the mat with the corresponding loop on the screw into the carpet thing. After that failed again, My Ranger Glued the velcro dots on and so far that seems to be working, he said if that failed he'd have them sewn on. You might try contacting Tesla service assuming your car is still under warranty.

We complained about the same problem, our mats were replaced with a newer design, but it still used the Velcro dots on the back of the mat with the corresponding loop on the screw into the carpet thing. After that failed again, My Ranger Glued the velcro dots on and so far that seems to be working, he said if that failed he'd have them sewn on. You might try contacting Tesla service assuming your car is still under warranty.
Same issue for my 2014... except one mat was missing the velcro entirely! SC gave me a whole new set of mats, no questions asked. I highly recommend you go that route.

Look into Furstil 6.6 Cocomats. I have them in my 2015 85D and love them. The material is a woven synthetic that is luxurious, super tough, and easy to clean. Driver's mat comes with a rubberized heel pad as well.

They aren't cheap but they are my favorite accessory by far.

The OEM Model S mats have a velcro circle on the underside at the back end near the seat, and this has a sort-of cut-out line. After some time, with pulling and more with removing and installing the mat (my detailing car wash likes to remove the mats to thoroughly vacuum under them), the round cut out separates from the back of the mat and the adhesive gets bunched up. I have gotten my Tesla Service Center to replace my mats twice without any hassle as a safety issue, since the mats then slide up and get bunched up under the pedals (...remember the famous Lexus/Toyota lawsuit in which a family died with improperly installed mats getting stuck around the pedals). Oh, and if the velcro backing is OK, sometimes the hard plastic circular velcro screw-in attachment (which is screwed into the carpet) gets unscrewed or loose. These should be checked regularly and screwed back in.

Our favorite mat is 3D Maxpider Kagu. We have them in our Model S and should be receiving a set for our Model 3 this week. Can't say enough good things about them and they have a velcro-like texture on the bottom that keeps them in place. All weather, sort of carbon-fiber like look I guess, hose off for easy clean up. No ridges for that truck like look, side walls of the mat fit well in the car without flopping over. There are a number of threads with photos of it on the forum--do a search for Kagu and/or Maxpider.

Kind of a long video but it will give you a good idea of the mats. The guy bought a tan color mat and actually being a lighter color it's maybe easier to see on video. Ours came in the same box as his. The Tesla mats do not have any floor anchors. Not necessary. Really stays in place. We have black carpeting in our MS and the black is a good look in them.

The only thing people tend to object to is the metal logo that's on the front mats. Kind of agree, but we've learned to live with it. some people have colored them black to hide it a bit more. If you are leaning towards buying a set, check around on the internet. You'll find them sold on Amazon, Ebay, Autoanything.com, and a few other places. Some places offer free shipping and even offer a discount on top of that so it can pay to do a little research.

Last edited:
Its a VW/Audi solution, but I used them and like them.

From here: OEM / Performance / Maintenance / Repair / Replacement Parts and kits for Audi, BMW, Mercedes Benz, Mini, Porsche and Volkswagen - ECS Tuning

FloorMatHolder.jpg